Philly Chinatown bus

poly800rock

my favorite chinatown bus company new century closed down.

L&I orders bus company to cease operations

A crackdown on a Chinatown bus company created problems yesterday for Philadelphia travelers trying to get to Washington or New York.

As of 12:01 a.m., the city ordered the New Century Travel 2000 bus company to cease operations and vacate its premises, according to a code-violation sticker on the company's office door at 1027 Filbert St.

The sticker, posted by the business compliance unit of the Department of Licenses and Inspections, cited a code violation related to the transfer of drugs. It also said the eight-year-old company needed to comply with city regulations regarding a nearby "human waste transfer station." The company offers cheap transportation, providing, for example, round-trip tickets to New York for $20.- Marcia Gelbart

Which was better about it, the drug transfer or the human waste transfer? Did they hide the drugs in sewage?

a little bit of this, a little bit of that. actually, new century is the only one i take that hasn't broken down and is pretty good on time. all the rest of them actually run according to asian time which means the bus don't leave till the seats are full.

They've been advertising several new, suposedly nicer and mroe reliable DC/NY buses. They're a little pricier (like, $20 one way rather than roundtrip, which is getting close to greyhound prices, IIRC), and one even offers wifi, but do you really want to bring your laptop on the chinatown bus? I'll wait to hear a few reviews before I try.

edit: sorry to post this in the *philly* bus thread.

is this the same busline that had a turf war battle with another busline where they murdered each other?

one guy took out an AK-47... right across from an elementary school

man i took the new century bus once from DC to NYC...bastards overbooked the bus time that my friends and I were supposed to be on (2AM bus) and we ended chillin in chinatown DC til fucking 7AM when their next bus came...fuck new century, never again

• 8 months later...

DC again--Greyhound has started up the chinatown bus-inspired "bolt bus" service from DC and Philly to NY (and from NY to Boston). Apparently, coaches are brand new and nice, RELIABLY ON TIME, with free (but slow and possibly not mac-compatible) wifi, and prices that start dirt cheap and escalate based on demand. No pitstops between DC and NY, so apparently a pretty standard 4-hr ride.

Just booked two round trip tix to NY from DC in mid June for $40.50. Gas and tolls for my civic would cost that much.

https://www.boltbus.com/default.aspx

there's a new bus system starting in MAY that shuttles ninjas from NYC to PHILA starting at $1 each way

the name escapes me atm, something like microbus, manbus, minibus, massagebus, something with an "M" and bus. read about it in the something.

for this weekend i booked Greyhound (roundtrip) for $24

if you go to the eticket or efares or edeals whatever it is on the greyhound site you can get from phila to nyc roundtrip for $22. my girlfriend usually does that. I've been using new century but i guess i'll switch to greyhound, i hate apex