Fast natural fade without the use of sandpaper...

Noddy

look at that ringxring has common sense...bring da thomas payne...

anyway i think dude did a good job nuthin wrong with denim as long as it looks good and these do.

Superfuture is indeed a rich seam of knowledge! I never expected Thomas Paine (I hope it's Paine that you refer to) to be brought up in this topic. Thanks for that.

So in the spirit Thomas Paine's wonderful statement, "my own mind is my own church".

Denim is a broad church :)

Superfuture is indeed a rich seam of knowledge! I never expected Thomas Paine (I hope it's Paine that you refer to) to be brought up in this topic. Thanks for that.

So in the spirit Thomas Paine's wonderful statement, "my own mind is my own church".

Denim is a broad church :)

thomas...paine???

who dat??? yo im tkin bout thomas payne who work @ da deli dude iz smarT!

you are an ocean of knowledge, to be sure, dr.double-ring. personally, ive never went without washing until my jeans stink. i use the same method gordon describes in the BIG website, the only exception is that i use dr.bronners instead of some commercial detergent, only because i refuse to use sodium laureth sulfate on my skin or denim. i dont go more than 3 weeks between washes, and every other wash i just use plain hot water. im far from a denim hydro-phobe. i hate earnest sewn, but i do believe in wabi-sabi. still, i'll never agree that their "just-jeans", and if any of us truly agreed,we wouldnt spend so much hard earned cash per pair. sufu would be the wal-mart jeans fan club...i was so harsh in my criticism of your statement, because you are the master splinter of sufu, and if you say its ok, that blows the door open to people doing all manner of bullshit. prefab washes dont interest me at all, and i still think its retarded and simply a byproduct of our microwave,instant gratified society. real denim is one of the few truly authentic things we have left. everybody wants the "vintage-look" but no one wants to wait and watch as things progress. if i pour bleach on dyed cloth it will turn white.this is common knowledge if i abrade cotton with something harder than it, whatever is on the top will come off. any noob knows that from scraping their knee on the pavement. if i drag my jeans on the ground behind a car, they will get fucked up. no curiosity involved here. thanks for the response, good doctor. youre a class act.

PS: to all the cats who tried to kill my rep due to my statements, stop frontin' most of you have on stinky denim as i type. especially you commando in the summer types-swalla back

shut the fuck up salaami, this isn't a fucking 'who has a higher vocabulary, and thus higher education, ergo smarter and inferably an "i haveno friends" ' competition.

if you want to get your point across, at least be fucking coherent.

i put your shit into google translater from italian to english and all i got was:

'ovar 100 yrs ago, i had buttsechx with a 13 yr old boy"

actually, i didn't know what ergo meant until i just looked it up...thanks for expanding my vocabulary. my arabic vocab and grammar are better than my english. ergo you sound dumb, since one can be intelligent and be totally uneducated, or one can manage to get a degree, but still be a putz. i live with musicians and tattoo artists, and im constantly surrounded by artists, models, dancers, artsy/eclectic types, and just cool mf's in general. none of them are denimheads, and they all probably think im neurotic, which i probably am, by self-admission. who else rides 600 miles in a blizzard to BIG? game recognizes game, and lame...you sound like a pedo-priest.

actually, i didn't know what ergo meant until i just looked it up...thanks for expanding my vocabulary. my arabic vocab and grammar are better than my english. ergo you sound dumb, since one can be intelligent and be totally uneducated, or one can manage to get a degree, but still be a putz. i live with musicians and tattoo artists, and im constantly surrounded by artists, models, dancers, artsy/eclectic types, and just cool mf's in general. none of them are denimheads, and they all probably think im neurotic, which i probably am, by self-admission. who else rides 600 miles in a blizzard to BIG? game recognizes game, and lame...you sound like a pedo-priest.

is it just me, or does he just ramble on about shit that doesn't have anything to do with anything that anyone says?

you are an ocean of knowledge, to be sure, dr.double-ring. personally, ive never went without washing until my jeans stink. i use the same method gordon describes in the BIG website, the only exception is that i use dr.bronners instead of some commercial detergent, only because i refuse to use sodium laureth sulfate on my skin or denim. i dont go more than 3 weeks between washes, and every other wash i just use plain hot water. im far from a denim hydro-phobe. i hate earnest sewn, but i do believe in wabi-sabi. still, i'll never agree that their "just-jeans", and if any of us truly agreed,we wouldnt spend so much hard earned cash per pair. sufu would be the wal-mart jeans fan club...i was so harsh in my criticism of your statement, because you are the master splinter of sufu, and if you say its ok, that blows the door open to people doing all manner of bullshit. prefab washes dont interest me at all, and i still think its retarded and simply a byproduct of our microwave,instant gratified society. real denim is one of the few truly authentic things we have left. everybody wants the "vintage-look" but no one wants to wait and watch as things progress. if i pour bleach on dyed cloth it will turn white.this is common knowledge if i abrade cotton with something harder than it, whatever is on the top will come off. any noob knows that from scraping their knee on the pavement. if i drag my jeans on the ground behind a car, they will get fucked up. no curiosity involved here. thanks for the response, good doctor. youre a class act.

PS: to all the cats who tried to kill my rep due to my statements, stop frontin' most of you have on stinky denim as i type. especially you commando in the summer types-swalla back

They're just jeans, and I'm sure most people will agree with me on that, regardless of the fact that some of us are more interested in aspects of them that may often go unnoticed in general.

Secondly, I don't understand your furious distrust of "pre-washed" jeans, however. Whose to say that the amount of work that goes into creating these washes couldn't rival the amount that goes into choosing select details on the "raw" versions? Dior Homme has some absolutely incredible washes that are purportedly hand-abraded, which is surely as much attention / detail / quality as one could expect and might look more interesting to someone than what they could expect from their own time-investment to get that "vintage look," which is a constrictive parameter in the first place. What about washes that essentially could not exist as a result of normal wear on a "pure" pair of jeans (i.e. unusual coloring / dying, whatever)? Are they automatically "retarded?"

For hanging around with "artsy" types, you sure aren't particularly open minded...

Fuck. When threads like this become this sort of discussion, it makes raw denim feel awefully hypebeasty.

Do whatever you want with your jeans, so long as you wear them as much as you talk about them.

i'm embarassed to live in the same state as you...where the fuk u live in 804???

actually, someone mentioned that i was trying, to out-vocab them, so i responded. the same person also(incorrectly) made an uninformed comment about my assumed lack of "friends" or inadequate socialization. by the way, a lot of "open-minded" people are quite opinionated, depending on the topic of discussion. church hill is the locale. so westside, you can catch me(if you can) in the eastside. and yes in my opinion, all washes are lame. its funny how some of us start stupid threads, post incorrect"facts" and ask stupid noob questions with absolute impunity, yet i debate a debateable topic, and fags wanna gang rape me. spare me, and circle jerk amongst yourselves. just make sure skeet on your true religions will make a nice"natural" fade...

actually, someone mentioned that i was trying, to out-vocab them, so i responded. the same person also(incorrectly) made an uninformed comment about my assumed lack of "friends" or inadequate socialization. by the way, a lot of "open-minded" people are quite opinionated, depending on the topic of discussion. church hill is the locale. so westside, you can catch me(if you can) in the eastside. and yes, all(all washes are retarded, imho(the h stands for honest)

All washes are not retarded, only people who make general statements using "all" in them are. I could show you pics of Raw worn denim and washed denim (done well) and I doubt you could tell the difference unless you already knew the model to begin with. You could, arguably, find more people who think wearing Raw jeans until dirty and stinky to achieve a 'vintage look' (that is not a true vintage look to begin with) is more retarded then buying washed denim. Doesn't make them right to be in the majority nor does it make you right to be in the minority.

actually, someone mentioned that i was trying, to out-vocab them, so i responded. the same person also(incorrectly) made an uninformed comment about my assumed lack of "friends" or inadequate socialization. by the way, a lot of "open-minded" people are quite opinionated, depending on the topic of discussion. church hill is the locale. so westside, you can catch me(if you can) in the eastside. and yes, all(all washes are retarded, imho(the h stands for honest)
hahahha i've been in that area quite a few times...i once spent a month in vcu dorms near monroe park...i kinna miss those crackheads.

i'm still embarassed of you though...srsly y r u so adamant? why do all washes suck? do you not wash your jeans, ever? am i wasting my time??

All washes are not retarded, only people who make general statements using "all" in them are. I could show you pics of Raw worn denim and washed denim (done well) and I doubt you could tell the difference unless you already knew the model to begin with. You could, arguably, find more people who think wearing Raw jeans until dirty and stinky to achieve a 'vintage look' (that is not a true vintage look to begin with) is more retarded then buying washed denim. Doesn't make them right to be in the majority nor does it make you right to be in the minority.

read my whole post before responding...i have never said anything cosigning wearing jeans until filthy, or stinky. plus, how can you offer an opinion about what you "think" i can discern the difference between? nor did i make any statement about the majority or minority being correct by default in any matter. i think stinky denim and pre-washed are both innappropriate. i just explained how i wash my jeans, then westside asks me if i ever wash them. fyi, vcu(and monroe park) are closer to the west end. churchill is in the east.

damn, just when i was going to tell westside to holla, someone actually was being entertained by our angst. any denim head is essentially an ally of mine, since our opinions are ultimately based on our denim fetish. plus, va cats gotta stick together. i can sit in a room across from some one who's also online, we can be ripping each other to shreads on the same thread, but since hes sufu ill still pass the dutch, even pour him a shot of yak, and get right back to arguing. thats just me.

read my whole post before responding...i have never said anything cosigning wearing jeans until filthy, or stinky. plus, how can you offer an opinion about what you "think" i can discern the difference between? nor did i make any statement about the majority or minority being correct by default in any matter. i think stinky denim and pre-washed are both innappropriate. i just explained how i wash my jeans, then westside asks me if i ever wash them. fyi, vcu(and monroe park) are closer to the west end. churchill is in the east.

I read the whole post.. perhaps you should read mine? Did I say you wear stinky jeans?? Once in 3 weeks is still far far far longer than the average consumer would go. You said and again here that all washed jeans are inappropraite, I say I doubt you could tell the difference when done right. Are you saying that how they look doesn't matter but rather how they got to look that way is more important?? Nevermind... somebody else areadly mentioned regretting posting in this thread and now I see why. You simply say that something is wrong or inappropriate but have no valid reasoning behind it. Most people would say, 'I don't like "such and such"' or 'not a style I care for' instead.

As for my opinion of what you can discern? Well it is more about what most anyone could not discern, i.e. to tell the difference between real wear and pre-washed wear when done well (at a glance or via a picture in any case).

B y e

damn, just when i was going to tell westside to holla, someone actually was being entertained by our angst. any denim head is essentially an ally of mine, since our opinions are ultimately based on our denim fetish. plus, va cats gotta stick together. i can sit in a room across from some one who's also online, we can be ripping each other to shreads on the same thread, but since hes sufu ill still pass the dutch, even pour him a shot of yak, and get right back to arguing. thats just me.

Thanks for bumping up my thread time after time, might consider to make you an ambassador of this thread.... but no promise ok? i will try my best...

thank god this has ringring posts, otherwise this thread wouldbe the worst ever.

and ringring, i have a feeling you feel the same way about this stuff as me... you are always a student. not a scholar, not a purist,, just a nerd who loves the little details and quirks in these damn work pants.

Salaami, I'm sorry that my use of the stink analogy came across more derogatory than it was supposed to. I meant it, tongue-in-cheek, just as a way to say infrequent washing. I too have many jeans that have been washed very little. And I share with you an aversion to sodium lauryl sulfate.

I'm far from against that method of wearing jeans (although I firmly believe that hygiene should come before whiskers!), it's just that I have absolutely no problem if people tread a different path with their denim.

I would imagine that BiG are also interested in washed denim, as they sell it alongside their drys.

Regarding my comment that they are just jeans, it's the blue-collar, workwear origins of jeans I am referring to. Jeans are designed to be worn and washed, without too much thought - wouldn't that be wabi-sabi? Anything else is as forced as rubbing with a damp cloth.

It took me time to realise they are just jeans. I'm perfectly happy that not everyone feels this way.

Sure, it would be natural to treat a pair of 45rpms differently to some cheap GAP jeans, and the thought of taking sandpaper to some Warehouse XX's makes me wince a little. But, it doesn't matter really.

ringring, i didn't take the "dirty jeans"comment as a dis...MJ made an anti-islamic state ment about bombing mecca, so i dont buy jordan or nike(the parent company).i never made a statement about BIG not carrying pre-washes(noriko gave me a pair o stiches to put on while yuji hemmed my sams, believe it or not. i couldn't wait to take them off). i only wash when necessary, i dont force anything either way. its funny how when HJJ accused(falsely)beatle of embellishment, everyone jumped down his throat, and some of the same cats now are defending the "right to sand and abrade". the difference between my offering an opinion and someone else is that im not afraid to dissagree with someone due to their repute, and i dont tuck my tail as soon as the flack comes. i say"theyre just jeans, but from the perspective of dont baby them just cause theyre 300 beans.wear em hard,and wash when you need to, not bleach them,and do all kinds of crazy shit. im just more stern,and sith-like in my responses. and yes, how you get your fade is most important. cheep, im glad you decided to comment, and your contest sams are sick( especially the new back pocket repair, now thats gangsta!) but if you got that fade by sliding behind a car on your ass for a block, you wouldnt be shit to me. your denim is dope because your LIFE shaped them, not some earnest-sewn like wash treatment. keep doing it, my dude. note my friend how on the new SDA thread every one loves to rip edmond, but after i categorically exposed why most people rip him as soon as he opens his mouth, regardless of the information, the about-faced semi apologies started rolling in. my sister and i were cracking up, cause when i posted that last night, i told her people would jump on the apology bandwagon once i pulled a few cats cards...but thats what i do.

thank god this has ringring posts, otherwise this thread wouldbe the worst ever.

and ringring, i have a feeling you feel the same way about this stuff as me... you are always a student. not a scholar, not a purist,, just a nerd who loves the little details and quirks in these damn work pants.

Yes, it looks like we share the same viewpoint :)

I think we would agree that it would be a shame if this particular corner of the internet became blinkered in a 'purist' strain of selvedge solipsism.

Salaami - my comment about BiG carrying washed jeans was only to illustrate that even the foremost purveyors of dry denim on the East Coast have not limited themselves to only one way of wearing denim. Also note that most (all?) companies that make dry denim also produce washed jeans. Are they less purist?

Yes, it looks like we share the same viewpoint :)

I think we would agree that it would be a shame if this particular corner of the internet became blinkered in a 'purist' strain of selvedge solipsism.

Salaami - my comment about BiG carrying washed jeans was only to illustrate that even the foremost purveyors of dry denim on the East Coast have not limited themselves to only one way of wearing denim. Also note that most (all?) companies that make dry denim also produce washed jeans. Are they less purist?

i love dry jeans.. yet i loved washed jeans

if BiG carried some washed japanese levis that came out years ago that would be nice.. the washed japanese levis now suck

every now and then I wear my washed levis from taiwan.. reminds me of the old country :)

;)true. i agree that variety is the spice of life on this ball of congealed dust...ringsquared, i love you because you always teach me something (solopsism). i love learning abstrusive new words. now i have to use it 3 times in proper context to make it mine. if everyone here on sufu ascribed to my opinion, this forum would be BORING. i admit, when it comes to denim, im not an asshole, im a whole ass! if i had a clone we would have killed each other a long time ago. despite the backlash, this is the most interesting/stimulating thread ive participated maybe ever. its curious how im pretty sure there are plenty of sufuers who feel me, but they wont raise their fingers to concur for 'socio/political' reasons. ill stand alone, right or wrong. youve got cats shook, but you arent an intimidating personality. you couldve taken the moral low road, yet you chose to show character. youve got a hell of a goon squad, though. respect....;) their hate fuels my fire!!! its worth the backlash just to keep you posting, so i can continue to glean gems from you. you havent spoken this much in a while.

although arguing with salaami is like speaking into a voice-operated shit generator, the amount of unwarranted self-inflation and hypocrisy he's shown is hard to pass by unremarked.

salaami seems to have a hard time understanding that the way he wears jeans is no more 'natural' than abrading with a wet towel (as many have already stated above). newsflash: they are both unnatural methods.

if what you do with jeans is so 'natural,' salaami, ask yourself what other article of clothing (not including outerwear) you wear for 3 weeks consecutively, or longer, without washing. aha.......didn't think so. ask other people if it's natural to go swimming in jeans. salaami just conveniently defines his own actions as 'natural' simply because it's his method and he's been doing it a long time, and because others on this board also do it. then, arbitrarily, he labels his method as 'purist' and hypocritically criticizes anything that's different (but equally unnatural).

i too wear jeans for a prolonged time without washing. but i recognize that it is a strategem (and probably the best one) to try to produce the nicest fades possible, and is also quite unnatural behavior. to think otherwise is pure self-delusion. i too have ragged on sanded jeans here, only because the results i have seen usually look bad. thus, i am judging the end product, not the method per se. if someone showed me jeans that look as good as the holy grail eternals and said they were sandpapered, my reaction would be, dayyummmm, show me how, mang!!

in fact, i could just as easily and arbitrarily proclaim that any premeditated action to produce a nice fade is artificial, including trying to fade them strictly in a 'purist' manner, and the only authentic fading comes when you don't even realize that you are fading them. which means that salaami, you're wack.