Judging your own music....

keagan

Is there some study on this? I can't seem to determine weather or not my music is up to par. People tell me they like my stuff, but I won't accept that....

Sometimes on one hand I like it a lot, because my music is a good representation of want I to hear and so my brain registers as a good track.

And at the same time I assume my heads up my ass and that I like it just because it is something I created when really it's shite.

If, for example my track was by Loco Dice or some other shithead I wouldn't think much of it.

Also if you email a track to XXX superstar dj and you know they listened to it, but they don't respond at all- that means they don't care for it and I should just fuck off? I don't ask for a response back, by the way... just "hey, heres my stuff; thanks"

gyuihojm'pkl,;'.'/

Is there some study on this? I can't seem to determine weather or not my music is up to par. People tell me they like my stuff, but I won't accept that....

Sometimes on one hand I like it a lot, because my music is a good representation of want I to hear and so my brain registers as a good track.

And at the same time I assume my heads up my ass and that I like it just because it is something I created when really it's shite.

If, for example my track was by Loco Dice or some other shithead I wouldn't think much of it.

Also if you email a track to XXX superstar dj and you know they listened to it, but they don't respond at all- that means they don't care for it and I should just fuck off? I don't ask for a response back, by the way... just "hey, heres my stuff; thanks"

gyuihojm'pkl,;'.'/

YOU WILL NEVER BE COOL

TIME 2 DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

gyuihojm'pkl,;'.'/

im sure theres been many articles, academic and otherwise, written on the subject, itd be interesting to have a read of them.

i always find it totally impossible to be objective.....sometimes i think what i am doing is great, and other times i will think something similar to what you did re: loco dice - 'if x was doing it, i'd think it was the same old thing i've heard before' etc etc.

that said though, people come to shows and buy our records, and people enjoy our music, regardless of whether what we are doing is good/up to par/interesting/original etc etc (which is a question that is futile to ask anyway....appreciation and interpretation of music is obviously entirely subjective). that, plus the fact that i am enjoying myself, is more than enough for me. anything else is a cherry on top.

re: mr superstar dj.....how many tunes do you think they get sent on a daily basis? id say itd have to be something fucking special for them to comment back. i get shown/sent music (and am a nobody) and itll have to be something pretty damn spectacular for me to take the time to get back to them, especially if they havent asked.

bottom line keagan.....enjoy what youre doing, and if people like it, thats a bonus.