Hong Kong for suits

soundune

I am planning a trip to Hong Kong in about a month. While I am there I plan on having some suits made up. I am told that fully tailored suits are to be had for a fraction of the price you pay in most other countries.

At this point I don't really know what I want made up (this will be the first time I've gone suit shoping since high school prom) so I am looking for ideas and pictures of suits I like on the internet and in magazines.

Can anyone suggest some good places online to go for suit ideas? I am 6"2, 190lbs and want to go for the slim cut look that seems to be in these days.

Of course I'll pick up the standard grey suit but what else should I get while I have this opportunity for full tailoring at a low cost?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

You should define your price points, especially for MTM suits in Hong Kong.

I still need to check out F2B's recommendation when I go this week, but the other SF forum have praised the craftsmanship of WW Chans at the higher end of the MTM spectrum.

i get my suits made at a place called Harry's Fashion. Harry's actually really great. high quality fabrics and good construction. I pick out my fabrics and give him a picture of the suit i want from a magazine or whatever, and he makes an exact replica. Custom shirts are great too, i can't get business shirts off the rack that are slim enough for me, so they do them and usually throw in a few when i get more than one suit at a time.

First time i was there, he took measurements for me that i didn't even know i had. and they keep all the numbers on file so you can just email them and have another one made. I'm sure most MTM places that, but what's cool about him is that twice a year he sends one of his assistant tailors to the states and he spends 2 months touring the country with all their fabric samples and takes measurements in his hotel rooms. So when i'm not going to be in HK for a while, I'll usually do a meet up in jersey when they're here.

If you speak the language, they work with you a lot on the price, but they can definitely see the rich tourists comin too... two suits i got last time were marked at 900 each, my dad got them both for me for 800. lol

I can't find the exact address now, but if you want more info, PM me to remind me.

got my 2 suits this weekend, both came out perfect. And you know it's bespoke when it achieves a body flattering effect that couldn't possibly derived from MTM templates. Fits perfectly in the shoulders and along the back/waist, yet in the front Bosco cut it so that it actually looks like I have shouolders and a chest, something my previous MTM suit from Cheong Tai couldn't achieve. The fabric is a dream to wear, it feels like i'm wearing thin air when i put my jacket on, the pants is something else ... completely light as air and soft as a baby's bum.

For about $600 USD per suit, i'd say i got my money's worth. It's no Brioni/Anderson & Shepard, but it's a damn good suit.

got my 2 suits this weekend, both came out perfect. And you know it's bespoke when it achieves a body flattering effect that couldn't possibly derived from MTM templates. Fits perfectly in the shoulders and along the back/waist, yet in the front Bosco cut it so that it actually looks like I have shouolders and a chest, something my previous MTM suit from Cheong Tai couldn't achieve. The fabric is a dream to wear, it feels like i'm wearing thin air when i put my jacket on, the pants is something else ... completely light as air and soft as a baby's bum.

For about $600 USD per suit, i'd say i got my money's worth. It's no Brioni/Anderson & Shepard, but it's a damn good suit.

I dont know about HK prices. But is $600USD a reasonable amount to pay, even for the quality you mentioned? Seems a bit on the high side to me.

here's an article i found on the subject.

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/travel/destinations/china/article1903390.ece

says towards the end that you should be prepared to spend around $400 american on a suit. Thi sounds fairly reasonable. Plus the guy is not chinese and i would imagine easier to bargain with since i don't speak a lick of chinese.

anyone heard of Sam's - he sounds fairly popular for some good reasons?

thanks for the continued help

here's an article i found on the subject.

anyone heard of Sam's - he sounds fairly popular for some good reasons?

thanks for the continued help

Despite his popularity and quick turnaround time, I've heard/read that the quality is just decent - nothing to brag about. You can probably get a better suit made from Jantzen over at Central for about the same price point.

• 1 year later...

bosco is a great tailor. My dad has been going there for over 15 years. He does most of the suits for the higher end HSBC guys that fly in from Shanghai... Unfortunately from what I saw last time, he doesn't do most of the work but overseas a worker now.

Two suits for me ran $4000-4500/ea depending on material in 2007.

This year I've gone the cheaper route and am currently getting done at Tai Cheung in Sheung Wan...will let you know how it comes out. Basically I gave the Shenzhen location my Bosco suit and asked them to replicate the cut. If it turns out well I'll have them measure and give me a different style.

Shirts are affordable here, too.