Takumi Denim

gimmegimme

Just noticed this brand listed on BiG's website and didn't find much info on them on here. Anyone see them in person? Can't say I love the selvage on the outside of the back pockets, but the denim itself looks decent (in the pics anyway).

Worth checking out?

link - http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&manufacturer_id=40&Itemid=28

Info from big's website:

13 ounce Japanese selvage denim woven on antique

shuttle loom in Ashina-Gun located between Hiroshima

and Okayama.

Rope dyed, 13 dips

100% Cotton

Crotch rivet

Traditional Japanese indigo printed pocket bags

Handcrafted in an artisan workshop in Kojima Japan

Exposed selvage on back pockets and coin pocket

Made in Japan

I noticed that too, I think Gordon just added those either yesterday or today. They do look rather nice but I completely agree with you about the selvedge pocket design it always turns me off for some reason.

I had a selvedge coin pocket a while ago and the damn thing got all flimsy and tore, where as I don't think it would have had it been denim, so that always worries me when I see it on the back pockets.

handled it in person yesterday. Denim is definitely good stuff. I'd say that the hand is very similar to Samurai VX denim (that is to say, pretty slubby but not as much as PBJ) very stiff and dark.

apparently, the designer is an American who has outsourced the work to Japan. Woven at the same mills as Samurai, Oni et al. Didn't try them on because, like you guys I'm not huge on exposed selvage, but apparently it's more of a modern fit (i.e. not so much of an anti-fit ass) Might be worth a try if you can try them on.

I spoke with the owner a little while ago. He said his goal was to bridge the gap between the "denim enthusiast" and the guy who wears Earnest Sewn. The denim is certainly nice, but I haven't been able to wrap my mind around the back pocket design. The company is based out in Bakersfield, CA I believe. Kind of a strange spot, but KMW is based in Boulder, CO and look what they've been able to produce.

I spoke with the owner a little while ago. He said his goal was to bridge the gap between the "denim enthusiast" and the guy who wears Earnest Sewn. The denim is certainly nice, but I haven't been able to wrap my mind around the back pocket design. The company is based out in Bakersfield, CA I believe. Kind of a strange spot, but KMW is based in Boulder, CO and look what they've been able to produce.

total aside, but it has to be pointed out: bakersfield, CA and Boulder, CA could not be more different. I mean . . . Boulder is a decent enough place, but Bakersfield is seriously horrid. Not a damn thing redeeming about Bakersfield. (Yes, I am waiting for someone to type, in all caps: BUCK OWENS, but sorry, he sucks too.)

anyhow, continue.

its Boulder, CO, and of course they are different. what I meant was they both locations are well outside of the traditional denim scene (LA, NYC, and even Texas and Canada to some extent) KMW is also outsourcing all of their production and have had good results.

hmmm... very interesting... not too dissimilar to something I am bringing in.. I should contact the guy at BiG's to see if he would like to get an early crack at them. Same area of production, same finishing area too but 14 oz denim using Zimbabwe cotton. Also would retail about $75-100 less than those. Just got final samples in now and will get first shipment in about a month. Only other difference is they are not raw.. but raw would be easy to order and cheaper as well... if there is demand for it anyway...

So - what are you bringing in, Raijin...

It's a new brand so there is not a whole lot to see yet. I've worn them a bit around town and got noticed at both Ron Herman and HTC (Santa Monica) so I was hoping to start there for sales. I will also be looking for online retailers as well but for the moment I've only got one set of samples and a couple early samples that I have been wearing.

Once they are out there I hope some people here might show in interest in them or share their opinions of them. I'll certainly be posting about them more as they make their way into stores. These are first runs but hopefully there will be few problems with them.

I also had some heavy oz custom fabrics done but I simply could not afford to put those into production without pre-orders but hopefully I will have 2 different original 19oz fabrics for Fall 08.

Here's some more info:

article saying both the denim and the jeans are made in Japan:

http://denimnews.blogspot.com/2007/06/incoming-takumi-clothing-word-on-street.html

And the company's website which is SO cheesy:

http://www.takumi-clothing.com/

I think the company did a decent job getting all the details down that your run-of-the-mill denimhead would want...but then added unnecessary details to make them stand out at Fred Segal.

Wow...that is a pretty corny website...from the music to the scrolling shots of the models.

But on the other hand, I like what I see of the denim and will be headed to BIG in the next couple days to check 'em out in person.

But on the other hand, I like what I see of the denim and will be headed to BIG in the next couple days to check 'em out in person.

And remember to get your right size, Slim. No sizing up.

I thought that at first with KMW...I assumed it was hokey and not worth looking at, but they ended up being a decent brand...I think Oni is doing it now too. :confused:

ive been wanting so bad a pair of the oni blues, but the back-pocket selvage really is a breaker for me. i loved their one-shuttle denim @BIG, but i just cant fuck w/those back pockets. dumb question, but could Noriko take it off without trace? i should've asked her earlier when we were on the phone...but i was too busy trying to plan my trip to NY to see Nogami.

"you must do likewise to get that awesome, authentic fade"...what? disinformation is that bullshit that will make me not by your product, and bash you online... i wont by corny jeans from someone who knows less about washing denim than me.

ive been wanting so bad a pair of the oni blues, but the back-pocket selvage really is a breaker for me. i loved their one-shuttle denim @BIG, but i just cant fuck w/those back pockets. dumb question, but could Noriko take it off without trace? i should've asked her earlier when we were on the phone...but i was too busy trying to plan my trip to NY to see Nogami.

I think only the oni-vedge has the backpocket selvedge, the standard oni blue just has stitching.