Hanging on to your clothes.

Here's a thought I've been having lately, from what I understand from the Supermarket, alot of people seem to get stuff, wear it a couple of times and then let it go again. While I can completely understand this if something doesn't fit, some people seem to do it out of the need to buy new stuff or just because they don't like it that much.

Anyway, recently I dug up some pieces that I've had for a couple of years and didn't wear that much back then and they eventually went to the back of my closet.

I remembered them took them out and they go really well with what I'm trying to achieve with my look at the moment. Back when I first got them I wore them in a completely different way and probably would've never imagined them the way I wear them now.

Long story, what I mean is don't you guys ever regret selling things and also are most of those things impulse buys or something since they're so easy to let go off.

When I get something I'm always almost 100% sure I want it, and maybe that's why I also hardly ever feel the urge to sell it again. Maybe it also has to do with how much of a "hypebuyer" you are, I don't know....

I have some stuff in my wardrobe that I hardly ever wear anymore and am sure that it would go well on the Supermarket yet I could never part with, partly because I still like it eventhough I'm not wearing it and partly because, well, who knows how the way I look will evolve and how things might fit in.

I guess I'm just surprised at the speed at wich people keep on buying and buying (and selling) new things.

Isn't part of the challenge working with what you've got? (provided you've got a solid base)

Thoughts all over the place in this post, hope it still makes little sense.

Waddaya think???

for me style is always evolving. it doesnt help being in here and being exposed to new things all the time.so i buy a bunch of stuff and resell a bunch of stuff as well. it only helps me get as close to bottom line as i can get wiht my look. with so many new things coming out,i doubt i will get there,but i dont mind.:P

My look evolves very slowly and I usually try to incorporate old items with new ones and try to find new ways of wearing them. I wear all my stuff to death, so I really have nothing worth selling. Some things I've had for almost 10 years that are still going strong.

to add: I'm generalizing a little but I guess it is the trend base stuff that (trendy) people find easier to let go, knowing very well that the shit can't be worn anymore in a few months time.

I have never sold a single item of clothing I own. I have recently been preparing a sort of "Conceptual" Supermarket post in my mind. On the train, or before bed, I try to index the things I could bare to part with, and approximate their percieved value on this forum.

I have some stuff that would get snatched quick from a few brands that are well liked, and some stuff that might sell just cause it is a nice piece. Then of course, there are the things that would probably not sell. I'm not talking about the closet full of Mishka, Crooks, Supreme, or whatever (that I don't have), but more about older NY streetwear in the traditional sense; Carharrt hoodies, Mil Surplus, Skate company wears, etc....

I feel almost exactly the same as you do when it comes to actually photographing and parting with these items though. They have become a part of me, and represent the various phases I have gone through...I just can't seem to do it.

I think that befores summer's end though, I am going to downsize significantly, both through the market, and the goodwill.

Keep your eyes peeled...and thanks for a good topic.

i have a collection/closet full of old stuff at my parents house that i dont think i'll ever get rid of.

its pretty much old sneakers, shirts, records, books, mags, etc.. things that i feel made me who i am today.

other than that closet.. i dont have an attachment to any material items.

except maybe this santoku knife ive been using and the bike im currently building. ha.

Exactly.

I have stacks of old skate and graff mags I don't think I could get rid of.

oh yea....i have a few crates with old graffiti, skating, and music zines that arent going anywhere soon...if my home was on fire, the only things i would grab would be mentioned above and all my 7"s......

maybe my cat..

Homer Lusk Collyer (November 6, 1881 – March 21, 1947) and Langley Collyer (October 3, 1885 – March 1947) were two American brothers who became famous because of their reclusiveness, filth and compulsive hoarding. The brothers are often cited as an example of compulsive hoarding associated with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), as well as disposophobia or Collyer brothers syndrome, a fear of throwing anything away. For decades, neighborhood rumors swirled around the rarely-seen, unemployed men and their home at 2078 Fifth Avenue (at the corner of 128th Street), in Manhattan, where they obsessively collected newspapers, books, furniture, musical instruments, and many other items, with booby-traps set up in corridors and doorways to protect against intruders. Both were eventually found dead in the Harlem brownstone where they had lived as hermits, surrounded by over 100 tons of rubbish that they had amassed over several decades.

oh yea....i have a few crates with old graffiti, skating, and music zines that arent going anywhere soon...if my home was on fire, the only things i would grab would be mentioned above and all my 7"s......

maybe my cat..

Along these same lines (and my earlier post) I was wondering if there would be much of a market for art books/photobooks/graff zines etc... in the Supermarket.

Like, what does a Massappeal issue one or two fetch these days???

Old Slug n Lettuce?

Profane?

Stress?

Life Sucks Die?

Big Brother?

the Slap Mag issue with "What's in a skateboarders pocket?", one of my all time favorite editorial pieces....?

i only recently sold some things on Supermarket, or anywhere online.

i made the decision because i felt that i had some items that would be of more value to other people, and that would allow me to purchase things that were more in-line with the person that i am today.

i didn't feel guilty about getting rid of these items so much so as i felt positive about growing as an individual and ridding myself of things that no longer define me. a major part of it, also, is that i consciously feel myself maturing, in my head. and that began to clash with the image that i perceived myself portraying with my appearance.

Along these same lines (and my earlier post) I was wondering if there would be much of a market for art books/photobooks/graff zines etc... in the Supermarket.

Like, what does a Massappeal issue one or two fetch these days???

Old Slug n Lettuce?

Profane?

Stress?

Life Sucks Die?

Big Brother?

the Slap Mag issue with "What's in a skateboarders pocket?", one of my all time favorite editorial pieces....?

hold onto all that shit and then donate it to the museum of subculture i plan on starting when i'm 65.

I get rid of shirts and the occasional pair of shoes, but never jeans.

I still have jeans that I wore in high school, and of course I have amassed dozens of pairs in the 20+ years since (occupational hazard, I guess).

When I'm old (er than now, anyway) I want to lay them all out in chronological order and look back on the denim timeline of my life.

Wow- am I a nerd.

i only recently sold some things on Supermarket, or anywhere online.

i made the decision because i felt that i had some items that would be of more value to other people, and that would allow me to purchase things that were more in-line with the person that i am today.

i didn't feel guilty about getting rid of these items so much so as i felt positive about growing as an individual and ridding myself of things that no longer define me. a major part of it, also, is that i consciously feel myself maturing, in my head. and that began to clash with the image that i perceived myself portraying with my appearance.

very well said...I totally agree with you on this one...

It is really tough letting go of some of the stuff that you have especially if it has a sentimental value. I normally keep something if it was given to me by somebody who is dear to me...I keep it as a momento! And whenever I see that item it reminds me the best times of my life.

And of course I get rid of stuff that reminds me of bad experiences in the past. Letting go is very therapeutic I think. It is one way of releasing pain and moving on to the next level...and not holding on too much of the past.

ive been giving alot of thought to this very topic lately

i mean there things i like but just dont fit into who or where i am as a person today

that being said i feel more comfortable after throwing it out as not only have i reduced clutter, ive been able to better organize and catergorize what i DO own.

at the end of the day if i dont wear something, id like to at least have the cash in my hand so i can do something else with it, while letting someone who likes my old clothes enjoy what i sold

I used to be the same way; Not being able to get rid of stuff until just recently. I was going through boxes of clothing I still had from Junior High and High School, obviously stuff I didn't wear anymore but somehow it stuck around over the years. Now, after months of selling old clothing, I have made enough to fund pretty much every purchase I have made in the last couple months and then some. It also feels pretty good to get rid of some of those older objects.

My goal now, slim down my closet (thus my sale thread) and buy pieces I know are going to last, be of quality, and help evoke my own sense of style. My style is still evolving, but I think I'm starting to make a good foundation of a wardrobe.

I don't really sell too many of my clothes. I like a lot of them beyond their style, some of them have real sentimental value, actually. My girlfriend and I have had fights about it, actually. But, she'll definitely wear some of my really old shirts. It's gotten so comfy. It's true vintage, you can actually see through one of them.

I would like to get rid of some stuff that I haven't worn a lot, and bought off of ebay that I just liked the look of, but was the wrong size (anyone else ever do this?).

I used to keep stuff that I dont wear, trying to convince myself that I was going to "collect" clothes. But it justs makes more sense to sell clothes you dont use and get better stuff that you will wear.

I used to keep stuff that I dont wear, trying to convince myself that I was going to "collect" clothes. But it justs makes more sense to sell clothes you dont use and get better stuff that you will wear.

Exactly, I look at clothes with regard to their design/fit/tailoring and most of my old clothes well don't really do it for me so there is no point in keeping them. They don't have sentimental value (most at least) and if they're being outshined by all the pieces I'd hope they make someone with a transitioning style happy. Everything I buy now and have been buying is thought through extensively in order to maintain a highly edited wardrobe.

I'm not good at letting go, I knew that already.

I guess that letting go could be considered good,

I just think that finding something again is ever better. ha!

it sounds like you've got a collector's soul. so what else do you collect?

• 2 weeks later...

bottle caps.

i find that if there's something truly worth keeping, then i'll keep it.

for example, timeless clothes - there's no need to sell unless it's completely royally fucked at the seams DESU DESU.

if it was bought on impulse, i wouldn't feel as attached to it.

also, good point on the 'buy as much weight as you sell', gets rid of the need to expand your closet.

I'm terrible for holding onto shit like old magazines and other knick knacks from my childhood that when I left for university I did a cleansing of my room and recycled 95% of the magazines and random papers and donated a bunch of clothing. I also recently donated a bunch of screenprinted shirts that I made and couldn't sell in hopes that I might one day see my stuff on some random person on the street.

Even as I look around myself, there's way too much crap without sentimentality but would still be tough to get rid of.

i agree totally with cotton duck. me too can never get rid of stuff, lest for the really cheap and lousy quality stuff that i bought when i was much younger. i just find it no longer suit me and neither should own them, so i threw them away.

like you, stuff i like i will keep them, some stuff have been with me for longer than ten years and are still going strong.

i think over the years, i have learnt not to buy things on impulse, even if they are on sale.

only buy when i think they really suit me, even if it is gonna make me feel the pinch in my pocket.

I have mostly given away old clothes to my friends and family. I keep everything mint and I was stoked to see that my cousin was wearing a pair of camo shorts that I had given him on the 4th. I gave him these shorts over 3 years ago and they still look dope/well cared for surprisingly. There are a few pairs of jeans that I will not wear to school/out that are still useable but I think that I will just thrash in them since I will probably will not get much love for diesel's here -_- on the supermarket.

I may sell a couple pair of nike's on the supermarket though.

• 1 year later...