Team DMZ

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean we like napping? My dad loves taking an afternoon nap. Me? Not so much.

it's more like: go watch a korean soccer match, get really drunk and rowdy, and then pass the fuck out. Koreans are expert at passing out.

westcyde Koreans are very particular about the manner in which drinks are poured. Typically, people do not pour their own drinks. Instead, someone at the table usually takes the reins, pours for the whole table (normally with two hands as a sign of deference), and then they will set the bottle or whatevs next to their glass, whereby someone else at the table will finish the round by pouring the original pourer his drink.

Soju is just a very typical alcohol that Koreans share during meals and such (not so much when you're out partying. Johnnie Walker is the prefered spirit for those occassions).

btw, have you seen these joints from 4all2envy? http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Patrick-Ewing-11-sneaker-adidas-knicks-dunk-air_W0QQitemZ300135146832QQihZ020QQcategoryZ63850QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Your size too.

LOL insomaniac's a tough cookie. I think she only converses with jmatsu. Otherwise she just posts comments.

i only talk to myself. it's never a let down.

it's more like: go watch a korean soccer match, get really drunk and rowdy, and then pass the fuck out. Koreans are expert at passing out.

westcyde Koreans are very particular about the manner in which drinks are poured. Typically, people do not pour their own drinks. Instead, someone at the table usually takes the reins, pours for the whole table (normally with two hands as a sign of deference), and then they will set the bottle or whatevs next to their glass, whereby someone else at the table will finish the round by pouring the original pourer his drink.

Soju is just a very typical alcohol that Koreans share during meals and such (not so much when you're out partying. Johnnie Walker is the prefered spirit for those occassions).

btw, have you seen these joints from 4all2envy? http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Patrick-Ewing-11-sneaker-adidas-knicks-dunk-air_W0QQitemZ300135146832QQihZ020QQcategoryZ63850QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Your size too.

gaaaah i wish i had 300 to spend...

does everyone follow those formalities? i mean young people especially.

gaaaah i wish i had 300 to spend...

does everyone follow those formalities? i mean young people especially.

Pretty much. Younginz in the states follow one of two paths: 1) completely disassociate from the K-culture and adopt either black or white culture or 2) embrace Korean culture like a freakin' religion. It usually is a trip to the motherland at an early age that pushes one towards the latter.

However, whichever path one takes, those that choose the former are still likely aware of such customs (i.e., myself or analog, I'm assuming), and would likely observe the custom when push came to shove. Or else they'd just look like a complete jackass. But then again, Annie is a bad mofo, so he might say fuck you to the man.

that's weird. one of my really good friends is korean, i guess he's a fob since he came when he was like 10(?) but he doesn't really fit into those categories, and he isn't a typical fob either.

Pretty much. Younginz in the states follow one of two paths: 1) completely disassociate from the K-culture and adopt either black or white culture or 2) embrace Korean culture like a freakin' religion.
Really? It's more moderate and laid back here.

wEstSidE -- I think you should just give in to your heart's filthy wishes and join us. It's clear to all of us that the boys club doesn't respect you.

Yeah its a completely different set of circumstances when you are a legitamafiable FOB. Typically, those that come from Korea are more balanced: they don't forget their culture, however, they are really eager to become Americanized. But in the end, they are still FOBs for life.

Really? It's more moderate and laid back here.

I'm speaking from experiencing Korean culture, namely in Philly, New York and LA. I do not know how big the pop. is in TO.

i'm definetly in the middle...i'm really into the korean culture(food, customs, music, everything) and i'm really comfortable in a korean environment, but on the flip side i embrace the "white" and "black" cultures...basically i eat korean food for every other meal and i have a white girlfriend...recently more and more koreans seem to be in the same category as me where they embrace multiple cultures.

the custom for drinking really only applies when there is a big age/status difference.

Guest jmatsu

i was starving, so i tried korean sushi today. it was pretty good. i only stuck to the semi-authentic korean shit though. i hate how koreans make shitty jap sushi and how japanese make shitty nonspicy kinda sweet kim chee/etc.

Interesting discussion.

I came to Canada roughly 2 months before my 4th birthday. I've never really had issues with questions of cultural identity. I've never consciously thought of it in terms of, "well there's the white culture, and the black culture, and the Korean culture... so which do I choose to embrace? where do I fit in?", or "am I Korean? Am I Canadian?" etc.

As an outsider (non-American) I've always had the feeling that these types of issues/questions are more pronounced/important in the U.S.

That's not to say that the types of Koreans you're talking about don't exist here. eg. I know this one guy who's always saying shit to me like, "If Canada and Korea go to war, which side would you fight for?".

But my parents were never hard-core "you've got to be Korean, remember your heritage..." etc., nor were they pushing me to become "one of them", assimilate, etc.

Guest jmatsu
J. you all set? Did you rehearse your lines in front of the mirror? Don't be nervous, man -- we'll be cheering you on in spirit!

:D

thanks my asian-nigga!

i'll try, but if my mind goes blank, i'll let washington do the talking.

Guest jmatsu
i'm really really surprised that you thought that korean jap sushi was any good. all my experiences have been thumbs fucking down. fuck that shit. stick to making your own peoples food!

nah, not the japanese sushi made by koreans. just the kim chee kinda pickled roots and vegetable shit rolled up.

i didn't know put that one asian dude in vhs vs. beta is korean.

off subject, but do you guys like giant robot mag? i don't.

I wouldnt have guessed that you like vhs or beta. I recently realized that they were from Kentucky. I thought that they were from Brooklyn.

I never really caught onto GR mag, nor do I enjoy loitering in their stores.

Guest jmatsu
I wouldnt have guessed that you like vhs or beta. I recently realized that they were from Kentucky. I thought that they were from Brooklyn.

I never really caught onto GR mag, nor do I enjoy loitering in their stores.

why wouldn't you have guessed? sleaz, what have you been listening too recently?

the guy was adopted, that's why he's so weird.

I enjoy a wide array of music, but honestly, 75% of the bands that are mentioned on sufu I have never even heard of. When I first moved to New York in 2000, I checked out that store Other Music and I don't think I recognized a single artist. Having said that, I've been to probably over 300 concerts in my life. I enjoy live music very much. Current bands I enjoy: Clap Your Hands, My Morning Jacket, Wilco, I just saw Daft Punk this past week as well, which was excellent. I either like catchy indie-pop or jazz infused or bluesy rock. I also like folky singer songwriters too, like cat power and bright eyes, pretty gay. I've also seen Phish 110 times (as much as I don't like to admit it). However, when I'm in clubs, I exclusively like to hear hip hop.

Not that I didnt think you'd be into VHS or Beta, its just that your presence is very strong in the electronic music thread, that's all. I wasn't pigeon-holing you.