Who's dad was the biggest asshole?

Guest Airjamie

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well...it is originally about much of an asshole your dad is. and many people discuss how their father was a prick and either left or treated em like shit, or how they just butted heads/didnt get along with him, and then go on to revere their mother as a savior who took care of everything....which might not be completely oedipal but it definitely has some elements.

My dad is a pretty good guy all things considered, he had a dick of a dad, dropped out of highschool but eventually went to York U, Seneca and UofT, so there you go. He's had about 150 different careers, he's done alot of cool stuff but at the same time he really hasn't done anything significant at all.

He's sucks the father/son relationship, but so do I so there you go. I hope when I have kids I can be better at that although I doubt that I will, I at least hope I can have the money to give my kids everything they want.

Lately I've been getting into photography, which is something he knows a lot about and can help me out in all kinds of ways with that.

I regret that he never pushed me to do shit, he never played sports really, and never pushed me to play sports although I did a bit when I was younger.

He's no asshole but I guess he's made me into an interesting enough person ...

The whole "dad is an asshole" thing isn't oedipus-ish...OK...:rolleyes:

don't know what community kawlij you went to that gave you a freebie A, but oedipus complex has nothing to do with dads being assholes. it means you view your dad as a competitor because you want to have sex with your mom and don't want to share her love. cureone tried to explain it but it went over your head apparently.

My Dad's an interesting person accomplished a lot more in life when he was my age than I have at the time being, that being said, it kinda pisses me off because hes such an asshole. Fucking big shoes to fill, its a huge burden sometimes, but I realized I have to blaze my own trail instead of walking on one thats been taken you know, RobertFrost shizz.

Probably the person i looked up to the most because of how he wound up where he was, couldnt ask for a better provider for the family. Dont really have a regular father/son deal going on as we are so different in many ways, so the only conversations i really have with him are about business other than that we huge fights and a lot of ignoring because i always get the feeling that im never really good enough especially when he puts me down in public, that usually erupts into a small altercation.

Wished he pushed me more in school and sports even though I did alright for myself.

In hindsight I realize my dad is just a regular person with a lot problems and is trying his best to get through life. Even though were not close anymore I have reconciled with him ever since I read this short letter by Steve Martin "The Death of My Father", made me realize that people can slip away at any moment in time, so i just try to remember the good times when I was younger and overlook the things that make me dislike him.

I regret that he never pushed me to do shit, he never played sports really, and never pushed me to play sports although I did a bit when I was younger.

ditto. my dad always lightly encouraged me to do well in school and shit like that but he never really went full force about it. but what's cool is that if i have to buy something for school he'll drop money for it no questions asked. new computer every 3-4 years. but he and i would get into hella fights when i was younger cause i was a tough kid like 13-14 because of whatever reasons. it was like a contest to see who could yell louder.

don't know what community kawlij you went to that gave you a freebie A, but oedipus complex has nothing to do with dads being assholes. it means you view your dad as a competitor because you want to have sex with your mom and don't want to share her love. cureone tried to explain it but it went over your head apparently.

that's the most literal by-the-numbers example but any time you imply something like "my dad was a pure fuckup, I hate him and I never wanna be like him. i loved my mommy though" that's somewhat oedipal....

My dad is real cool, but my mom's dad sounds insane from the stories I have heard. He was super strict about everything. For example, he wouldn't let anyone watch TV when he wasn't home. He would check the back of the TV when he got home from work to see if it was hot. If it was hot, it meant someone was watching it and someone was going to get their ass beat.

Some of you may have been locked in your room when you were younger, but when he was mad he handcuffed them to their beds. On one occasion, he put my aunt in a burlap bag, and then hanged her in the oven.:eek: Its one thing to discipline your kids, but to hang them in the fucking oven? He died before I was born, but it really makes me appreciate my dad 100x more.

My dad is awesome. When I was in trouble as a kid, I used to be scared shitless of him, but I think most people go thru that as a child. Now that I'm older, I appreciate him so much because of how hard he works for his family. He has been there to support throughout me everything in my life and has more of my respect than anyone in this world.

For a snob, you are not very bright.

How many men would admit that they view their dad's as a competitor and actually want to sex their mother's?

If you are waiting for that to happen, then you will see little examples of the oedipus complex. But as a genius like you should know, Freud also talked about the unconcious. Which houses feelings that we secreatly feel, but are to painful to know/admit to ourselfs. Therefore, the oedipus complex is implied in circumstances were a man negatively views his father and positivily views his mother because that realization is too painful for anybody to realize on their own. This is were the oedipus triangle comes in.

If you ever read a freudian analysis of ANYTHING, from shakespear to cinderella, you will see the presence of the oedipus complex in situations MUCH, MUCH, MUCH less obvious than this thread.

In fact, this thread is too freudian really.

For example

the guy who says that he dislikes his father but he might end up like him...

Freud stated that boys in the oedipus triangle will try to solve their little problem by attempting to win their mother's love by being more like their father/competitor, the man SHE loves.

Can it get anymore obvious?

pwned.

my dad is a pretty laid-back, soft-spoken guy. he hitchhiked across america and backpacked across europe when he was my age... dropped acid and all that jazz back in the 60's and early 70's. met my mom after hopping a ride with a huge container ship to teach english in japan

all in all, he's a cool dude. never really yells or had to discipline other than the usual stuff. taught my brother and I how to fish, ski, ride bikes, kayak, canoe, and took us hiking and traveling across the globe as we were growing up. I wish I could say he did just as good of a job teaching us about "life skills" but alas... these are things I've had to learn almost entirely on my own

For a snob, you are not very bright.

How many men would admit that they view their dad's as a competitor and actually want to sex their mother's?

If you are waiting for that to happen, then you will see little examples of the oedipus complex. But as a genius like you should know, Freud also talked about the unconcious. Which houses feelings that we secreatly feel, but are to painful to know/admit to ourselfs. Therefore, the oedipus complex is implied in circumstances were a man negatively views his father and positivily views his mother because that realization is too painful for anybody to realize on their own. This is were the oedipus triangle comes in.

If you ever read a freudian analysis of ANYTHING, from shakespear to cinderella, you will see the presence of the oedipus complex in situations MUCH, MUCH, MUCH less obvious than this thread.

In fact, this thread is too freudian really.

For example

the guy who says that he dislikes his father but he might end up like him...

Freud stated that boys in the oedipus triangle will try to solve their little problem by attempting to win their mother's love by being more like their father/competitor, the man SHE loves.

Can it get anymore obvious?

pwned.

wow. that was a nice little high school essay. A for effort, F for grammar (please tell me english isn't your native language). correct the errors noted above and return to me by next monday for regrading.

you know, at first, i was just making fun of you because i thought you were trying to make a joke about oedipus complex, but didn't even know how to spell 'oedipus'.

now i realize the truth is even funnier. you actually believe that the oedipus complex is a valid concept.

so let me get this straight....you think that everyone here actually does want to have sex with their mothers, but can't face that fact because it's too shocking, so they repress it subconsciously. so that's why there's actually no evidence of this desire, except a little bit that trickles out that manifests as an opinion that their dads are assholes. as opposed to the theory that they think their dads are assholes just because their dads beat them, or desert them, or ignore them, or lock them in the basement. that's what you're trying to tell me??

by spouting all of this freudian psychoanalysis nonsense here with a straight face, i guess you missed out on the widespread realization that freud is probably the most discredited and pseudoscientific hack of the 20th century.

no time to go into all of the myriad criticisms of freud here, but you yourself nicely illustrated one of the biggest flaws of psychoanalysis, which is it can't be tested scientifically. "no obvious signs of oedipus complex? no problem! it just means they are repressing it, and therefore, i conclude they actually have it." what a load of horse shit. that's called unprovability, and that's why it's nonscientific.

don't believe everything you read in the 'boy's first book of psychology' ok? with your level of skepticism and critical thinking, i bet you're also a scientologist.

wow. that was a nice little high school essay. A for effort, F for grammar (please tell me english isn't your native language). correct the errors noted above and return to me by next monday for regrading.

you know, at first, i was just making fun of you because i thought you were trying to make a joke about oedipus complex, but didn't even know how to spell 'oedipus'.

now i realize the truth is even funnier. you actually believe that the oedipus complex is a valid concept.

so let me get this straight....you think that everyone here actually does want to have sex with their mothers, but can't face that fact because it's too shocking, so they repress it subconsciously. so that's why there's actually no evidence of this desire, except a little bit that trickles out that manifests as an opinion that their dads are assholes. as opposed to the theory that they think their dads are assholes just because their dads beat them, or desert them, or ignore them, or lock them in the basement. that's what you're trying to tell me??

by spouting all of this freudian psychoanalysis nonsense here with a straight face, i guess you missed out on the widespread realization that freud is probably the most discredited and pseudoscientific hack of the 20th century.

no time to go into all of the myriad criticisms of freud here, but you yourself nicely illustrated one of the biggest flaws of psychoanalysis, which is it can't be tested scientifically. "no obvious signs of oedipus complex? no problem! it just means they are repressing it, and therefore, i conclude they actually have it." what a load of horse shit. that's called unprovability, and that's why it's nonscientific.

don't believe everything you read in the 'boy's first book of psychology' ok? with your level of skepticism and critical thinking, i bet you're also a scientologist.

LMAO...you just did what everybody without an argument does...

1. attack the grammer and spelling

2. Change the whole argument to avoid looking stupid.

The point was whether this thread was "oedipus-ish" or not. It obviously is. So now you want to discuss the merits of the theory to avoid discussing the actual issue at hand.

Just admit you were wrong.

Experts much smarter than you agree with freud's theories, so dismissing them so easily and saying "widespread realization that freud is probably the most discredited and pseudoscientific hack of the 20th century" is not only false, but it is a fallacy.

It's funny how somebody who attacks somebody else's critical thinking skills would ironically display faulty thinking in the same post.

You see, even if it is true that nobody believes him (which is not), saying what essentially amounts to " nobody believes him, so his theories are false" is fallacious because popular opinion does not dictate the truth. Just because people thought the world was flat does not mean it was.

For somebody who pretends to be academically gifted you again show your ignorance. For one it's not the SUBconcious, it's the UNconcious. Look it up.

And more importantly

1. Whether I believe it or not is irrelevant because we are talking about the application of the theory not it's validity.

2. The Oedipus complex applies in situations less obvious than this thread. Situations were the dad is not an actual asshole and the child's opinion that the dad is an asshole has nothing to do with the fathers actions or behavior. So your argument is bullshit.

trust me everybody, this thread is somewhat oedipal. it was oedipal from the subject line alone.

using that term doesn't mean you woulda fucked yor mom, even if your mom was brooke burke and grabbed your nuts in the shower. its just a definition which is used to help describe certain feelings. like the feelings expressed in this thread.

You can refuse to call it oedipal if you want. You can use a more complicated description like "the tendency to hate your dad while inexplicably imitating him, but being cool with your mom" but fuck, it's just easier to say "oedipal" isnt it????:confused:

my dad is pretty much a regular asian dad. never really talks to me. just yells, loudly. used to hit me when i was little. calls me stupid a lot when i was still in grade school. this actually happend twice, i won an award for school and he yelled at me because i didnt win more. he never says i love you, so i grew up independent while my big sis needed that and was never given "love," so she cuts herself and is really emo about everything. My dad...is an ASSHOLE. the ironic thing is that i can see myself growing up to be like him in certain ways.

...Damn. Thats me minus the sister. But, because of the shit my dad put me and my family through, I would never EVER cheat on a girl.

...Damn. Thats me minus the sister. But, because of the shit my dad put me and my family through, I would never EVER cheat on a girl.

hahahaha that's what YOU think

If I could bet $10000000000000000 that you cheat on a girl later in life, I would...