Selvage Denim vs. Overpriced "name brands"

Davidbaze

Alright all you denim heads, why exactly are True Religions, Paper Denim Cloth etc... so expensive when compared to an A.P.C. they seem much less sturdy in construction.

I know the difference between selvage denim, and the fact that some jeans have unique washes etc... but really... why should a True Religion be priced at $275???

I'd just like a decent synopsis of why japanese raws or selvage denim in general is so favored on here vs. other similarly priced competitors.

(I really just wanted to see people attack companies like True Religion and further convince people like me to invest in a nice pair of raws)

A lot of it has to do with price point and desired sales segment. There is a limit to the cost of production on a single pair of jeans, and it's ALWAYS much less than retail (by definition, otherwise making them wouldn't be profitable). Your "average" pair of true religions aren't going to cost a while ton more than your "average" pair of $40 levis, but true religion has a particular market segment in mind (people who can and will pay $250 for a pair of jeans - surely SF people will understand THAT sentiment at least) and in order to appeal to that population they need to price accordingly.

i know i dont have a high post count but thats funny how a lot of new people come on the board and always ask dumb questions and need convincing and shit like that... again i dont have a high post count but its like more people are coming on thinking raw denim is a trend or whatever. its just pants.

(I really just wanted to see people attack companies like True Religion and further convince people like me to invest in a nice pair of raws)

"Uh, uh, oh yeah - you attack those overpriced Diesels, you big animals! Rip them apart with your scary claws! Oh, look, they already have claw marks on them"

Alright all you denim heads, why exactly are True Religions, Paper Denim Cloth etc... so expensive when compared to an A.P.C. they seem much less sturdy in construction.

Youd probably get more pussy wearing a pair of zathans than a pair of sammies.

The sammies would laster longer though, and after a couple years of wear, would look cooler too.

Youd probably get more pussy wearing a pair of zathans than a pair of sammies.

The sammies would laster longer though, and after a couple years of wear, would look cooler too.

Then it's a good thing that users here care more about what anonymous guys obsessed with denim that they meet online think about their jeans than what actual women who they have an opportunity to score with think.

Then it's a good thing that users here care more about what anonymous guys obsessed with denim that they meet online think about their jeans than what actual women who they have an opportunity to score with think.

sounds fucked-up, but true. if wearing annonymous artisanal selvedge is cockblocking me, i cant tell. usually the fact that im black, and im wearing "generic looking" denim makes me peculiar, especially when someone can see me twice a week for months, and i always have on the same pair. ive only had one girl compliment me on my jeans, and she was just making smalltalk. plus, my dreamgirl is wearing a pair of gieshas right, now. i dont know, last month, i almost had 3 different girls in 3 days...

I think that whole " i dress to get girls" is stupid... dress as you want and do it good. If you have any taste you´ll probably get chicks anyway.

word

chicks just like a guy who is cool and can take control

if ur insecure and a pussy it doesnt matter what the fuck you're wearing

I thought this thread was going to be about why, say, Samurai / Skulls are better than other more generic selvage japanese brands and was legitimately interested.

As is so often the case, I am dissapointed.

^^me too

Its evident how everyone feels about different brands of denim here...why does this discussion have to be beaten to death...if you're into true religion, find another forum, if not, take a seat and enjoy all the information that the boys on here have to offer....not to mention the class-act insults and bitchy cat fights. :D

Yeah I thought it was going to be about that too...anyway I think the differences are relatively small. Obviously some brands are going to have better detail and service. I think half of the reason we endorse some of these brands is the dedication of those who make and sell the product. I'm not saying that some no-name brand won't have the same dedication, but they might not know as much or be as into it. Who the hell knows, there might be some small jean shop in the middle of nowhere selling to Yankees that has incredible denim.

I think that whole " i dress to get girls" is stupid... dress as you want and do it good. If you have any taste you´ll probably get chicks anyway.

I tried to rep you, but I can't... Anyway, I agree with this. We're not ducks or something who expose plumage in a mating dance. We're fucking human beings with creative sensibilities and a personality.

David Wallace said that Dostoyevsky's "concern was always what it is to be a human being — that is, how to be an actual person, someone whose life is informed by values and principles, instead of just an especially shrewd kind of self-preserving animal."

I'm sick of hearing how much more pussy we would all be getting if we were wearing True Religion and Deisel Jeans. Stick by your principles or get out.

It is not 'just clothes and shoes.' It's the only part of your personality that is visible to yourself and everybody around you. It makes a statement about how you want to be seen and defined in life. It tells a lot about one's personality and the things which are important to them. Authenticity, tradition, undertstatement and class.

so if I'm poor but a genius how would you judge me from the outside. picture me wearing old stonewashed levi's and an old big dogs t-shirt. i don't think it's fair to characterize people based on their clothing...it's the most superficial aspect.