San Diego: Next Friday, May 7, Cassius King presents "Welcome to the Carnival Fabulon"

sugarboots

ok ... this one is NEXT FREAKIN FRIDAY (and i'll actually have some small pieces in the show too)

CarnivalFlyer.jpg

check here for previews:

http://sugarboots.com/art-shows/?album=carnival-fabulon

and a quick run down:

Welcome to the Carnival Fabulon!

Co-curated and Press Release by: Chako Suzuki

The carnival rolls in sometime after midnight . . . The shrill siren song of a calliope beckons to all with a seductive promise of dreams and youth regained. — Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

These [scary stories are] written by norms to scare norms. And do you know what the monsters and demons and rancid spirits are? Us, that’s what. You and me. We are the things that come to the norms in nightmares … These books teach me a lot. They don’t scare me because they’re about me. — Catherine Dunn, Geek Love

P.T. Barnum introduced America to its first circus sideshow over a hundred years ago; it has since become an obligatory part of circus culture. Barnum entertained the country by presenting people and acts from outside the mundane world, and the audience was bewitched. His freak show attractions simultaneously piqued the curiosity and repulsion of its viewers who kept coming back for more.

These days, a good carnival freakshow is hard to find. If you're tired of the same old smoke and mirrors tricks, come satisfy your cravings for a carnivalesque spectacle at the Cassius King Gallery. Curators, Alma Ronis and Chako Suzuki, are rolling in the Carnival Fabulon, a showcase of art inspired by such literary works as Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes and Catherine Dunn's cult classic, Geek Love. Dare to ask yourself: "What is normal?", "What is freakish?" Will you run? Will you hide? Will you gawk? Will you laugh? How will you fare at the Carnival Fabulon?

Come see what's under the big top at the opening night reception on Friday, May 7, 2004, from 6 - 11:00 pm absolutely free! There will be artwork to buy, so bring your alfalfa! The show will only run until May 31, 2004.

Sideshow artists include: Carson Ellis, Martha Rich, Kathy Ruppert, Rachel Salomon, Alika Cooper, Barbara Rourke, Chako Suzuki, Stefanie Augustine, Maura Vazakas, Alexia Markarian, Tina Sedonne, Elizabeth Washburn, Barbara Rourke, Alexia Markarian, Tina Sedonne, Rebecca Westcott, Esther Watson, Amanda Dunbier, Emily Coonce

Edited by sugarboots on May 3, 2004 at 02:10 PM

• 2 weeks later...