Hair Thread

qom

Hairmates is the only asian salon that gets mentioned, but if you're just looking for someone who understands how to cut asian hair you'll be fine just about any place with asian stylists where they don't use clippers much or at all. Some will be slightly better and some slightly worse, but most will be exactly the same.

I've been going to a place called Kuwayama for about a year. My girl charges 60 and is crazy consistent. It's more than I'd like to be paying for hair, but it's worth it to me for the piece of mind.

but, seriously, the apprentices at those places are not worth the 15-20 break in price. post-cut, I'd be paying triple that at the bar just to drown out the memory.

Hairmates is like the first handjob of japanese hair salons in NYC. They're good to you because you never had something better before. There are much better places in the same vicinity that charge about the same price or even less like K2(I go here now), Dlala, Sei Tomoko, Kino(not sure about this guy, people love or hate him).

Theres a few word of mouth salons that are operated out of people's apartment, or they come to your place if you live in manhattan or Brooklyn. I know of one girl, who is super cute, but really inconsistent so I stopped using her.

thats a nice side part. when i want to casual up mine i usually use less pomade and run my fingers through the hair to break up the eveness. you will need hairspray to hold the hair and possibly blow drying if you're having a shitty volumeness hairday.

yeah i definitely do this some days, want something even more casual though perhaps

and yeah hairmates is aite, i actually second am hearts on kuwayama, went there for my last cut (pre going to who gives a fuck barbers) and i was quite fond of it. been meaning to check tomoko for the student discount tho

Think my hairs long enough to chop off some excess in a few places (finally) and still have enough to topknot it - does anyone have pictures earlier saved or any new ones? Need some reference again and I had them saved on a laptop in SD but the only one I have here is 2000db's

it was 24 but not worth it

i will never skimp on cuts again

I'm fighting the urge to say I told you so, but I definitely know it takes awhile and some mistakes to figure it out yourself.

If you're going to do anything with asian hair other than buzz it, you're going to have to pay 50+, especially in this city. It's a cost you'll just have to learn to justify to yourself.

I really need a product that will keep my jugend in place whilst looking like I have nothing in my hair. I've tried hairspray, a seasalt spray and a moulding wax stuff. I'm in the UK too so it preferably needs to be something by a relatively big name. I'm fed up with the wind blowing my hair everywhere!

What you're asking for might be impossible depending on how thin and controllable your hair is... My hair is pretty thin+fine and as such takes a beating from the wind but the best thing ive found for my haircut (jugend grown out for 2-3 months with one trim on the sides+back in the proccess) is American crew matte fiber