Crotch reinforcement

kapay

I've tried posting this question in the small questions thread with no response so I thought I'd make a new thread about it for anyone else who cares too. Anyways, as most people know, several brands are notorious for their jeans developing crotch holes. I was wondering if anyone has taken preventive measures to reinforce their crotch before wearing them. If so, how did you do it? If not, would it even work?

Crotch repair? I am the master!

I won't go into it here, but some of my restorations have taken longer than it would take to pick the cotton, spin the thread, weave the etc. etc.

For a basic job, bondaweb (sheet, not strip) and a thick bit of sheet/shirt are your friends. Cut to shape and iron on - use one bit for each bit of denim - that's 4 for a full crotch job. If I'm feeling enthusiastic, I might stitch round the edge of the new lining - they peel off eventually if you leave them.

LVC 501s (44, 47) are the worst offenders BY A MILE. In comparison, the Japanese Lee 101 repros are bulletproof.

Phew! I feel like I've just come out or something... I'd better go and do some push-ups now.

What kind of jeans are you trying to repair and where did you buy them from?

Normally any tailor can do a pretty good job of repairing heavily worn denim.

Sorry, was trying to be brief and funny, and I ended up with a pair of novelty pants.

I say never give up on a crotch, FiendForDenim. Particularly when you've shelled out over a ton...

1. Line the worn bits with some old shirt (glad the 45rpm bods agree there!) that you iron on with bondaweb. Yes, it is fiddly.

2) Stitch round it if you want to. You may want to get a woman to do this. Big stitches on the inside, small on the outside - that way noone can see the stitching. Use navy thread. This is a pain in the arse and also fiddly.

3} To make the repair last forever, become good friends with someone with a sewing machine, and get them to do this: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=12729&page=2 (or http://web.archive.org/web/20060217005245/www.45rpm.jp/denim/detail.jsp?id=011〈=en if the first link doesn't work)

I'll post a pic one day, promise

So, what about patching brand new jeans? Meader mentioned using extra denim (which I would probably have from hemming) but doctorgnar said not to use denim. Any other suggestions?

Also, I believe the "bondaweb" modernlover is suggesting is more commonly known as interfacing in fabric stores.

As far as I know, all interfacing melts. I suppose if people worry, you can specifically say iron-on interfacing. However, if you're right, you're right. You probably know much better than me :D

can you suggest a place in SF that does a good job repairing kiya?

Where were the jeans bought from?

You can bring them to us.. we do a pretty good job repairing jeans.

The only thing we can't do right now is remove/attatch rivets.

But we're working on changing that right now..

Repairs are free if you bought the jeans from us, if not they range in price from $10 to $30..

reinforcing them would most likely make it more rigid, meaning more abrasion, FASTER wearing. Wear them, they'll be fine. BUT when it starts wearing thin, fix it before it's a problem (I have some APC's on the shelf right now because I can't be arsed to do a little patching, but don't want to wear them and make it worse)

The only sure way to not get crotch holes is to not wear your pants.

Crotch holes do not appear overnight (except in exceptional circumstances)

Haha, I know. I don't expect instant crotch holes. Though I'd sure impress myself if I did. What about reinforcing it just with thread in either a zig zag or just a little something extra right where the seams cross. There would be no extra abrasion and it won't look any more silly than patching once a hole develops. I just don't know if there's anything I'm missing that could be bad.

Also, some people mentioned a cloth material and I can't possibly see that adding extra abrasion. If I just patch it up with that beforehand, I don't see a problem.