Superfood Nyc

mlproject

funny, I just finished eating my last taco from Pampano Tacqueria as I clicked on this thread. I skip the bean/rice extra and just get three tacos for lunch, camarones is my personal favorite.

for other lunch food in midtown www.midtownlunch.com is a pretty decent place to look for new spots to try out.

ha... i either go with rice/beans or the 3rd taco, depends how i feel. i think i'm gonna swing by right now.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ps - for anyone slaving 9-5's in midtown east, Pampano Tacos in the basement of the big building on 3rd ave b/t 49th & 50th has some unreal fish tacos... you can get 2 tacos, a drink, chips + salsa, rice + beans for less than 9 bucks.

that's kind of a haul from 50th and 6th, but i'm going to have to try that. cafe duke and all the other midtown places got old months ago. plus, the wait around here from noon-3 is absurd.

yeah my dad's friend's son owns chop't and it looks like he's doing well. people are out the door there all the time.

the line at chipotle is even worse... its 45 min easy once you're in the door and half the time its out the door down the block.

where are hing won and kati roll? i'm guessing asian, but what type?

But from 50th and 6th, you are relatively close to Hing Won and Kati Roll, I've been meaning to hit those spots up for a some time now...I can't believe some of my coworkers who gladly line up up to 30 minutes to get a fucking salad from Chop't or Just Salad - EVERY DAY

chop't happens to be delicious, the waits at e. 52nd st are 10 minutes at worst on busy days. whoever owns that place is making serious bank. 10 bucks+ for a salad?

For you midtown cats...

What you know about Margon on 46th btwn 7th and 6th for the cuban's?

Their steam table food is good enough, but a bit overpriced (reflecting the rising rent in that neck of the woods) but the cuban sandwiches are some of my favorite in the city, thin as hell when pressed, and greasy as all get out, but filling and delicious. One a those and a cup of their excellent cafe con leche used to set me right all the time when I was around and about up there...

yeah my dad's friend's son owns chop't and it looks like he's doing well. people are out the door there all the time.

the line at chipotle is even worse... its 45 min easy once you're in the door and half the time its out the door down the block.

where are hing won and kati roll? i'm guessing asian, but what type?

Hing Won - Chinese

http://midtownlunch.com/blog/2006/06/08/hing-won

Kati Roll - Indian

http://midtownlunch.com/blog/2006/06/29/kati-roll

I second cuban sandwich at Margon, shame it's bit of a walk from my way.

I love banh mi, but the closest one in midtown is still pretty far from me and the price is absolutely terrible

http://midtownlunch.com/blog/2007/05/23/boi-to-go-aka-how-i-learned-to-love-the-750-banh-mi/

Clinton Papaya - Clinton st. and Delancey st. Open late, just like the papaya spots around W 4th. Slushies, hot dogs, chilli fries, corn dogs, hot sausages, burgers, breakfast sandwhiches, nachos for 2.25 and a lot of other shit. Cheap.

Yeah man, the chili cheese burger and krinkle fries with ketchup and mustard for 4.75 at 23rd Street and 7th papaya always does me right on the "Under $5" tip.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Upper East Side: Fuckin' great Burmese food (it's like Chinese meets Indian and Thai). Cafe Mingala...I think it's 73rd Street and 2nd ave. Opened kinda late, large portions esp. if you're ordering in...always fucking delicious.

Al Forno's on 78th and 1st (I think) makes some damned good late night Italian...the wood oven pizza is bangin' (though pizza spots in nYC is a whole new thread).

Margon was my spot when I worked in Midtown. The fried chicken was delicious.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Momofuku yet. Personally I didn't go apeshit over it but it's so hyped these days it's inescapable.

Another spot I hit up recently and really loved was Resto, on 29th near Park South. Belgian food, but the cheeseburger was insane. It was a bit smaller, but I liked it that way cuz I didn't feel disgusting after eating it. They also had a crazy ass--but expensive--beer selection. Definitely worth checking out for sure.

One other place I was partial too back when I was living in NYC was El Centro on I think 9th and 54th. I absolutely loved the steak burrito, it was my sustenance for a good 4 months or so.

anyone know some good shit around 33rd and park? i just started working down there and the lunch stuff west of park toward herald square are all salad bars or sub-fucking-par

... or maybe a grocery store around there in murray hill?

if I worked around there I'd be going to koreatown alot. mandoo bar on 32nd, a few stores in from 5th for some quick, good eats. lots of bbq but that might be a bit much for lunch but there are other options. good korean fried chicken spot on 5th ave and 32nd...southwest side of the block...second floor...dont know the name but its tasty.....

if you are hungry, an all you can eat place called Todai..32nd between 5th and mad...not great but not bad for the pirce

Arang all you can eat korean/sushi for $10. 32nd between 5th and broad.

keep in mind i'm not down there during the day, these are all places i have been at night and I'm just assuming they are open during the day with the same deals.

and if you want to walk east a bit to 34th and 3rd, you have a bunch of "american" restaurants....patsy for decent brick oven pizza, jackson hole for diner/burger and carl cheese steaks for pretty good philly cheese steaks.

anyone know some good shit around 33rd and park? i just started working down there and the lunch stuff west of park toward herald square are all salad bars or sub-fucking-par

... or maybe a grocery store around there in murray hill?

speaking of joos.......didnt the new 2nd avenue deli just open up over there? like 33rd and lex? hmmmm pastrami on rye and a knish with a dr. browns cherry soda

and a bevy of rich, corny jewish girls.

why is that?

corny jewish broads from my college used to talk about that area a lot for some reason.

the female population at my college was like 80% corny jewish girls.

i dunno why but they treat you like shit if you are a nonjew + nonjock and they arent even hot to begin with.

why is that?

corny jewish broads from my college used to talk about that area a lot for some reason.

the female population at my college was like 80% corny jewish girls.

i dunno why but they treat you like shit if you are a nonjew + nonjock and they arent even hot to begin with.

they all live in murray hill. it's like the laws of physics, you can't break them.

jewish girls from the east coast graduate college and move to manhattan, somewhere between 1st ave and and lex, from 30th street to 41st. don't try to understand it, just accept it.

and yes, they all suck. but they're also stupid, sheepish, and generally not that attractive (even though they all think they're the hottest things on the planet) , so it doesn't really matter.

for further reading, please see http://ijc.typepad.com/

DUMBO/Brooklyn Heights Lunch Guide:

Spanish (in order of awesome):

Los Papi's

Bridge

Pedros

Pizza:

Front Street/Grimaldis (slice vs a pie)

Chinese:

Fortune House

Falafel:

... I think it's call falafel? Beside fortune house