Lost

broneck

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at the beginning Locke picks up a book called VALIS (by Philip K. Dick)

when i googled it i got: "VALIS is a 1981 science fiction novel by Philip K. Dick. The title is an acronym for Vast Active Living Intelligence System"

Island = VALIS?

iiiiinteresting...

also, i think something decisive about claire will happen, something like he has to choose between her and someone else, hence the apprehension? Who knows, lost fucks my mind, and i love it.

maybe onto something, maybe

i was watching this youtube vid that some guy made about episode 3 and he came up with a good theory, this guy basically paused key bits of the episode and do u remember when that guy got the ship 2 launch rockets but it took 30 mins longer to arrive?

the guy worked out with a calculation that the island must be moving quicker than the earths spin which is why no ne can find the island and y micheal had to stick t certain cooridinates..

So then I'm still thinking about the VALIS thing, i think the whole island is an intelligence system, what if it is moving on it's own so i can't be found and like disables aircraft as defense?

I think this is a strong possiblity!

maybe onto something, maybe

i was watching this youtube vid that some guy made about episode 3 and he came up with a good theory, this guy basically paused key bits of the episode and do u remember when that guy got the ship 2 launch rockets but it took 30 mins longer to arrive?

the guy worked out with a calculation that the island must be moving quicker than the earths spin which is why no ne can find the island and y micheal had to stick t certain cooridinates..

So then I'm still thinking about the VALIS thing, i think the whole island is an intelligence system, what if it is moving on it's own so i can't be found and like disables aircraft as defense?

I think this is a strong possiblity!

yeah, but no. if this were true the cable that connects the island to the underwater stations could never lie like that under the sand. If the island were to pull away from the station the cable would carry the station with it which would make it impossible for the cable to be under the sand like sayid found it in season 1.

juszsayin

i think, that a better reference to why the missile came later is the episode when sayid made the first radio they found receive signals other than rousseas message and said something about the frequencies. if i remember correctly he said that the signal could not be traced because it could have been bouncing in the air from anywhere, to which hurley replyed; or from anytime.

as to what kind of secret powers the island might hold id think more in the likes of space and time bending.

ah yes, true but you don't know with Lost, perhaps EVERYTHING under island is being carried with it, bah forget it..

also more stuff:

also another interesting part of the vid (it focues on episode 3) is that the theory of who is RG on the bracelets (the economist? ) and basically how it can be Richard, also how Elsa got the phonecall 31 minutes late perhaps indicating that it was a phonecall from the island. As he seems to be immortal, it could well be possible he gets into a feud with Ben or something.

The 31 minutes slow thing is really thoroughly examined in it, going back to season 1 when sayid said the compass wasnt pointing north but 7 degrees off, anyways fuck it, watch the vid it explains it much better:

v7ppaQa4-ac

Don't hold your breath. While they have two more season to reveal the entire enchilada, they won't. Ultimately, Lost is a character driven story line and they will somehow converge the cumulation of flashbacks and flashforwards into a focal point at the last season for a big open-ended reveal. It will probably giveaway enough for us to connect the dots but not certainly laid out for us to dissect.

They do want to exercise control over the finale of each character and make them worthwhile to the show. Many will be disappointed because they want answers... but be honest with yourself. We're not watching for the answers. If you are you probably already hate this series anyway.

we know why desmond was dishonorably discharged.

we know why minkowski stopped picking up the calls from the losties on the island.

we know why desmond never called penny and only wrote her from prison (only to have the letters intercepted by father)

faraday tells jack and juliet that "island time" is a little different than "off-island time"

sayid notes that the helicopter gang left the island at dusk but landed on the freighter -- located 40 miles away -- in the middle of the afternoon.

we need to know who destroyed the communciation equipment.

we need to know whats in that ledger that was being auctioned.

it seems like faraday's head went through a few too many tests without any protection while at oxford. might explain why hes so spacey while on the island.

yeah, but no. if this were true the cable that connects the island to the underwater stations could never lie like that under the sand. If the island were to pull away from the station the cable would carry the station with it which would make it impossible for the cable to be under the sand like sayid found it in season 1.

juszsayin

i think, that a better reference to why the missile came later is the episode when sayid made the first radio they found receive signals other than rousseas message and said something about the frequencies. if i remember correctly he said that the signal could not be traced because it could have been bouncing in the air from anywhere, to which hurley replyed; or from anytime.

as to what kind of secret powers the island might hold id think more in the likes of space and time bending.

fuck yeah, good episode, good good episode

So I was sort of right with my Primer reference. I recommend you guys check out that film, if you havent yet.

So I was sort of right with my Primer reference. I recommend you guys check out that film, if you havent yet.

Primer was really fucking good, but I'd put that a bit above and beyond Lost... it really threw me for a loop the first time around.

While I agree with most parts of what Mrip linked to, Lost is going to still function in the form of a question. It's thrived and survived off the cliffhanger, and in that sense, that speculation might be the clearest explanation we'll get (if that's what the writers are alluding to). The ending will be ambiguous if not at the apex of the revelation.

I could really see the the possibility of a flashback/flashforward convergence where the last episodes of the series will pit the Oceanic 6 against DHARMA and then parallel it with the real timeline where we'll learn the outcome of the whole story. Cool thing is they can flip it on us because it's open ended enough that they could opt to use their time travel 'device' to loop the story in a way that would blow our minds... kind of like in Primer.

But that's getting ahead of myself. I am really enjoying this season though, the pacing is much better and I bet it's because they finally set an end date and didn't get eaten up by the network execs to milk the cow.

Primer was really fucking good, but I'd put that a bit above and beyond Lost... it really threw me for a loop the first time around.

While I agree with most parts of what Mrip linked to, Lost is going to still function in the form of a question. It's thrived and survived off the cliffhanger, and in that sense, that speculation might be the clearest explanation we'll get (if that's what the writers are alluding to). The ending will be ambiguous if not at the apex of the revelation.

I could really see the the possibility of a flashback/flashforward convergence where the last episodes of the series will pit the Oceanic 6 against DHARMA and then parallel it with the real timeline where we'll learn the outcome of the whole story. Cool thing is they can flip it on us because it's open ended enough that they could opt to use their time travel 'device' to loop the story in a way that would blow our minds... kind of like in Primer.

But that's getting ahead of myself. I am really enjoying this season though, the pacing is much better and I bet it's because they finally set an end date and didn't get eaten up by the network execs to milk the cow.

I still sometimes get lost (lol) when I watch Primer. Particularly when I have to explain it to someone at the end because they didn't get it. Its hardly possible without a whiteboard and markers. Id be interested to know if there are any direct influences because its way too similar. I haven't scene many time machine/shows that use the "timed" time machine angle.

The change of pace and tone in this season is very much welcomed and sorely needed. When I first started watching the show I kept watching because I wanted to know the secret behind the island and how these people fit in. Two seasons later the character drama, slow developing story, and random tangents that could hardly be tied into the big picture to explain whats going on became annoying and I was just about to give up and find something better to watch on Thursday nights. I stopped watching towards the end of the first season. Didn't watch the second season until it was out on DVD and skipped the whole middle section of season 3. The finale ended on a great note though so I gave season 4 a shot and it just keeps getting better.

If I remember correctly, Steve Buschemi said on one of the Directors Commentary tracks for The Sopranos, that he wanted his episodes to feel like an hour long movie. Lost is starting to feel like that more and more. As long as they keep this up and dont pull a Sopranos type ending, Im more than happy to veg out for an hour every week for the next few years and let the story unfold.

Are those fan sites that attempt to explain the story accurate? I don't read them because I don't trust them, but its been 4 seasons so I figure the BS sites have probably been weeded out by now