SEATTLE vs. LOS ANGELES vs. SAN FRANCISCO

Guest skinnygenes

Guest skinnygenes

Don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this, but oh well.

I've been living in LA since like forever, and I think that I need to get out of here because it gets really overwhelming at times. Something about Seattle's gloomy weather and grey skies seem very appealing to me... Kinda romantic, no? I really don't know anything about Seattle except for the fact that it rains a lot over there. Oh and it's also where Starbucks was born.

Anyway, I thought about moving to San Francisco but it's just too damn dirty there (not as dirty as LA though). In my opinion, downtown SF > downtown LA. SF nightlife is quite fun and entertaining, too. I'm so sick of LA night life. It's the same shit over and over again. And the people here are so fake. It's like, where's your freaking identity? But then again, there are fake people everywhere not just in LA. It sickens me to death because I've realized that I've become one of THEM as well. :(

So my question is, would you choose Seattle, LA, or SF? And why?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ny because it has all the elements you described PLUS halal stands replacing hot dog stands for an all out foodcart battle.

agreed

although, ny's probably dirtier than sf

to me, la's where everyone goes to fit in

whereas ny's the home of misfits

but having lived in ny, i want to move to chicago or seattle

i hear such great things about washington =)

Seattle has the most cases of suicide...

But honestly, I grew up in SoCal (SD), moved to NorCal (bay area), then I'm back in SoCal (HB) and I would move back toward SF in a heart beat. I'ts very centrally located to other parts of CA, has a lot of shit to do in the city, nice public trans, interesting people (good and bad), and is still close by the water.

Seattle on the other hand, I thought it was cool as a trip there, but I couldn't stand living there. I swear I maybe saw one decent looking girl there and the rest where filthy. The weather is cool, for a few days, then you get sick of the rain and clouds and you want to kill yourself....

What kind of work are you in that you can just up and leave though? In terms of cost, Seattle is definitely cheaper than LA and SF, so that might be nice for a change, but other than that I cant recommend.

Oh I forgot you guys have the underage hooker thing on lock!!

I live in seattle but I consider the west coast my home. I've lived in SF and have fam in LA and I love them all but Seattle is the most affordable. Portland is cool as well but too chill for me. Their all connected by I-5 so jump in the car and see where you wind up.

I'm a Seattle native (mostly) and my girlfriend grew up in LA and lived in San Francisco for 4 years before moving back to LA, then up to Seattle. In the last couple of years, we've been down to both LA and San Francisco a couple of times. We talk about this a lot...

We both dislike LA for different reasons. She doesn't like the people very much and I don't like the fact that there is no center to the place and you drive for freakin' ever just to see friends, get a drink, etc.

We both like San Francisco. It is a very dirty city though and I actually think it's worse than NYC in that regard. It's expensive, but it's small and easy to get around, even without a car. The homeless situation there can be depressing, even compared to other metro areas. I'd say the weather is basically a push with Seattle.

I like Seattle, but my girlfriend still sometimes has issues with the people here. There's something called the "Seattle freeze" which supposedly describes how we're slow to warm up to strangers. Whatever. :) It's also getting increasingly expensive here as cost of living continues to rise faster than income. It's an affluent city, though and the job market is good.

I'm not really outdoorsy, but if you're into skiing, sailing, hiking, etc, Seattle wins hands down. Yes it rains here, but the weather is quite mild and unlike LA, we actually have seasons. It rarely gets above 90 or below 30 here.

There's all sorts of info out there on music, bars, food, art, etc, but obviously all of these cities have that stuff. Shopping in Seattle is only decent, but there are some really good places. Seattle also has the best radio station on earth!

Good luck!

seattle people are cool. but sometimes very arrogant, whether it's justified or not. i think it's a pretty cool place. very relaxed and has a cool vibe. time moves pretty slow there, unlike in new york where time is always a scarce commodity.

san francisco is nice. but i think i still like seattle better. maybe cuz i grew up there.

LA is great to visit but i wouldn't want to live there. then again, you have a lot of great things in LA.

if seattle were a little bit more urban and streetsmart, i would prefer it over nyc. i wish i could meld the two cities into the ultimate super-city.

Seattle is great.

When people think about Washington, they usually think constant rain and an abundance of evergreen trees. Though this may be true, Seattle is also much more then that. Seattle is well known for it's scenic views and nightlife, not to mention we are the Headquarters to Boeing, Microsoft and Starbucks. Shopping is another great aspect of Seattle, the shops here tend to carry some of the finest Superfuture-approved labels in the world.

We also get the best mary jane on this side of the country!

SF is great if you like it, but it's a bitch to get around. all these people who tell you it's no big deal aren't telling you about all the times you sit and wait 45 minutes for busses that never come and shit...and while the city isn't all that big you don't really want to be walking from the mission to the sunset right? and there is no parking if you have a car. i'm getting the feeling you're just not looking around la hard enough.

oh and the ridiculous population of trust fund anarcho bike hipsters in SF is enough to keep me from moving there, although i did consider it for a while. oh and it's fucking COLD in the summer.

Guest skinnygenes

I could care less about outdoor activities... People categorize beaches and pretty palm trees with LA, but I never go to the beach. It's just.. gross and unsanitary, especially Santa Monica beach. But if you drive to Laguna or something, their beaches are a bit cleaner although technically, it's the OC not LA.

I've actually been to NY and it was just too much for me to handle. There are so many people and it smelled like urine everywhere I went. Maybe I'm just overexaggerating a bit but it was not a pleasant experience. SF is crowded too, but it seemed more relaxed and chill than NY.

I live in the Hancock Park/Larchmont/The Grove area in LA, and housing is expensive here. Great location, but pricy housing. So compared to where I live, would it be more or less expensive living in Seattle/SF?

I live in the Hancock Park/Larchmont/The Grove area in LA, and housing is expensive here. Great location, but pricy housing. So compared to where I live, would it be more or less expensive living in Seattle/SF?

Obviously depends on what part of Seattle and what part of SF you are looking at. Generally, LA is a bit cheaper than SF (LA is huge and there are tons of areas) and Seattle is a bit cheaper than LA. However, if you want to be in the "it" areas in a newer apartment in each city, the prices get alot closer to one another. Where you live in LA, a decent 1 bedroom goes for $1500-1700; you'd be hard pressed to find a newer 1 bedroom in central SF for that price.

As someone who has lived in all 3 of these cities (near SF, not in SF) I can safely say that if you have alot of money, LA is by far the best of the three, but the people blow and so does traffic. Seattle is nice, but I would never move back there. As much time as I have spent in SF, I still always feel sick of it after 2 or 3 days. It's a small city, and easy to get around, but I don't care for it much.

As far as your nightlife quips with LA go, it seems you've been hanging around and going out in the wrong areas. Sunset and most W. Hollywood clubs are garbage because they are full of frat guys, hipsters, and posers. SF has an area like this as well, it's called the Marina District. There are several areas in LA with completely different vibes and people other than the typical LA douche (for instance, Venice, Silver Lake, etc.)..........

You could always try moving further south. San Diego, San Clemente, Aliso, etc. Gets you out of LA (doesn't get you out of the high prices though) but you can still be close for activities and shopping, etc. I kind of like the balance of beach life and city life, although I definitely hear you about the people in LA.

There are several areas in LA with completely different vibes and people other than the typical LA douche (for instance, Venice, Silver Lake, etc.)..........

...echo park, downtown, culver city...