Battle of the 18oz denims -- PBJ vs Oni vs Eternals?

shinobi2000

Just read the Eternal 868 thread and my word, they are beautiful!!...but.. I fell in love with the PBJ A1 001s last fall, bought them, and damnit, I will stay faithful to them. I have touched and felt the Onis but obviously not these new Eternals. This is crazy, it seems like another heavy duty 18+ oz pair is popping up every month (remember the Kicking Mule ones recently?). I doubt I will get those Eternals but I am curious about how these three compare to each other. If, by some crazy stroke of luck, you're in a position to buy any one of these 3, how would you choose? what exactly are their individual perks? They all seem to be the same to me -- ridiculously slubby, super streaky, heavy weight denim. With the exception of the Eternals being synthetic dye, I dont know how else they differ. Personally, I still think my PBJs still have them beat in the vibrancy of the blue color but then again, I've never seen those Eternals in real life. Anybody have all 3?? P2G2? John?

I think someone may have both PBJ and the ONIs..... john?

My thoughts - I bought the 868, ive allways wanted some eternals so these seemed like a good option. Also these are the cheapest ( because they are synthetic indigo ) but this doesnt really bother me as I have my edo ais to tick that box.

I prefer the PBJ back pockets and stitching in general but the price and the fact I already own the 005 made me feel I didnt "need" the pbj AI-001.

Its been said that the shoais and the KMW were made by the same dude.

You get a free hanky with the eternals! Best value pair!

Its been said that the shoais and the KMW were made by the same dude.

its made by the same technique, not the same person. Awashoai is a name of the dying method originated in Awa city in Tokushima prefecture.

Awa = name of city in Tokushima prefecture

Shoai = natural indigo

i would personally go for the AI-001. the color on these is simply amazing in person.

I'm a slub fanatic and I have both the AI-001 and the Oni Shoai. Their fabric is quite identical but there are many differences that make the Shoai's tops for me. First, the Ai-001 is one wash while the Shoai is raw and although both are about 18oz heavy, the Shoai's fabric feels heavier. It also creates better creasing and the fit is just fabulous (I notice the difference even with the Blues eventhough they're supposed to be the same cut). The indigo that is in the process of being rubbed in the heel part just gets concentrated on certain parts creating a sort of cakey, sticky surface. As all natural indigo dyed jeans, it's hard to produce fading.

I'm a BS United fan and although the AI-001 are nice, very special jeans, the Shoais takes the cake in most departments. In fairness, I haven't really worn tha PBJ's that long to have a really good progress report on them bit fitwise the Oni's are also better.

I tried to get my hand on the 868s but they ran out of my size. If anything, I would like to find out how the dye's quality fair vs. natural indigo with the kind of slub it has.

Slubby denim are really interesting when it fades and all the jeans above are from me, the cream of the crop (I haven't seen the KMW though).

(I haven't seen the KMW though).

The Kicking Mules were kinda like the Onis. I did not do a side by side comparison but from what I remember of their look and feel, I would not have been able to tell them apart. Perhaps the Onis were a little thicker.

All these jeans (throw in the KMW AWA too) have as many similarities as they do have differences.

Let's try this approach:

Denim weight:

Eternal: 18oz

KMW: 17oz

Oni: 19oz

PBJ: 18.5oz

Dye

Eternal: synthetic indigo

KMW: natural indigo (hank dyed / 8 dips)

Oni: natural indigo (hank dyed / ? dips)

PBJ: natural indigo (hank dyed? / ? dips)

Wash

Eternal: raw

KMW: raw / sanforized

Oni: raw

PBJ: one wash

Cut

Eternal: straight cut / regular fit / 1 inseam length

KMW: straight cut / regular fit / 2 inseams available

Oni: straight cut / regular fit / 1 inseam length

PBJ: straight cut / regular fit / 1 inseam length

Please add to this list. Thanks!

PG2G, THOSE are your A1s??? Strange, the color doesn't look the same. What are your measurements (waist/height, weight) and what size did you get them in? Mine fit me in the ass rather tight and I have a flat ass!! The leg openings on mine feel wider too.

You mean the color doesn't look the same in the two pics? Probably because the first is in the shade and the thigh fading is less noticeable. Also note that these have been soaked twice and washed once or twice in the dryer, so that could help account for a difference in color from what you have (tho, I didn't really see much post-wash color change).

I'm around 165 pounds, 6 foot tall, and bought them in a 32, which is what I pretty much buy everything in nowadays (well, i got a 31 in my sorahikos). So yours seem tighter up top but looser down low or something?