Opinions from older and wiser.

broneck

so some shit got fucked up in 2nd year, and then in 3rd year i just completely screwed the pooch school wise....and now while i'm not failing out, i have no more funding (read: my parents wisely pulled the plug). I'm 36 credits, or about 7800 bucks, or about another year and a half of school away from graduating, but i hate my worthless program anyway.do i drop out and cut my losses? get a job fulltime and pay my dues with part time schooling Senseless style? transfer my credits to college and do some bullshit G.A. degree? take apprenticeship training and become a welder? kill myself?

sunk costs only apply to unsalvagable situations. your education can always be recovered. if you're a couple semesters away from graduation and you haven't yet reached the breaking point (academic probation per se), there's still hope (depending on how badly you want your degree).

find employment or take up student loans if you have to, i say finish it up.

I have to agree with insidertrading, you should stick with it and get your degree. Student loans for the most part are very flexible and affordable, so you should go that route if you can. Trying to work full time / study part time is way too draining, and you should only consider that if all other options don't work out. Even if you hate your degree, just stick with it and look for jobs that are somewhat related to your degree but also somewhat related to what you want to do once you're out of school. As long as you do well in your remaining classes, and rack up some work experience, you will be set once you graduate. Unless you plan on entering a very competitive field, your potential employers aren't going to ask for your gpa. And even if they ask, you can cite that you got your situation under control and did well for the remaining year+.

I'd say finish up.

Although, I can see your predicament, as I would assume you initially intended on taking it a bit further, but with your current gpa thats probably not possible....

Still, degree is better than no degree, and in the semi-long run, whatever job you get will pay you back the 7800+interest in higher salary because of your degree.

Guest StuckOnStupid

not to be a dick...

but every single person I know personally that is succesful financially as well as doing something they like never went to college. A lot of them didn't even finish high school.

But what do I know? I just got laid off my shitty office job.

Don't know how it works in the US, but over here if you fuck up a year getting diagnosed with clinical depression sure as hell helps when it comes to getting full funding for your retake year (glossing over the fact that it was largely inflicted by mass consumption of narcotic substances kind of helps in the doctor's surgery).

I recommend that you don't make an important decision based on advise from internet denim whores.

You can be successful by finishing school, leaving school, working full time, it doesn't matter. It works differently for everyone. Do what is best for you. Sometimes your current situation becomes more important then planning for the future so you have to do whatever will get you into a better position - then you concentrate on the future. Just keep everything in perspective, consider all options and don't make hasty decisions and whatever you do don't base those decisions on the basis of others and their experiences as i can't stress enough that outcomes are different for everyone.

ps. goodluck.

my 2c.

not to be a dick...

but every single person I know personally that is succesful financially as well as doing something they like never went to college. A lot of them didn't even finish high school.

But what do I know?

I used to say this shit to my mom all the time, and while it can be true, in the years since then, I would dare say that college is beggining to become the new highschool. That doesn't mean that you can't be succesful without it, but it probably means that you can be succesful without it only if your nterests lead you in a direction that requires neither of those things (rapping, selling dope, being a photographer, or starting some sort of business in the realm of technology and becoming an overnight success story who never need work another day at your dead-end store clerk job). But for real, unless your Steve Jobs, Stephen Shore, or 50 cent, success will continue to allude you because snide fucks will slam the door in your face before you can even stick your dunk in.

Finish school.

Or abandon it whole heartedly, try to do what you love, fail, and come back to the drawing board a wiser man.

No halfsteppin.

i just finished college.

my advice?

finish college.

why?

because you're not cool enough to make it without a degree.

i'm sorry. it is the truth. i don't care how many sluts throw themselves at you. bastard.

your friend,

OMC.

I was in a very similar situation while in college although I went to a state school and my parents agreed to pay for me to finish. Anyways, I was also an English Major by default with really no idea of what the hell I wanted to do. I was very depressed and completely lost and clueless about what I wanted to do. Well really I was just too scared/young to do what I really wanted to do. I stuck with it and I can honestly say it was not worth it. Sure I got my degree but I spent another 2-3 years just as confused and now I'm looking to do something that has nothing to do with my degree. I don;t know what state you are in emotionally but I would suggest taking a few months off, (BUT NOT MOVING BACK HOME) clearing your head, getting some perspective about yourself and what you want to do, and then deciding if you want to go back to school or do something else. Get a job that does not stres you out. Go to a library and read something that you picked out yourself. If you follow what YOU want to do in a constructive way then you're gunna be happy. The point of a degree is to prove that you possess some type of knowledge or skill. If you are disinterested or unable to actively participate in your education than the degree is essentially worthless. No matter what anybody tells you, and really no matter how old your are, you are still young and have plenty of time to sort stuff out.

I'd say finish school, I had a miserable grade in college but I did get a job, and mostly due to the fact I have a degree.

Statistically speaking, college degree, although being just a piece of a paper gives you more options of employment, and more liklihood of higher earning.

Ofcrouse, you may be a great writer, and lack of degree may not prevent you from writing the next great Canadian novel. But having that degree probably will not prevent you from writing great stuff neither.

As lame as it may sound, go talk to guidance counselors at your school, if the first one doesn't help you out enough seek out another. I ended up talking directly with one of the dean and he really got me back on track (although he made me play flag football with him on Sunday mornings at 8AM). You also should look into getting some financing, there should be resources at your school, and some of your friends may be paying their way through college - talk to as many people as it takes and get info.

Whatever you do, I hope things turn out for the better. I don't know you but I prefer to read a post about you commenting 'hey, life is better' than 'my life is still in shambles'

I ended up talking directly with one of the dean and he really got me back on track (although he made me play naked touch football with him on Sunday mornings at 8AM in his apartment).

some people will do anything for an A...

i think the general concensus seems to be finish college or win the lottery.

unfortunately i'm fairly certain i'm not eligible for OSAP (ontario student assistance programs) based on how much my parents make, so the work+school thing is probably going to be the chosen route. guidance meeting today to see about switching into communications, then a 1 year course in college for a post graduate H.R. or mareketing course and see where that takes me.

thanks for input, advice and well wishes folks.

I would advise you to finish also.

A friend of mine decided to be a lazy shit in college, he got kicked out because of his low marks.

He's not connected enough to make it without a degree and now he's taking some classes at an online college .. and got suckered into one of those pyramid scheme companies which advertise about how much money you'll make with them, when in reality they're ripping you off.

Don't be like this asshole, finish school.

some people will do anything for an A...

sad part is, it wasn't even for an A, it was just to keep my ass in college.

my roommates were in the same boat as me so they had to play too, one of my roommate verbally tormented another one so bad after torching him for several touchdowns that the tormented one went into a shell and was never the same person when he played sports. In a separate occassion, I got pissed off at the tormenter so I ran all over him on my way into the endzone, the game ended in two of us getting into fistfights.

talk about higher learing, all the while, the dean was constantly blabbing about him being steve young and how he was orchestrating the West Coast Offense. Maybe I should retract my prior recommendation and suggest dropping out.