Suggest jeans for cyclist?

zelmo

Hi everyone,

I ride my bike everywhere, which means that my jeans wear out in the crotch really fast; I'm lucky to get 6 months out of a pair.

Biking everywhere also means that my thighs are muscular and disproportionately large with respect to the rest of me.

What I really want are jeans that are cut big in the thigh, tapered to relatively small (not baggy) in the lower leg, reasonably durable, look good from the start (because if they wear out in 6 months there's not much time to break them in), and don't cost an arm and a leg (because I have to replace them every 6 months).

Suggestions for jeans that meet even a few of my criteria are welcome. I live in New York, so I can easily go try on most brands.

Thanks!

p.s. If it matters, I am a man, and I typically wear around a 36-32.

-Dry jeans are the ones that will be most resistant and durable.

-Double ring-spun denim has more durability.

-In teory, the tighter the jeans the faster it will wear out the crotch area.

-You would want a relatively heavy weight denim because it lasts longer.

Nudie Regular Ralph Dry Selvage, for around U$250, has a 13.5oz weight, might be a good choice if you don't mind the price. Besides the fact they are selvage might increase the cost, I think they are much more resistant than the other non-selvage Dry Nudies.

APC, for about U$120, is definately a good choice if you consider the durability vs. cost. I'm not sure but the weight must be around 12.5oz. The crotch will last a long time, and the fabric is thin and compact. Probably their Rescue cut.

I don't know much but these 2 brands, you could consider the possibility that non-selvage pre-washed jeans might last longer for the price.

Thanks for the suggestions... because I sweat while riding, I'm looking for something prewashed that I can wash regularly. Dry jeans are great for a lot of things (and I have an APC English which fits well), but not what I'm looking for for bike riding in the summer.

unless you're a die-hard selvage fan, why don't you try those with reinforced backseat (where they sew extra denim panelling around the butt area)? i believe prps has one, it's one wash, but not a traditional jeans cut per se. they look more like a pair of workpants. you can go bloomingdale to have a look, i picked them up the last time for just $130ish after tax