Welcome to SuperFashion

Servo2000

I'll be your guide today on your trip through the wild and wonderful world of SuperFashion, so pull up your Rick Owen's skull throne, slide off your Dior Homme Cuban Heels and take a sip of your Gucci Tea from your Louis Vuitton mug and read a chapter of your favorite book.

Since you're here, that book would of course be High Fashion Sewing Secrets from the World's Best Designers: A Step-By-Step Guide to Sewing Stylish Seams, Buttonholes, Pockets, Collars, Hems, And More (Rodale Sewing Book).

In the coming weeks, I plan on introducing the Weekly Designer, Weekly Discussion series of threads, as well as cleaning up and giving definitive rules for tagging collections, posting threads and images, etc... in addition to a guideline to every reasonably successful designers with links to their websites, interviews, and other information.

In the meantime, feel free to post suggestions, complaints, and ideas in this thread. I will peruse it!

So please, enjoy your stay.

I think you can help this section quite a bit. I don't think most people know what Superfashion is here for, and end up posting Supershopper threads in here. Can you cut that down?

I can cut that down. I'm planning on creating a thread that defines what Superfashion is, to cut down on the sort of "Well it's about "Fashion" but belongs in Supershopper threads." I can also just move the misplaced threads out of here, since it's pretty apparent that most people still never read the rules.

It will take a few days for Superfashion to get on it's feet but it will get there.

That is a great idea. I personally still don't understand what truly belongs in here. I put Cassette Playa in shopper to be safe, and was very reluctant to put Jeremy Scott in fashion. Just because a brand conducts a show every season doesn't mean it belongs in fashion, I guess.

Thank you finally superfashion has a mod (let's make it official?)

I've just finished fixing every incorrect tag that I spotted on the cloud, and have created the new Rules for Tagging Threads. (edit: I meant as far as "ss07 / fw07" goes, if you see any mistakes in other tags let me know)

Figured it would be best to get this done as soon as possible, before the next round of Fashion Shows comes around.

Any suggestions / complaints / ideas?

You're right, it isn't (my mistake!), and that's why the threads are tagged "fw07" since the season begins in 2007 (fixed my post). Next year, for Fall/Winter 2008-2008, they will be tagged "fw08" since their seasons will begin in 2008.

hi servo2000

thanks. i am really glad to read this. i am beginning to think that if this is just for denim and its lovers (ok, pardon my nick...)

hope to read more stuff on margiela, carol christian poell and the likes in here. i love fashion although i cannot sew nor sketch.

thanks again.

The definitive guide to posting in Superfashion has just been stickied, as well as the first Designer of the Week thread. Discussion of the Week will begin next week along with the next Designer of the Week thread.

If you have any comments or concerns on the outline of posting here or the Designer / Discussion threads, let me know!

what is this stylezeigest?

Huh, I take it you mean it as a negative comment but aren't you glad somebody decided to clean up the place a little and promote a more content-heavy format?

It's not like this place is stopping us from using supershopper or the other parts of the forum...

I really hope that superfashion will be able to set itself apart through diversity. For example, StyleZeitGeist seems to be completely focused on Ann D, CCP, Rick Owens, and a few other "Goth-Ninja" designers. While I appreciate them, they're currently not really my thing as much as some other designers are. I think what's so great about this forum is that there are so many different styles represented, which leads to a diverse variety of inspiration.

Also,

Is the book mentioned in the OP good? I want to get into making some of my own stuff, but I don't have the time or money to study fashion/design at a school.

In general, any advice on books to help me get into this sort of thing would be appreciated. I have some ideas, some sketches, and my grandmother's sewing machine, but absolutely no knowledge or experience.

I really hope that superfashion will be able to set itself apart through diversity. For example, StyleZeitGeist seems to be completely focused on Ann D, CCP, Rick Owens, and a few other "Goth-Ninja" designers. While I appreciate them, they're currently not really my thing as much as some other designers are.

this is exactly why while i spend plenty of time lurking on SZ, i haven't contributed for months. i just feel like i have very little to contribute.

i feel that there's room for goth ninjas, nu-ravers, dandies, weirdos, traditionalists, etc. here.

Thus far, it appears that the D.O.T.W. thread has been a rousing success. I'm thinking it may be better to pick a slightly less-known designer, or at least post pictures next time.

I'm also going to open the floor here and let everyone know that, if you'd like to, you can write your own Designer of the Week thread and let me know and I can hook you up with a slot for the week. If you've shown a particular penchant for a manner of dress / a brand, I may PM you as well.

It can be on a designer you like or hate, on your experiences with their clothing, why you like them, a favorite collection, a "retrospective," whatever. In fact, the "D.O.T.W." is variable enough that if you'd like to discuss a certain type of garment, a type of fabric, we can break out some other topics as well. "Collection of The Week," whatever you come up with. A more fitting name would probably be "Fashion-Thing of the Week."

Same applies to the Weekly (or perhaps bi-weekly) Discussion threads. Something you've been wondering or thinking about? Let me know and I might make it into that Weeks topic.

The more you contribute, the more people come, the more people contribute. It's a win-win situation and +rep may be involved.

Shitty thing to do to miss the second designer of the week thread completely, but this week murdered me. In fact, this month is going to continue killing for like two weeks, so I would be next-to-permanently at your beck and call if two people could volunteer to write some Designer/Garment/Concept/Whatever of the Week threads.

Secondly, let's talk about the future of Superfashion and the "90% off Yoox Sales Thread." Now, to be honest, that's a SuperShopper thread, but it applies more to "High Fasion" since that's what most people look for on Superfashion. Should this forum be somewhat lenient and allow a "Stylezeitgeist" style outlook to a small degree, or is this strictly discussion? Your views would be appreciated.

IMO threads like the "90%..." should be in SuperShopper. I think there needs to be a clear and strict delineation so that you always know which forum to go to depending on the info/content your looking for.

This is my personal opinion and one that I'm very much in favour of, so unless there's an absolute outpouring of grief, that's how it's going to be.

Secondly, let's talk about the future of Superfashion and the "90% off Yoox Sales Thread." Now, to be honest, that's a SuperShopper thread, but it applies more to "High Fasion" since that's what most people look for on Superfashion. Should this forum be somewhat lenient and allow a "Stylezeitgeist" style outlook to a small degree, or is this strictly discussion? Your views would be appreciated.

I think my post in that thread made my views clear. So, yes, I think superfashion should just be discussion, no threads about selling or buying stuff, stores, finding stuff, sizing, etc.

I also feel that something like "single favorite article of clothing" should stay in superfashion, instead of being moved to superblurber, which is supposed to be:

let every other global shopping expert on the planet know about your upcoming event, ahrt exhibition, dee-jahing performance, catwalk appearance, karaoke night, orgy, or gucci garage sale... superpublic listings from bogota to vladivostok...

Also, is it just me or do other people overlook the sticky's too? I think it's already a reflex to ignore them, so I'm not sure as to how good of an idea it is to have the Designer of the Week thread stickied. I realize that it has practical purpose, but a lot of people won't notice it because of that... imo.

I also feel that something like "single favorite article of clothing" should stay in superfashion, instead of being moved to superblurber, which is supposed to be:

I moved that thread by mistake, but since I'm not the mod of Superblurber I can't move it back now. I was trying to move a thread somebody had put up looking for somebody for their store... frankly, I don't know what happened.

The stickies is an interesting point, Tiranis. I think instead I'll sticky a thread that is a link to all of the Designer of the Week / Discussion threads that we've had, so as to provide a means to find them once they fall off the main page if one so desires.

Huh, I take it you mean it as a negative comment but aren't you glad somebody decided to clean up the place a little and promote a more content-heavy format?

It's not like this place is stopping us from using supershopper or the other parts of the forum...

not even a negative. but it went from collections, to like "what kind of tux for prom" and "how to cut my hair", which doesn't really even belong in supershopper as well, but if you don't know what to wear to prom, god save you.