why do vests cost so much!? and phooey on Barneys

So I've been looking for a vest for the longest time -- first during the winter I wanted a sweater one, but since spring I've been looking for the regular tailored ones that come with 3 piece suits. Now I had no idea what to expect but every where I looked -- $200+??? One day last week I decided to scour the city for one. I had it narrowed down to a great dark grey one from Theory I saw at the SoHo Bloomingdale's, but there were no medium sizes. Hugo Boss had a blue one that looked great but I wasn't too crazy about the linen material and I wanted either a black or grey one. J Lindberg's was too light. APC had the perfect fit and I LOVED how theirs had 2 straps on the sides instead of the more common one on the back.. but it was purple. Paul Smith also had great ones but the back was purple. So after all this searching I find a good one from Cloak at Barneys on sale for $229 (down from a whopping $350). Well I got the only one there, a medium. The next day since I was in Central Park, I decided to stop in again at Barneys to look around. Lo and behold, a better fitting size small is on the rack. I put it on hold, complete with my name and phone number on the tag. I return the next day with my medium to exchange it and to my surprise, it's lost! Either the salesperson put it somewhere no one else knows or they released it from holding. Whatever the case, I was pissed (especially since the salesperson that day insinuated that I didn't properly put a tag on it) and returned my medium. Then I did something I should have done the first day -- I went over to the uptown Bloomingdale and found that original Theory one I wanted in a medium, so I got it there. No thanks Barneys!! Across the board I was so amazed by the consistency of the high prices, I just didnt understand what was going into making such a small piece of clothing. Incidently, I saw 3 of the many I tried in my issue of Details that arrived today -- the Hugo Boss, my Theory and the Paul Smith one. You can check em out if you have the issue.

OMC Roundup™

1. you're young, aren't you?

3. you're surprised that Barney's is expensive?

56. you're complaining that Barney's is expensive, and yet,

you went there of your own volition to buy a simple grey or black vest?

1b. have you ever ridden a short yellow bus to school?

1c. while drooling on your osh kosh b'gosh vest?

08563. you could've gotten a GREAT vest at any number of vintage stores

around Manhattan, many from labels that you'd recognize, for fifty bucks tops.

2000. all this huffy-puffy and you bought a Theory vest...

Vest is one of my favorite pieces of clothing!!! It's very versatile...you can wear it with whatever...during summer time you can just wear it with just a tank or a low v-neck tee...during wintertime you can pair it with a suit or a cardi...I have two YSL vests that I wear all the time...

I guess the most important thing to remember when buying a vest is the fit...Whether it's straight from your favorite Parisian designer or getting it from mass-produced labels make sure that the vest fits you right...there's always alteration if you end up getting a bigger size...

Also, try checking out thrift/vintage stores. Sometimes they have good stuff there. You just need to be very patient...I've gotten one there...

These are pictures of my vests...

jpparty.jpg

jp1.jpg

OMC Roundupâ„¢

1. you're young, aren't you?

3. you're surprised that Barney's is expensive?

56. you're complaining that Barney's is expensive, and yet,

you went there of your own volition to buy a simple grey or black vest?

sigh...so basically i'm young and stupid cuz I went to Barneys and was shocked at the prices eh?.... my fault for giving that impression I guess, I should have clarified the point of my post:

Yes I am well aware of the higher prices at Barneys -- my monthly bill from their charge card reminds me so every month -- but as I understand it, items should be proportionately higher. Take two items, a tshirt and a blazer for example. A lower priced place like Banana or Gap would probably have them for say, $30 and $100 respectively. Of course I'd expect their prices to skyrocket at higher end places like Lanvin for example, where the blazer can shoot up to $1000...but NOT the tshirt. The highest I've seen designers dare to charge for a tshirt is around the $150 range. This discrepancy, I am guessing, is due to the higher complexity of the blazer in terms of material and tailoring. However, (and this is the point of my post), I dont know anything about clothing construction and so I was wondering what is it about a small item like a vest that brings its price up to the $350 range. This is on par with shirts and pants (items that I thought required more skill in making). I thought high end labels would have vests for at most $150, $175 maybe, but not over $300. So, you can fault my ignorance in clothing construction but lay off of the cheap shots -- I'm not that retarded as to be shocked by Barney's high prices.

see, now your post makes more sense, and none of us have to fight the urge to make fun of your situation.

there are a multitude of reasons why a vest costs as much as it does compared to a tee, and yet, is seemingly as simple as a tee shirt, ranging from fabric used to the complexity of its

craftwork. all in all, making a tee is much more simple and less costly than manufacturing a vest which, in many cases, requires just as much work as a collared shirt.

Because people are simply willing to pay that much for a vest. Production and marketing costs aside, which are probably a fraction of its retail price, you are mostly paying for the label and "exclusivity."

Have we still not gotten past the fact that there might be some people out there spending more money on clothes for reasons other than 'exclusivity?'

Yea, I swear I've seen 10 other posts that are quite similar to this. Everyone seems so surprised when they find out companies like Lanvin can charge upwards of $500 for a vest and Banana Republic can charge $50. There are all sorts of things that distinguish one item from the other despite them looking similar or being similar pieces of clothing. But the one that matters the most is that Lanvin has chose to market thier clothing to people who don't blink an eye lash at high prices and love quality, etc. etc. Shit, the two vests may have a cost difference of $10 in production, but that isn't what ultimately determines the price in say, a place like Barneys.

I hope this all made sense.

Bing bom boom.

Have we still not gotten past the fact that there might be some people out there spending more money on clothes for reasons other than 'exclusivity?'

I don't disagree with you that there are those who buy clothes because it's well-made or it's aesthetically pleasing or because they would be naked if they didn't, etc. Sure. But if we're talking about high end, high priced clothing, to some degree, most of us are buying said pricey items so we can somehow distinguish ourselves from others, and whether it's knowing that you own a beautiful jacket or feeling smug because you've just purchased a limited edition Patek is not the point.

That said, I can see how some may feel great knowing they've just purchased a well-made, beautiful leather jacket etc, but the moment you plop down one thousand dollars on a jacket, or any luxury item, you've just shown that you are willing to pay much more than the typical american man would on a jacket. In other words, you are still buying an item whose price and limited supply excludes most people from buying it, which is what I meant by buying exclusivity. The item's expensive, but you are willing to pay money to buy that particular jacket. Thus, you've just spent dollars in exchange for exclusivity, whether you've realized it or not, whether you care or not.

In any case, consumers don't set prices; designers, stores, brands, etc ultimately do. There will always be a demand out there, e.g. someone will want to buy that sheer thong or ten thousand dollar wallet, and as long as humans continue to show demand for anything--and we will--suppliers can and will set the price on it, and interested person will purchase it.

Bottom line: you determine whether or not it's worth it.

Okay enough.

I hang out at this hookah bar that usually has no more than 3 other tables filled. Last week they had a cover charge for the first time, and the place was packed full, the biggest crowd ive ever seen there.

On the topic of vests, I think they look akward and out of place on a casual outfit. But fine with a suit. But my opinion doesnt count, cause im not a fashion guru.