Designer/Labels You Dislike

Kodak

This thread is specifically dedicated to designer/ labels you dislike and or don't know why they are hyped up.

1.) Rick Owens- With a grunge aestetic and carnival freak mentality, what isn't there to love. I'm mean, you can walk outside wearing a leather jacket that looks like it diaper sewn in the seat along with a pair of $1200 dollar leather hightops. Lets be honest people, other than a few great leather items, what more is there from Rick Owens? He consistenly, in my eyes, puts out the same shit every season. It was sort of fun in the beginning to watch, but now it is pretty stale to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate his collections, I just sort of dislike them.

2.) Carol Christian Poell- Don't have any real problem, except for the outrageously dumb boots he makes (ie. paper). Who in their right mind wants to pay $10000 for a leather jacket and $3200 for a suit.

3.) Karl Lagerfeld- Sure he lasting power at Chanel and Fendi but there needs to be a changing of the guard. I'm tire of the derivative "rock star" aestetic Chanel is known for. Just like Hedi Slimane left Dior Homme, Karl Lsgerfeld should leave.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm, the thing jumped into my mind when i saw this thread is mastermind japan. dont understand why ppl go crazy for it. 1000 for a pair of so called "limited edition" jeans? you can get a pair of poell's twisted jeans for that money~ sometimes even 1000 for a Tshirt?With those ridiculous skull logos,mmj makes ppl look somehow funny (to me). I am really curious about what they are thinkin' about.

hmm, the thing jumped into my mind when i saw this thread is mastermind japan. dont understand why ppl go crazy for it. 1000 for a pair of so called "limited edition" jeans? you can get a pair of poell's twisted jeans for that money~ sometimes even 1000 for a Tshirt?With those ridiculous skull logos,mmj makes ppl look somehow funny (to me). I am really curious about what they are thinkin' about.

i hate mastermind

galliano is ok with me.

1.) Rick Owens- With a grunge aestetic and carnival freak mentality, what isn't there to love. I'm mean, you can walk outside wearing a leather jacket that looks like it diaper sewn in the seat along with a pair of $1200 dollar leather hightops. Lets be honest people, other than a few great leather items, what more is there from Rick Owens? He consistenly, in my eyes, puts out the same shit every season. It was sort of fun in the beginning to watch, but now it is pretty stale to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate his collections, I just sort of dislike them.

Kodak, I do not (nor will I ever) profess to know anything about fashion, but I think to name RO as your #1 designer/labels you dislike is slightly off-base and unwarranted. And I have a feeling that goldengloves, among others on this board, would tend to agree with me.

Sure the guy is a freak. Sure he makes movies with himself with dismembered females. Sure he sews cute little images of himself (inside of his drkshdw jeans), but the guy (in my mind) is a trailblazer, a rebel/anti-establishment whatever, and a true master of "a few great leather items" -- which to my knowledge is the one of the most difficult materials to work with.

You say that he puts the same shit out every season (which isn't entirely true). But who else is doing what he is doing? He's so far ahead of the fucking curve that its going to take a couple of seasons for other designers to catch on. High heeled boots for guys? Nobody's doing that shit. That shits so hot, Chris is going to be rockin' them within weeks. Have you seen the f/w 08 steez? shit it cutting edge. I'd pay 1200 for his black/white high top trainers and not even bat an eye cuz they are sooo illl.

Not trying to start anything, just saying, I don't really understand where the RO hate comes from. correct me if im wrong. I'll just end it by leaving this:

ro02.jpg

Kodak, I do not (nor will I ever) profess to know anything about fashion, but I think to name RO as your #1 designer/labels you dislike is slightly off-base and unwarranted. And I have a feeling that goldengloves, among others on this board, would tend to agree with me.

Sure the guy is a freak. Sure he makes movies with himself with dismembered females. Sure he sews cute little images of himself (inside of his drkshdw jeans), but the guy (in my mind) is a trailblazer, a rebel/anti-establishment whatever, and a true master of "a few great leather items" -- which to my knowledge is the one of the most difficult materials to work with.

You say that he puts the same shit out every season (which isn't entirely true). But who else is doing what he is doing? He's so far ahead of the fucking curve that its going to take a couple of seasons for other designers to catch on. High heeled boots for guys? Nobody's doing that shit. That shits so hot, Chris is going to be rockin' them within weeks. Have you seen the f/w 08 steez? shit it cutting edge. I'd pay 1200 for his black/white high top trainers and not even bat an eye cuz they are sooo illl.

Not trying to start anything, just saying, I don't really understand where the RO hate comes from. correct me if im wrong. I'll just end it by leaving this:

I think your point is entirely valid, what I wrote previously is entirely my own opinion. In fact who am I to judge anything. What I will say is he hasn't shown me a full range to completely call him a genius or whatever. I'm not going to lie and say that I haven't lusted over a few of his jackets because I have. I may even purchase some pieces from him. This still doesn't mean I think his designs are the most amzing things in the world, because they aren't. Sure he can do some daring cut on jackets and coats, but what else is there? I happen to like designers with a dark, rebellious edge(ie Gareth Pugh, Alexander McQueen, Ricardo Tisci etc) but that doesn't mean I am going to like every designer that fits into this category.

By the way, Yves St. Laurent, Dior Homme and Roberto Cavalli before Mr. Owens:)

Yeah, like I said, I wasn't trying to start anything, just feebly attempting to give it some perspective. There is so little thats going on in fashion that actually does anything for me, so to knock off one of the designers that actually does do it for me, well, I just needed to come to his defense.

Sure he can do some daring cut on jackets and coats, but what else is there?

Check out his f/w 08 stuff, I think you might have a change of heart? I don't know if it was posted here or not, but shouldnt be too difficult to find.

I happen to like designers with a dark, rebellious edge(ie Gareth Pugh, Alexandr McQueen, Ricardo Tisci etc) but that doesn't mean I am going to like every designer that fits into this category.

co-sign on this sentiment.

"all looks the same" is the constant refrain of those on the outside looking in.

He's just not a designer in my eyes...
Questions of merit aside, are you saying he's NOT a designer? If so then what would you call him? How would you describe what he does?

"all looks the same" is the constant refrain of those on the outside looking in.

Questions of merit aside, are you saying he's NOT a designer? If so then what would you call him? How would you describe what he does?

Tell me, how is it different?

What does he design? Drapey shirts and tight pants? I forgot, leather jackets too, about a hundred of them that look the same. You may refer to your SZ cliff notes if you wish.

Tell me, how is it different?

My point is that unless you're atuned to the work of a particular designer, his/her output can tend to look monolithic.

The argument that a designer's production has no merit because it "all looks the same" to you is thoughtlessly dismissive. RO does shirts, pants, suits, jackets, leather, dresses, etc. etc. How is this production any less variegated than any other designer's output?

You may refer to your SZ cliff notes if you wish.
This leads me to believe I shouldn't have entered into this discussion in the first place.

My point is that unless you're atuned to the work of a particular designer, his/her output is going to look monolithic.

How are you more attuned than the next person and what makes you more qualified than me I'm curious.

The argument that a designer's production has no merit because it "all looks the same" to you is thoughtlessly dismissive. RO does shirts, pants, suits, jackets, leather, dresses, etc. etc. How is this production any less variegated than any other designer's output?

My point is that he only has one theme, goth. He has no versatility that designers like MMM or Raf Simons have that I have seen thus far. There's no point in further arguing this as you're obviously a fan but I tend to step away from the monitor and look at things at face value. The fact will remains that I dislike him as a designer.

There's no point in further arguing this as you're obviously a fan but I tend to step away from the monitor and look at things at face value.

I don't consider myself an expert in RO's work, nor would I consider myself a fan. I don't own any RO items, I don't dress "goth", nor do I have any desire to.

I agree that this discussion will not prove fruitful for either of us, so let's just leave it at that.

when i walk into seven or go on their website, i am disgusted by half the brands they carry and amazed by the other half...sometimes, i am disgusted by the brands i am usually amazed by, and i am amazed by the brands i am usually disgusted by.

this means that someone is doing something right.

Hmmm

-Supreme, yeah the quality is good, I guess I don't like the hype. I mean.. cmon.

Just have to shed my opinion about Galliano...

I think he is a genius. Though those menswear stuff aren't really wearable, his shows are the ones I usually look out for and am actually looking forward to. His shows are really essentially a performance. Yeah, the clothes are over the top and all but they are to me - art. Remember that collection he did with the head gear and the ninja inspired one? Wow. Costume-y- yes. And the recent show is equally amazing. You could really see a story, not just a show merely organized to sell and market the design. Which btw I think is not galliano's motive anyway. but it's just beautiful in its own way.

I just love John Galliano's vision and his consistency of putting up a real show. And have you guys seen the Dior Couture show FW2007? I think even if you're not into women's wear (like me) but still is interested in fashion/design/art, when you see that show.. it's just amazing. Now that is galliano.

-Comme Des Garcons. Yes I said it! I dont know, Ive just never seen anything in their collections I'd want to wear.

-Paul Smith. Boring cuts, weird colours, overpriced.

-Dolce & Gabbana. Tacky.