Bespoke suit in Hong Kong

dr_fresh

Sup everyone,

I'm going to HK in mid November. I saw an earlier thread about tailor made suits and shirts on this board a few months ago.

Anyways I was just looking to get some info on what places are worth checking out?

I remember a name someone had mentioned H.K Custom Tailors in the Mirador Arcade? How much? How was the quality? Did you bring in a pic from a magazine?

Is there any other tailors you have had positive experiences and recommend? I'm looking to pick up 3-4 suits, shirts and ties.

on a different note also looking to cop some Jordans in HK....any suggestions?

Peace

you're asking about the quality and basically any suit you get bespoke will be better than a store bought one because it'll be tailored to fit your body. you choose your materials and everything. all you're buying at a store is brand name.

i've been to multiple tailors in HK. i have one named peter at broadway tailors.

http://www.hkbroadwaycustomtailor.com/

he's in the mirador. i felt he did a good job.

but the one most people go to is sam's tailor. his shop is the one that has done work for people like tony blair, jude law, pierce bronson, etc. he's probably the most famous tailor in HK.

http://www.samstailor.biz/

i had a suit done by him and it was a pretty good job.

comparing the two, they were pretty much the same though. i was pleased with both of the suits. sam's is just more famous. i can't remember how much i paid for each one but i think they were about 2400 HKD.

the problem with HK tailors is that you ahve to be very specific on how you want the suit cut.. say if you want a slim dior-like silhouette. they're very used to making traditional classic suits. i brought in a magazine and told them what i wanted. its a lot of fun getting measured and picking out the material, lining, and buttons.

i suggest you go to the page one in ocean terminal and go to the japanese section. they have a magazine on suits that covers everything from silhouettes to materials. the pictures are phenomenal. its a better guide that bringing in them a GQ or details magazine.

i usually get shirts made in china in lo wu city. they're only $16 USD a pop. chepaer than HK. i wouldn't advise gettin a suit made there. shirts is ok though.

you're asking about the quality and basically any suit you get bespoke will be better than a store bought one because it'll be tailored to fit your body. you choose your materials and everything. all you're buying at a store is brand name.

good fit doesn't equal good quality though

comparing the two, they were pretty much the same though. i was pleased with both of the suits. sam's is just more famous. i can't remember how much i paid for each one but i think they were about 2400 HKD..

Hmm, went to Sam's website and realised he is one of those 24 hours tailors. I thought that is synonymous with a rush job? I thought bespoke tailoring is something that takes many days of fittings before a proper job is done?

good fit doesn't equal good quality though

but brand name always equals quality? its a bespoke suit. you pick the materials yourself. they have swatches upon swatches of fine wools from italy.

Hmm, went to Sam's website and realised he is one of those 24 hours tailors. I thought that is synonymous with a rush job? I thought bespoke tailoring is something that takes many days of fittings before a proper job is done?

sam can do it in 24 hours. its just an option he provides. but usually it takes about a week. i went in 3 times. one for the measuring, next for the fitting, then the final fitting. it took about a week for me.

but brand name always equals quality? its a bespoke suit. you pick the materials yourself. they have swatches upon swatches of fine wools from italy.

who said brand name equals quality? you said that any bespoke suit is better than any off the rack. there's a lot more to a high quality suit than the materials. there are tailors all over asia and the US that use high quality materials but whose workmanship is so shotty that the suit either doesn't fit as well as a mtm suit should or it will fall apart at the seams.

sam can do it in 24 hours. its just an option he provides. but usually it takes about a week. i went in 3 times. one for the measuring, next for the fitting, then the final fitting. it took about a week for me.

If he does it in 24 hours it would mean the job is divided into bits and pieces and done by different people and stuck together.

I go to my tailor for MTM or bespoke pants. 1 time for measurement, and second time the actual pants are done. But after trying out, I still can return it to him for alterations to make sure it fits what I want.

I guess in my case its a cross between MTM and bespoke because I can tell him how I want it to be done ie. pockets straight, buttons not zip but he dont have that many fancy buttons and materials for me to play with so I guess its a bit like MTM.

• 2 months later...

also, if anyone has any rec with good tailor for suits and shirts (do they make ties too?), do let me know!

So far I know:

Janzen Tailor (courtesy of thegrapist:D)

Room 202 & 204, 2nd Floor, United Chinese Bank Building, 31-37 Des Voeux Road Central, Hong Kong.

Tel: (852) 28108080.

Sam's Tailor (one of the famous HK tailor, but dont know if they are any good:confused:)

Ground Floor,

Burlington Arcade

94 Nathan Rd,

Tsim Sha Tsui

Kowloon, Hong Kong,

S.A.R., China

Tel (852) 2367-9423

Just got back from HK a couple weeks ago.

Got all my shirts made at Janzten Tailor. Great workmanship, definitely recommended!

Got my suits made at Cheung Hing Tailor in Central. My friends in HK get there stuff made there so I just went there with them. Pre-trip I was planning to go to HK Custom Tailor (mirador arcade on nathan road, tst). I was very pleased with the outcome of the Cheung Hing Tailor, you really need to specify what u want and how u want it cut. I just made sure I wanted the suit to be fitted (aka very slim). Taking some pictures from magazines wouldn't hurt either. He didn't speak english though, so if your thinking about seeing him, take someone who speaks chinese.

also, if anyone has any rec with good tailor for suits and shirts (do they make ties too?), do let me know!

So far I know:

Janzen Tailor (courtesy of thegrapist:D)

Room 202 & 204, 2nd Floor, United Chinese Bank Building, 31-37 Des Voeux Road Central, Hong Kong.

Tel: (852) 28108080.

Sam's Tailor (one of the famous HK tailor, but dont know if they are any good:confused:)

Ground Floor,

Burlington Arcade

94 Nathan Rd,

Tsim Sha Tsui

Kowloon, Hong Kong,

S.A.R., China

Tel (852) 2367-9423

I also had some shirts made over at Janzen's and as far as value goes, its hard to beat! Just make sure you opt for better quality buttons as the standard pieces are somewhat subpar.

There's been a lot of mixed reviews about Sam's Tailor and given his celebrity clientele list, his turnaround time is quite fast from reviews and I also heard only good things about WW Chan despite a higher price tag but a great selection of Italian based wool.