paper or plastic?

paper or plastic?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. paper or plastic?

I enjoy receiving paper bags just because of the infrequency that I do. They're nice to use for hand puppets and book covers for my little cousins. From an ethical perspective it's kind of even. I do have more uses with plastic bags, but I like carrying lunch in a paper bag til a visvim deer skin lunch pale is released.

Paper.

Trees can be managed as a sustainable resource, while plastic will still be around after the sun gives up.

I shouldn't worry too much though cos you won't have to choose soon: Plastic is a bi-product of oil and that's all going to be gone by April next year, anyway.

Yes I believe it's patroleum based? That's a scary thought, what's the next fuel source going to be?

a "funny" thing is that they made biodegradable plastic bags in order to reduce the pollution in the nature. But the thing is that the production of those bags causes more pollution than the fabrication of the non-biodegradable plastic bags.

which one is the best now?

whats with the one item per plastic bag method in the US by the way? whenever I go to a publix some idiot packs a bottle of coke in one bag, box of cereal in one, packet of ham and cheese in one etc. when I could really fit everything into a single one? is this a nationwide thing..? :confused:

I'm not sure how many times environmental concern has been discussed on sufu, but I can see much more coming from this thread.

sybaritical, I disagree. Leather is the new car smell, and my noodles will come in non-biodegradable styrofoam!

Edit: I think styrofoam is actually part plastic? What the hell is styrofoam?!?!?

HAHA @ red.

whats with the one item per plastic bag method in the US by the way? whenever I go to a publix some idiot packs a bottle of coke in one bag, box of cereal in one, packet of ham and cheese in one etc. when I could really fit everything into a single one? is this a nationwide thing..? :confused:

This drives me crazy, and they try to do it every time I buy groceries, I end up just pulling things out and putting them all in one. The other thing they do is double bag everything, no matter how light it is it needs two bags!

I usually try to bring my own tote for shopping, I die a little inside everytime I have to use a plastic bag.

When you are a cashier at a supermarket, you should see the variety of complaints you get about packing...

When I worked in one for 2 years, old people would complain bags are too heavy if I didn't pack them like that, I always gave the person an option to pack the bags themself, every single person wants their things packed differently, so while what that person was doing was an extreme case, there are also reasons people pack certain ways.

If someone buys 2 bottles of soda, ice cream, yogurt, Windex, and cereal...

Keep the soda together in one plastic bag (plastic bags are weak, and it is a pain if people have to walk a big distance or up stairs, they want less in each bag because it is easier for them)

Ice cream and yogurt in another (because they are cold items, keeping each other cold)

Cereal in its own bag, because it doesn't group into other bags

Windex in its own bag, because you don't put cleaning products with food

Cashiering is such a pain, glad I have a real job now

What are you doing in the south?

When you are a cashier at a supermarket, you should see the variety of complaints you get about packing...

When I worked in one for 2 years, old people would complain bags are too heavy if I didn't pack them like that, I always gave the person an option to pack the bags themself, every single person wants their things packed differently, so while what that person was doing was an extreme case, there are also reasons people pack certain ways.

If someone buys 2 bottles of soda, ice cream, yogurt, Windex, and cereal...

Keep the soda together in one plastic bag (plastic bags are weak, and it is a pain if people have to walk a big distance or up stairs, they want less in each bag because it is easier for them)

Ice cream and yogurt in another (because they are cold items, keeping each other cold)

Cereal in its own bag, because it doesn't group into other bags

Windex in its own bag, because you don't put cleaning products with food

Cashiering is such a pain, glad I have a real job now

that's utterly retarded. I just don't buy more than i can carry in my own arms or fit in my own bag. then again I don't shop at supermarkets unless it's vital.

i am not sure if one is the more ethical choice

cut down trees (paper)

fill up landfill forever (plastic)

at least paper bags are recyclable

i try to reuse the plastic bags but still...

there is the option of reusable bags, but that complicates the issue

not plastic. you will never reuse them enough - promise.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/08/10/plastic_bags/

that's utterly retarded. I just don't buy more than i can carry in my own arms or fit in my own bag. then again I don't shop at supermarkets unless it's vital.

well you may feel lucky to have that luxury, other people on the other hand, may only get to go shopping once a week with their work schedule, and they buy alot, and lots of different things, and sometimes these are feeble people who cannot lift much at once, you need to look at everyone not just yourself and how you want YOUR grocerys... The easiest way for this, is to just tell the person who is bagging your groceries/checking you out of the store exactly how you want them packed, it will make you more satisfied, and their job easier...

i used to be a grocery bagger, and bagging in paper bags was like playing tetris without the egyptian music.

Yeah pain in the ass. Then I had the people who had me double bag with paper inside of plastic. They wanted handles for there paper bags.

Edit: Also I use tote bags when I remember to take them. Safeway sells reusable bags for 99 cents a pop. Seems like a lot of are people are using them.

To me it seems more environmentally sustainable to use paper bags, since trees can be regrown. I have seen paper made of bamboo as well, but I haven't heard of it being used in a shopping bag application.

Of course, the best thing is to use some sort of reusable non-petroleum based bag.

well you may feel lucky to have that luxury, other people on the other hand, may only get to go shopping once a week with their work schedule, and they buy alot, and lots of different things, and sometimes these are feeble people who cannot lift much at once, you need to look at everyone not just yourself and how you want YOUR grocerys... The easiest way for this, is to just tell the person who is bagging your groceries/checking you out of the store exactly how you want them packed, it will make you more satisfied, and their job easier...

aren't you an angry little kitten? I've got tiny arms, mate, for the record. people buy too much, at the end of the day. consumerism is out of control, especially in america.

you know what might work, stores should first of all use normal plastic bags that are thick enough to carry a full load, not those see-through break-through ones. it doesn't have to be a lot thicker, just thick enough to carry more then one soda bottle. then, start charging 15c or something for a bag. thats what grocery stores do here. this encourages people to bring a shopping bag of their own and if they dont, atleast not to take a million fucking bags.

what goes for categorizing the shit in different bags, it makes no difference imo. most likely all items are packed into atleast one container, so packing cleaning stuff into to same bag with cereal, bottles or whatever wont hurt. also, packing cold stuff with something non-frozen wont melt them any faster.

personally if I have more then one bag I just try to balance the weight a bit between the bags.

while I can see what you mean with old people, this doesnt change the fact that I'm always given 4 bags when I'd need 1. this is most likely done to every single healthy person visiting that store who would be cabable of carrying one slightly heavier bag just fine. you can do the math on how much excess waste this generates in a country like the US.

What are you doing in the south?

this was in Florrida, I was there for the omc gay bash

Yeah pain in the ass. Then I had the people who had me double bag with paper inside of plastic. They wanted handles for there paper bags.

Edit: Also I use tote bags when I remember to take them. Safeway sells reusable bags for 99 cents a pop. Seems like a lot of are people are using them.

it was actually quite fun. when ever the cereal boxes fit perfectly on top of the oreos and there was just enough room for the loaf of bread, in that single moment, i felt as if i had a purpose in life.

you dont get that with plastic bags. the foods always shifting and shafting as if they were in a fucking scrotum.

but yea: paper IN plastic was teh sux.

I'm not saying I agree with what you have to do as a Cashier, but that is what the non environmentally friendly customer/the company wants you to do...

Personally, as long as my chemical items as seperate from my food, i'm happy, as long as nothing gets crushed/destroyed in the process (which is another reason they do it, chips and soda in the same bag, half the chips get crushed, people blame the person packing, store loses money.. etc etc,

America is full of fat and lazy people, its not my fault, and i don't like it anymore than anyone else

yea I can see your point

I think purchasable bags and self-packing would be a pretty good solution. if someone is actually unable to pack their groceries due ilness or something, then of course the cashier could help. or maybe one cashier out of multiple ones could have packing help, rest would be self service.