tech/math/grind saved my life

Double D

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, Job for a Cowboy is a death metal band? Haha.

This new-fangled 'deathcore' genre, I do believe.

The best way to approach deathcore is to accept that the more mindlessly stupid it is, the better it is.

Therefore Suicide Silence > Acacia Strain > JFAC.

Bonus points if songs have repeated catchphrases such as "PULL THE TRIGGER BITCH" or "THIS IS A FUCKING NIGHTMARE" or "BY THE END I'M GOING TO BE THE ONLY ONE STANDING".

They may be stupid bollocks, but I've seen both Suicide Silence and Acacia Strain on their only UK tours and they're two of the most entertaining shows I've seen in the last 12 months (out of something like 80-100 bands).

jpgm, you listen to almost exactly the same stuff as my friend naben who plays in this vancouver band called Bend Sinister. you might not actually like them (they play pop-prog a la Queen and Supertramp), but you might take a look. more likely, I should point him towards your bands. you guys kinda dress in a similar style, too. though you have nicer clothes.

variety is the spice of life! i listen to pretty much everything really. ill check them out when i get a chance for sure.....big queen fan right here! feel free to point him our website/s :)

I think the 2005 remaster of Petitioning the Empty Sky may well now be my second favourite album (no prizes for guessing the first). Listening to the later CDs, it sounds like Jacob has really fucked up his vocal chords with his dodgy throat-screaming technique.

ill have to check out the remastered version...its been quite a while since i listened to that record.

has no one mentioned Discordance Axis yet? Unalienable Dreamless makes most other grind unnecessary

discordance axis are ridiculously good......dave witte's drumming is unbelievable.

No Shit? Did you only play local?

I saw Raised Fist when they came out last year... fucking awesome. Those guys bring an intense show. But Alle has fucked his voice pretty bad and they had to cancel a few tours after it got worse on the AU tour.

yeah, just the perth shows for all of em.

now, raised fist....thats a band i havent listened to in years. used to be well into them back in 99/2000....ill have to pull out some of my old records. great band, so energetic! they always reminded me of strife, but more european sounding, and with less of a metallic hardcore (pre-'metalcore') influence.

now, raised fist....thats a band i havent listened to in years. used to be well into them back in 99/2000....ill have to pull out some of my old records. great band, so energetic! they always reminded me of strife, but more european sounding, and with less of a metallic hardcore (pre-'metalcore') influence.

The last 12 months has been great for gigs around Au. Converge, Raised Fist, Unearth, Darkest Hour.. It's been awesome to see these bands coming out.

I remember seeing Converge and Raised fist being announced pretty much around the same time and I was ecstatic.

Even Raised Fist's new shit is wicked. Bloody oath they are energetic though. They definitely have that distinct euro sound too. It's hot shit.

Did you ever listen to Refused?

• 2 weeks later...

DEP's tours have been delayed due to Ben breaking his foot.

Good news for me, seeing as they won't be clashing with the Envy tour anymore.

Also, the new Between the Buried and Me album seems to me to be 50% outrageously-proggy genius and 50% studio engineering... if they couldn't play Alaska live properly, this is fucking overkill. Still, as a record alone it's a great achievement.

I can't stand between the buried and me, but I am interested in seeing DEP. I kind of stopped listening to them, but the clips I heard from the unreleased album sound pretty nutty, I'm interested again. This particular batch of studio musicians ben has rounded up are pretty impressive...haha

Guest itsmeJT
I figured I gathered enough lovers of technical hardcore/grind/death to warrant this topic.

So for you people who love nothing more than gloriously fucking loud shit interspersed with jazz riffs in 7/4, post your recommendations and throw some shit out there. In case you don't know the drill yet, I'm talking about shit like The Red Chord, DEP, Converge, Into The Moat, From A Second Story Window, Ion Dissonance, Burnt By The Sun, A Life Once Lost, Between The Buried And Me... you can fill the rest in for yourselves.

Seeing as I've started this topic, here's some local shit for you fellows to check out:

Rolo Tomassi (http://www.myspace.com/rolotomassi) - Calculating Infinity riffs, batshit loud vocals from a tiny blonde woman, synthesizer mayhem.

Chronicles of Adam West (http://www.myspace.com/coaw) - Sadly departed, angry, frenetic and technical hardcore with a live show that made Converge sound like a bunch of whinging girl's blouses.

Architects (http://www.myspace.com/architectsuk) - Hometown heroes, who since the departure of Sikth from the scene look to become the flag-fliers for British technical metal and hardcore.

hiie9.jpg

• 7 months later...

Yeah man...sorry for my first post in this thread...I sometimes blank at genre'izing.

I think my list for this type of stuff would go like:

-Deadguy (esp. Work Ethic...coming from my love for Rorschach)

-Botch

-early DEP

-Daughters (will be seeing them in a few weeks at Williamsburg Music Hall...also don't mind the cleaned up vocals)

-Nadir (probably one of the only grindcore bands I really fucks with...the vocals especially are a good loook since they aren't crazy raped pig gutterals)

-Wetnurse (saw them with DenimVenom and Casket Architects at Lit a few weeks ago...the new material is even crazier since Gene pretty much moved away from the gutterals and they aren't as sludgey this time around)

Yeah, I guess I'm really not into gutterals.

im out of the loop.

what is the techy ist technical technique breakdown core- whatever band around right now? no dep or btbam or anything. I want techhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh whoa

Like the fucking champs with shitty tone and testosterone

what is that band

Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Pig Destroyer - Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Pig Destroyer - Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Pig Destroyer - Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Pig Destroyer - Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Pig Destroyer - Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Pig Destroyer - Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Pig Destroyer - Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Pig Destroyer - Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Pig Destroyer - Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Pig Destroyer.

Although it seems silly to drag the topic further astray from helping you keagan....

The one time I enjoyed Pig Destroyer was when I saw them play a set with Jessica Rylan (Can't) and Donna Parker playing too as the noise duo Secret Diary, blasting out all kinds of crazy feedback and distorted vocals from the lip of the stage while Pig Destroyer just kept doing their thing behind. Made no sense but was lots of fun (and totally set the mood for wolf eyes to go on next better than a striaght up Pig Destroyer set would have!)

but if you want more accessible/slightly more tame:

the locust

headwound city

daughters

arab on radar

some girls

holy molar

child abuse

this is shit i listened to a lot in early high school.

let's hear some mention of XBXRX

and i take it no one likes/knows about lightning bolt?

well lightning bolt is incredibly technical/violent so i thought that it was applicable, but i suppose when you say math/grind/tech you mean fucking job for a cowboy or some metal... so i guess i'm just not on the same page.

Holy Molar came out on three one g records, the early 2000s haven for grind core. I'm trying to guide people in a direction of legitimacy.

but i guess we can just keep talking about metal, too. nevermind. CONVERGE ROX

holy molar isn't garage. the bassist for the locust is a member. just visit their myspace or pick up a record and you'll see.

actually, just check out a few of the bands on my list and see what you think. maybe i approach grind/jazzcore in a different way than the guys in here. maybe you'll even like it, who knows?!

where's mention of THE FLYING LUTTENBACHERS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

or orthrelm

or naked city

you can't talk math/grind/jazzcore/etc without these names. get it straight

Props for Naked City. THAT is some shit right there.

but if you want more accessible/slightly more tame:

the locust

headwound city

daughters

arab on radar

some girls

holy molar

child abuse

this is shit i listened to a lot in early high school.

let's hear some mention of XBXRX

and i take it no one likes/knows about lightning bolt?

Also for Child Abuse.

Haha a real 31G type o guy huh. Holy Molar I thought was more on some Powerviolence shit...but maybe they ARE grindcore...it's hard to distinguish the two sometimes. Haven't taken a sec to check out Headwound City...but love the name.

Also I must say that Arab On Radar is a pretty hilarious sight/sound.

appreciate your response, my friend. i thought i might be out on my own in here. i was in a grindcore band way back, so i have some history. the three one g list was partially just to draw attention to a core influential group. so what are you into, hebay?

this grindcore thing has laid dormant with me for quite a while, but once i saw this post i broke out some old classics.

+++ rep for recognition of naked city. now if some of the others would come around...;)

edit: i saw child abuse about 4 yyears ago, opening for fucking GENGHIS TRON. needless to say, i was so awestruck after child abuse that i left for fear that the genghis tron follow up would sully the otherwise flawless evening.

well lightning bolt is incredibly technical/g

No they're not. Im sick of hearing that. brian bchippendale is a average drummer.

I don't like metal really at all, by the way. Don't get mad. Locust stink. Again, don't get maddmdmdmdmdmddadas (mad).

Props for Naked City. THAT is some shit right there.

Ugh. Seriously? The only Naked City albums I can listen to anymore are Absinthe and (sometimes) Leng T'che. The rest of it.... sheeeeehs. The jumpcuts are just pure schtick. I'd rather listen to music.

That and they've got nothing do do with this thread. thomparetta's Flying Luttenbachers reference was actually a good deal more more worthwhile in terms of relevance here (post Vandermark era at least). I can only take Weasel Walter in small doses but the man's a fucking machine.

appreciate your response, my friend. i thought i might be out on my own in here. i was in a grindcore band way back, so i have some history. the three one g list was partially just to draw attention to a core influential group. so what are you into, hebay?

this grindcore thing has laid dormant with me for quite a while, but once i saw this post i broke out some old classics.

+++ rep for recognition of naked city. now if some of the others would come around...;)

edit: i saw child abuse about 4 yyears ago, opening for fucking GENGHIS TRON. needless to say, i was so awestruck after child abuse that i left for fear that the genghis tron follow up would sully the otherwise flawless evening.

I actually just posted a list on the page before this one. That being said, I'm not into a large amount of "metal" or grind...but a few bands in both genres really do it for me. I have more of a background in hardcore punk although I also came up listening to sludgier shit like Dazzling Killmen and Craw...older Skin Graft Records stuff and like Steve Albini'esque bands (Big Black, Rapeman, early Shellac, Uzeda, Jesus Lizard, etc.).

As long as it's ugly and not too extreme on the whole long hair guitar solo noodling assault...either singing about unicorns and goblins in a far off land or burping in gutterals about goats and sacrificial blood...I could probably dig it. I'm still digging to get into more of the stuff though.

And no...not a Converge fan at all. Dunno what it is...but those cats don't do it for me (maybe I need a friend with their catalog to school me).

As for threeoneg...I can dig the Locust, but I'd rather the Swing Kids discog over 'em any day...at this point. My other favorite would be Jenny Piccolo.

I don't like metal really at all, by the way. Don't get mad. Locust stink. Again, don't get maddmdmdmdmdmddadas (mad).

Not mad and not trying to pull cards...but didn't you name drop/give props to The Locust in the Heroin/Gravity Recs/San Diego thread? Which then resulted in a small back & forth with Poly...which is why I remember that...cause of Poly's wonderful response (loosely quoted) "The Locust fucking suck...if you knew anything about hardcore, you'd know they sucked"...I got a little chuckle out of his hatred for that band. I guess with time your taste has changed?