Celtics just turned things around?

hawkeye

So, the biggest news on baseball trade deadline day is that the Celtics just picked up Kevin Garnett! I can't say that I have ever really been a big basketball fan, having missed out on the big 80's C's teams by a few years, but suddenly I am intrigued. Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, seems like the laughable Celtics have just become legitimate. Danny Ainge makin moves...

Didn't NJ try the "three superstars with no chemistry" approach the last couple years... and get nowhere? And that was with a quasi-legitimate supporting cast, i.e. Mikki Moore, Krstic...

Now Boston tries the same thing, only with absolutely NO other decent players. You're telling me Rajon Rondo and Tony Allen and Kendrick Perkins are going to play big minutes on a team going deep into the playoffs?

well in defense of the Nets, Kristic was injured the whole season, so their 4 and 5 was Jason Collins and Mikki Moore. They swept the raptors in the first round. Richard Jefferson is not a legit all star caliber player like Pierce, or Allen is.

The Celtics are legit if these 3 dont get injured. But they have no bench but they have the MLE and LLE to work with.

My Knicks are going to suck for another 10 years.

Better pray the Celtics can snatch Brevin Knight away from the Clippers for the full MLE, and sign a big body with the veteran's exception. The team is in dire need of a pass first PG, who isn't a total defensive liability. Knight should be able to do pretty well in Boston.

As for a big body, there are a number of options.. but it's gonna' be tough finding someone for the veteran's minimum.

Ainge is just trying to keep his job, just like McHale. Those two should've been fired a long time ago. Ainge just put the long-term future of the franchise in doubt. As for McHale, was this the best deal he could have made? Al Jefferson is a talented young player, but in the West he's just another decent PF.

I think the new-look Celtics will definitely make things interesting in the East, but I don't think they're going to dominate, and they're certainly not a sure thing imo. And history shows that one (or both) of Pierce and Ray Ray are sure to lose a number of games due to injuries.

otoh, when kg had spree and cassell and a bunch of jokers, he almost won the west against some really tough competition

pierce and allen are far better players than those two, and the east is a joke right now

i love lebron, but that cavs team sucked

i can see the celtics taking the conference; who the hell is stopping kg in the playoffs?

I don't know, I think the celts just made themselves alot more supsceptible to failure though. Cause expectations for them to do well just skyrocketed, but all they need is one of em 3 guys to get injured and there goes theyre season. they basically traded half a team for KG.

well in defense of the Nets, Kristic was injured the whole season, so their 4 and 5 was Jason Collins and Mikki Moore. They swept the raptors in the first round. Richard Jefferson is not a legit all star caliber player like Pierce, or Allen is.

The Celtics are legit if these 3 dont get injured. But they have no bench but they have the MLE and LLE to work with.

My Knicks are going to suck for another 10 years.

I agree with everything except for u saying the Knicks Suck, we def wont be that bad this year, at least a .500 team, They knicks have a big 3 in Marbury, Curry, Randolph and a surrounding cast thats pretty good. Jamal, David Lee, Q Rich, Nate. etc

im sure they will be a shitload to better than last year (of course, how could they have been worse!!haha)...and yea, with them being in the eastern conference as well....but denver didnt fair ALL too well with both iverson and Carmello, but i believe in time they both will be legimate contenders such as the spurs, suns, and mavs.

The Knicks will still suck and I'll explain why

the Knicks have all these great wing defenders, balkman, Jeffries, marbury, Q, yet they get killed by the 3. Most teams beat the Knicks last season by chucking 3's. You had scrubs like Jason Collins, and post knee op KMart chucking 3's. I blame it on Curry, cus he was so bad on defense this year that the wing players have to leave shooters open when they gave help defense to Curry. Imagine having to send help defense to both Curry and Randolph. Curry's horrible passing is another problem. Curry, Randolph, Crawford, Nate are awful without the ball and so is Marbury to some extent.

Randolph is not the answer they should have went after a Tyson Chandler type player or develop Lee's defense to make up for Curry's mistakes. I predict teams will take advantage of the Knicks perimeter having to help defend both Curry and Randolph.

Isiah should stick to the plan and just use the players he drafted, cus they're fucking good. He drafted good defenders and off the ball scorers so use them.

Curry is a fat bastard, but Randolph is actually very lean, surprisingly lean.

Doc Rivers sucks. But then again I cant really think of a coach who can play to this team's strenghts. Maybe Nate McMillan?

i'd say greg popovich does, and has evolved his philosophy/style as the spurs have changed over the years... i.e. taking advantage of more uptempo when style as tony parker and manu ginobili have developed... Popovich is as big a reason the spurs have been consistently winning for so long now.. of course Duncan is a big help too.

And D'antoni definitely understands and plays to the Sun's strength... let Nash's brilliance dictate the offense, utilize a high scoring quick attack offense, and lots of pick-and-rolls with nash and amare (my favorite big man side of any pick-and-roll combo i've ever seen, he goes to the hoop so strong).. though i don't think d'antoni is as good as some other coaches when it comes to inbounds plays/set plays, but he is good at trying to get the match-ups he wants offensively.

Someone like jeff van gundy (terrible coach in my opinion) would be totally ruin the team because he'd be telling nash to slow it down and stressing defense to the point that marion and nash wouldnt be able to get out on the break as well.

Doc Rivers is an atrocious coach and will most likely be the reason the celtics don't win the east... but, the east doesn't seem to have any really good coaches right now (except maybe the aging pat riley but shaq is getting too old for the heat to be a factor) so who knows... if KG, pierce and allen stay healthy, they should be able to do enough that doc's futility is neutralized.

ryangomessm180ka7.jpg

anyone know where i can pick up a gomes toy like this? i'd love one. don't know if they actually made these or not. any beantown fans confirm?

The first 5,000 fans in attendance at the Boston Celtics March 21 game against the Charlotte Bobcats at the TD Banknorth Garden will receive a limited edition bobblehead of Boston Celtics forward Ryan Gomes courtesy of Southwest Airlines.

Gomes is the ninth bobblehead in the Celtics/Southwest Airlines bobblehead collection. Others in the series include, current players Paul Pierce and Al Jefferson, former players Antoine Walker and Walter McCarty, Head Coach Doc Rivers, LUCKY the Leprechaun and late Celtics patriarch Red Auerbach.

-nba.com

I'm sure they pop up on ebay every once and a while, if I ever see one Poly, you'll be the first to know.

[/i]

The first 5,000 fans in attendance at the Boston Celtics March 21 game against the Charlotte Bobcats at the TD Banknorth Garden will receive a limited edition bobblehead of Boston Celtics forward Ryan Gomes courtesy of Southwest Airlines.

Gomes is the ninth bobblehead in the Celtics/Southwest Airlines bobblehead collection. Others in the series include, current players Paul Pierce and Al Jefferson, former players Antoine Walker and Walter McCarty, Head Coach Doc Rivers, LUCKY the Leprechaun and late Celtics patriarch Red Auerbach.

-nba.com

I'm sure they pop up on ebay every once and a while, if I ever see one Poly, you'll be the first to know.

thanks. i wish i knew about that. would have paid someone to go and get me a bobblehead. i love gomes. i remember seeing him around campus at providence. out on the court his junior year he was a fucking beast. calmed a bit down senior year, and was disappointed he didn't go first round, but he's def a better player than greene

wow these are awesome. better pics

gomes1kz5.jpggomes2yf4.jpg

i know the celtics now are a far better team then before

but after allen pierce and kg depart they are screwed

i don't know if they can even win a championship the next three years

i think the bulls have a better chance

the west is still better

but hell

anything can happen in the finals since its only best of 7