I need your guys' opinion

Ok,

So another member and I have recently had some bad luck in a supermarket purchase. I was interested in a pair of pants he was selling and I promptly paypal'd him the funds. He in turn shipped them out a few days via USPS. Its been more than a month and no pants in sight. The tracking number isn't generating any new information so I am basically at a loss. I went down to my local postoffice and it isn't waiting for me there either. However, he said I could ask for your guys opinion on how a refund or any type of reimbursement should be handled.

What do you guys think?

-Full refund?

-Partial refund?

-Nothing at all.

I am that other person. I embedded our pm dialogue for perspective. Basically, I am of the opinion that since I did not imply insurance and because none was requested that our transaction was a mutual risk, which is why I offered half a refund. My determination is also partly due to the fact the tracking number is not generating any info and I cannot get an explanation at the post office as to why.

At the same time though, I'm not trying to fuck anyone over, or just be unfair for that matter, and I realize how my opinion might be biased considering the fact that my wallet is involved. Moreover, I'm not trying to ruin my rep on supermarket because I enjoy buying and selling there.

Thanks in advance for your considerations and opinions.

Yeah, I posted an opinion thread in supertrash. If this isn't the proper outlet, let me know.
Man, I'm sorry. I just got back from the post office. They gave me the adress to some place in Atlanta where lost packages go to. They said that it's possible that the adress could have gotten ripped off or something rendering the package undeliverable and that that's where it would have ended up.

I will definitely puruse this option. I suspect, however, that it will be futile.

I'll have money in my paypal this weekend and would be willing to offer half a refund with the condition that you give me your word that if you ever recieve the package you reimburse me and that if I ever recieve it I refund you the rest of the money.

I realize that you might find this completely unacceptable and may consider me completely responsible... If you started a thread in which other sufuer's would opine as to whether I should refund you completely, I would most likely refund you completely if the majority of them felt that was what was right. (hewsinator, iirc, did something like this once and that seemed a reasonable soloution, in my opinion, to an issue he had had with another member)

You might have some reluctance, understandably, to do something like that, especially considering that it might get shit on or locked. If this is the case, I could also suggest having a moderator, or two, or three opine instead.

Please let me know what you think.

Danny

Also, have you had a chance to get down to the local post office to make sure its not sitting there?
thanks man. i appreciate your follow through. :)
damn, I figured you had since I hadn't heard anything. Ok, well I'll try my best to get down to the post office tomorrow, but it might not be till Thursday.
Hey man, just wondering if you've recieved this. The tracking number isn't generating any info. Please let me know.
Yeah, it is 0483 5970 0210 5104 7413. I ended up not getting these shipped till the 12th. Sorry about that, but you should receive them any day now.

I'm gonna email you a picture of the reciept for your own piece of mind too...

Hey man, I got your payment and will get these out tomorrow. Thanks!
whats your payapl? 50 shipped is a deal!

happen to have a tracking number?

thanks for the info! still waiting patiently though :(

yeah man..still havent received them...

yeah, went down to the local post office and nothing was to be found.

wierd, theres definetly some strange shit that happens to mail sometimes

luckily ive never had too bad of an experience, and whenever possible i try to get shipping/delivery confirm

UPS is shit in Canada however if ur buying internationally, and i have a personall vanedetta against the company

i do however love FedEx and DHL

I dont know what would be the 100% correct way to go, but if I was on either side I'd probably go with half refund just to make both sides feel decent about it. its not either ones fault so I think that would be fair.

Definitely no full refund. The seller has held up their end of the bargain, the fact that USPS lost the package has nothing at all to do with the seller/is not the seller's fault.

Strictly speaking, I don't think the seller has any obligation at all to offer any form of refund. They have done everything they were required to do.

Unfortunately, it is your problem/fault that you didn't pay the extra for insurance.

However, I can appreciate the fact the seller wants to maintain a relationship of goodwill etc, and to have a positive image on superfuture/market. Refund of half maximum is a good middleground.

Props to both you guys for being so reasonable and level-headed about it.

You are both on the same situation, you lost money. The seller lost more money since he might have paid it retail and might be selling at a bargain, so he lost the money of his investment, and the money of the item itself. The fault is both or none of you... I think that half refund is already good.

In this case the seller fully complied with his obligations. The buyer accepted the shipping method implicitly offered by the seller and therefore he accepted all the known risks accociated with this shipping method. While 1/2 refund might be good for the community spirit here, the seller should be under no obligation for such a refund and if he choose to do so, it should not in any way become a precedent for transactions made here.

I too ring in with no-to-half refund. And if that mail ever does arrive at your door, you need to defund your refund ^_^

Thanks for the feedback. We ultimately settled on a half refund.

Fuck USPS btw. No bullshit, one of the times I went in there some fucking douchebag with a ponytail said that if I thought positive my package would arrive at its destination and encouraged me to give it some more time--from a fucking supervisor!!! I couldn't believe it.