What kind of suit do you have?

Guest nyctaipei

Guest nyctaipei

I have a wedding to attend to next month and I have to buy a suit, it will be my first suit.

I guess my range is around $700-1000.

I will be going to Saks Fifth Avenue (I am not in New York right now).

Would you guys recommend solid black suit or a more sophisticated light striped suit?

Last time I tried on suits the lady recommended striped for me and it looks really good. It was a Zegna.

What kind of suit do you have, what was the price, and what brands do you guys recommend?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nyctaipei

They look like they have nice suits, but I am in Columbus Ohio right now.

The only best store I can think of is Saks. (Boss, Armani, Zegna, Burberry, etc.)

Guest nyctaipei

I plan on getting it fully tailored.

I think $1000 is enough for an invesment for my first suit.

What brands from Saks would you guys recommend?

Do you guys think Hugo Boss make good suits? They seem quality to me.

The Zegna slim fits real well though.....

the only suit i own is recently purchased from H&M for less than 100 dollars completely after tailoring as well.

i'm extremely broke at the moment and can't afford a damn thing else. and the fit of the suit is perfect anyway, thats really all i can be bothered with.

Get a Dolce suit, their mainline are fully canvassed and pretty good quality with interesting styling. If this will be your only suit for a while I'd get a 2 buttons charcoal one as it can possibly be worn at marriages, funerals and interviews. Make sure they adjust it properly. I personnally prefer black suits but my situation is probably different from yours so....

Hugo Boss is passable quality (the fusing isn't that bad) but not really worth it unless you have a steep discount. I usually dislike their fabrics but they have a few in some sort of english prince of whales wool that look pretty good. Cut can go from ultra-boxy to somewhat slim.

Make sure that in addition to adjusting the sleeves they handle waist supression, lenght of the jacket and possible extra fabric in the back.

Because the models on most webstores are totally hot and that makes me want to buy clothes. The suits on the TaT site fit the guys, and the pics show multiple angles; what more do you want?

$1000 should be plenty for a nice suit and tailoring. Make sure you leave enough time for the tailor.

I was travelling through Southeast Asia several years ago and made a stop in Thailand. Had a bespoke suit made for around $300 usd. Damn good $300. I've received nothing but compliments everytime I wear this suit. People get gassed when I tell them what I spent. I need to get another one. Three too many beers and I really can't fit into the pants anymore. I still rock the blazer tho'.

I have two "good" suits. Both from Dunhill. I advise that you make sure the pieces are stitched and not glued. Stick with a classic design.

And the only reason that I spent as much as I did was because there are court appearances in my line of work.

If you don't plan on wearing it frequently anything from the mall will work just fine after a visit with the tailor.

I agree with Fuuma about the Dolce suit, I own one myself (though due to some steep discounts and coupons, it was only $300 at an Saks Off 5th) anyways I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND spending $1000 or anywhere close to that on a first suit. Spend a few hundred at the most, and factor in about $50-$100 for tailoring. My advice stems from the fact that your taste will likely change in the style of clothing (including suits) that you will like to wear. I highly doubt many people here still love their first pair of jeans or the first blazer that they bought, it is a lot more likely that they will think the fit is totally off from having bought and worn many more of the same type of items over the course of time. I think the same goes for suits, you may like one style today only to not like it a year from now, and $1000 is a lot to spend for a suit that you may only wear 3-4 times this year if only for special events. Anyways good luck and post what you get after you get it.

I totally HATE the models of ThickAsThieves. Ugliest people you can find to "model" suits.

Models are the owners/tailors at thickasthieves so they can be forgiven for their shortcomings ...Get Smart is a reqular poster on styleforum, the odd time wearing one of his suits, always looks damn good on him(Fuuma will agree)...

Anyway, for that kinda money if you should be able to get a Paul Smith suit or if Saks carry an Aquascutum suit I'd go for one of them...Personally my Ozwald Boateng I picked up 5 years ago hasn't let me down...

i agree with fuuma that you should get a charcoal 2 button which is about as mainstream as you can get. wool should be a year-round medium weight, it should go without saying but the pants should be flat-front. the other color option is navy, i would avoid black as a first / everyday suit unless you like "who's funeral is it today" jokes.

it's admirable to shell out for a quality hand-basted or bespoke suit but to be honest unless you have cash to burn, you should go around the block a little bit so you know what you want for an investment like that - esp with bespoke where you are calling all the shots based on your personal preference.

btw for your budget i always thought canali was a pretty good deal if they have it at saks. tho personally i don't like italian style power shoulders, canali is somewhat more restrained

If you are going to NYC, check out Bloomingdale's. You missed the 50% off sale, but the majority of the suits are still 40% off.

If you are a slimmer guy and you want a more fitted/slim suit, I would recommend Canali over the rest of the brands they carry (Zegna, Boss, Corneliani, Burberry, etc.). The construction is excellent as well. In terms of quality/fit I would recommend Boss least out of the aforementioned brands. With 40% off, you are looking at about $800 for a very nice Canali.

In terms of colors, as others have mentioned, you should definitely buy a charcoal gray, a light gray, or a navy blue (sans stripes, etc.) 2-button. These are all versatile enough for interviews as well as formal occasions.

I'm selling a brand new Helmut Lang suit in supermarket! check it out! Can't get those anymore!

Otherwise, get a tailor or Jil Sander (on sale).

I was working with the limited options he offered. My favourite RTW suits are Jil Sander tailor made but they're not in production anymore and I doubt his Saks carry brands like Jil, Dior Homme or the other more fashion forward suits that I might also recommend.

If you are going to NYC, check out Bloomingdale's. You missed the 50% off sale, but the majority of the suits are still 40% off.

If you are a slimmer guy and you want a more fitted/slim suit, I would recommend Canali over the rest of the brands they carry (Zegna, Boss, Corneliani, Burberry, etc.). The construction is excellent as well. In terms of quality/fit I would recommend Boss least out of the aforementioned brands. With 40% off, you are looking at about $800 for a very nice Canali.

In terms of colors, as others have mentioned, you should definitely buy a charcoal gray, a light gray, or a navy blue (sans stripes, etc.) 2-button. These are all versatile enough for interviews as well as formal occasions.

There are many differents cuts but, overall, Canali are relatively boxy, even compared to Zegna in my experience.