Takumi Denim

gimmegimme

• 4 weeks later...
I agree (in fact...I created this thread prior to seeing the horrid website).

Having said that...Gordon must see something to carry them in his store??? Then again, they carry Stitches. :rolleyes:

Superfuturians alone can't support BIG indefinitely. Maybe Gordon is trying to extend his reach up into Midtown cause these things are......horrid. Sorry

Ang: Heh...Lucky for me they carry one-wash joints.

Last time I went through to BIG, I didn't have the urge to try them on...but heads had a convo about them and the first thing Gordon said was that the fit was really, quite great (he actually said "one of the best fitting jeans in the store"). I didn't get to see for myself yet...but next time I go there for a fitting, I'll throw them on to see (the lower rise joints).

I also got the gist that the dude behind Takumi actually wanted the website to be overthetop, corny, silly, etc. on purpose...on some joke shit. Not the slickest business move at all, but that "joke" theory sorta makes sense given that these ARE actually very nice jeans, plus all of the nice "same mills as Samurai" background info.

In other words, the website is very deceiving in that it makes BIG look like they're trying to assist a straight-up attempt to crossover to mainstream markets with raw selvage Japanese denim, but that's not what it is. I'm not defending dude, the site isn't an effective joke or strategy to gain respect from those in the market you are trying to reach, but the jeans are actually quite nice if you can get passed the back pocket business/busy'ness. I see that as reason enough for Gordon to support/carry them.

• 10 months later...

not sure if people already saw this, but i wanted to make sure i got a pair before broadcasting it

all takumi 50% off:

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=71&Itemid=28

looks like they have close to full size runs in the raw and ow versions of both cuts

i agree the arcuates are fuckin wack, but it's nothing a seam ripper can't fix

Edited by Bona Drag

not sure if people already saw this, but i wanted to make sure i got a pair before broadcasting it

all takumi 50% off:

Good deal for sure. I'd pick a pair up if I didn't already have too much raw denim to break in. But definitely throw some picks up when you get them. I'm interested in seeing some detail and fit pics.

This past Tuesday I went to BIG specifically to check these out. IMO, some of the worst denim I've ever felt. It has no weight to it and they weren't even stiff. Not to mention the back pockets.

I don't think they're worth it, even with the discount. If you've seen these in person you'd understand why they had a full size run on all models.

2 l8!

seriously, i don't doubt you know what you're talking about, but i also value jubei's opinion pretty highly, so i figured why not

worst case, i'll have some store credit at big

best case, crazy deal on some nice denimz (after seam ripper surgery)

i'll give a full report when they show up; no pics though, as i currently don't have the capacity

:(

got here yesterday
denim is really, really good - i agree you can tell it's a little less than 14oz, but it has a nice hand and color to it
dyed really well too

i'd say it compares pretty well to the repro stuff i've handled in person - warehouse, pbj, sda, skull, somet
maybe not quite as good as some, but definitely top tier

i have a few beefs; the arcuates will come off easy, and the selvage back pocket doesn't really bother me, but i'm not too psyched about the flowery waist lining, the off-center/overstitched back belt loop, or the crooked black patch
plus they'll probably need a tapering job done before i'm really feeling the fit (i got the vintage cut b/c i can't really fuck with low rise anymore)
i realize that's a long list

BUT

i can forgive a lot for $125
i may still take the credit instead, but i'll take it up in the this or that thread

i would def recommend checking out the low rise classic cut; if you have a good fit out of the box, just tear off the pocket stitching and you've got an amazing pair of jeans for the price

Edited by Bona Drag

yep, i looked at them too the other day. it's pretty soft, not stiff. not nearly as soft as something like seven jeans though. they felt pretty lightweight. i didn't really care for the texture of the denim nor did i particularly like the color. as for the design of pocket - you could rip out the threads on the pocket but that selvedge line looked stupid.

i ended up getting fullcount 1108's instead. (fuck it's my first purchase and i think i did well since the fit is PERFECT and the color/texture is amazing but 255+ tax brings it to 266 and that hurts a lot!)

btw i tried on like 7 pairs of jeans to decide on the fullcount and so i have no idea how all you people buy jeans without actually trying them on for fit beforehand... seems like every pair has a distinct cut which changes the fit so much, don't know how u could ascertain the fit from measurements online.

I am interested in seeing what new products Takumi is rolling out this season. If I had to venture a guess, I'd predict that the exposed selvage is going to go bye-bye, but who knows.

I did see the 50% off sale the other day and it definitely piqued my interest. It would be a good starter jean for anybody looking to get into the japanese repro game. Their fabric is a little closer to the quirkier companies than other alternatives at the same price point (RRL, APC, Nudie)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...