MacBook.

MAC SMALLS

Guest Goose25
Upgraded to Leopard about a week ago on my g5 imac and really wish I hadn't. I've had problems with itunes, ichat, dashboard, etc all quitting unexpectedly. Not sure what the problem is.

1.25gb ram doesnt seem to be enough either. Going to be maxing it out to 2gb soon.

Sounds like a real problem - do the upgrade/fix: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306907

If you are still having problems keep checking daily for upgrades

Also keep checking this: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

wow all these complaints. Looks like apple is turning to shit. My iPod is all fucked up now and my iPhone acts up slightly at times

No. Market share has gone up so there has been many transplants who are haphazardly doing shit without prior knowledge.

A lot of stuff has been typical of gold master releases, but the incremental updates usually address the major issues. Tiger was the same way but of course no one remembers that.

Not if you archive and install or clean install.

The major issue was people installing a third party software called "application enhancer" that fucked with the sys prefs. Sys prefs were modified in Leopard so when application enhancer is still present it goes apeshit and you can't get past the login screen. That's the big one that I know of. Otherwise there might be other minor hiccups.

I want my next laptop to be a mac but I need to know if there is a lingo translator from of words etcused in pc talk to the mac versions. Also will I have to do updates and these little downloads if I buy a MacBook book with Leo on it already?

Switch 101: Windows vs. Mac Navigation

Switch 101: On Windows, I used to...

you should be fine. the os is logically laid out and once you get more into it you'll find yourself using more 'advanced' features (expose, maybe spaces, etc..) and wondering how you used to live without them. i got my mom to switch to a mac a month ago and she loves it / hasn't really had any problems adjusting, so anybody should be able to.

about updates - you'll probably have software updates to run (10.5.1, quicktime, etc) because they're not going to unbox and update already shipped computers but they're really not a big deal. just start the update and keep using your computer until you need to restart (because for bigger ones like 10.5.1 you will have to restart).

• 2 weeks later...

I have a shitload of problems with my macbook pro touchpad. sometimes moving the cursor around gets really choppy, and sometimes it doesn't move at all. However, 2-finger scrolling keeps working, so do external mice :confused:

a reboot always fixes it, but its fucking annoying. i havent been able to tie it to a particular program, it just seems to begin randomly.

also, what program can view animated gifs that doesnt suck?

I have a shitload of problems with my macbook pro touchpad. sometimes moving the cursor around gets really choppy, and sometimes it doesn't move at all. However, 2-finger scrolling keeps working, so do external mice :confused:

a reboot always fixes it, but its fucking annoying. i havent been able to tie it to a particular program, it just seems to begin randomly.

also, what program can view animated gifs that doesnt suck?

Did you download the update from Apple?

i have a macbook pro, and i like it. somehow when i bought it, it didn't come with enough ram (came standard 256! and this was just last september) but i upgraded.

the only problems i've had are battery, heat and bootcamp. i have bootcamp installed for autocad purposes. my school standardly installed vista during the bootcamp set ups, but on macbook pros made more than 6 months ago or something, you cannot have autocad/vista/bootcamp. so i had to downgrade to XP, either way - i'm glad. vista blows.

Guest Goose25
i use a macbook, but dont use a cooler, sometimes it can get hot when a lot of programs are running, but for the most part, it hasnt been getting too hot.

I find the mac gets hot during the middle of the day mostly so I will keep some towels in the freezer and when it gets too hot sit the mac on one - it's not often I need to do this but it helps when travelling and staying/working from hotels etc.

Something I own since 1 year and that is worth the few bucks put in:

http://www.bluelounge.com/coolfeet.php

BL_Coolfeet_STR03.jpg

(sorry if someone already talked about it here). Keeps your macbook/pro elevated so that the air flow could do his job, and when used on lap, keeps us away from heat (and sterility).

With a with macbook you barely see it, but well, with the black one... they should have made a black version of it. There are solutions that are far more ridiculous than this one to elevate your macbook.

A quick question. I was looking at memory upgrades as I only have 1 GB (2 x 512) and through Apple, they don't sell 4 GB upgrades, only 2 GB upgrades for $300. I went over to Crucial and they sell 4 GB for $119.98.

Obviously, I want to go through Crucial but I am wondering why there is such a steep price difference and if I have Applecare, how can I get it installed as to not invalidate my Apple Care? And how much would that cost?

I'm not sure if this information is pertinent, but Crucial says my system is: "MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch White) MB061LL/B Laptop/Notebook."

The only thing (I think) you need to know is that you need PC2-5300 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM.

Apple RAM upgrade is overpriced, it's only worth it if you choose during the order of the computer.

Changing ram will not invalidate your Apple Care, you just need a small crosshead screwdriver, and pull a trigger to release the ram you want to change, and replace it with the new one. Of course, if you have any problem with your macbook, send it with the original ram.

• 5 months later...

hey guys i have a question about the macbook battery. I've had my macbook for exactly 2 years now and the battery only lasts for about 20 min. it used to last for hours when i first got it.

are there any replacement batteries that are reliable and have higher capacity than the original macbook battery? the system profiler says that my battery has a capacity of 1555mAh, but i see macbook batteries on ebay that have 5000+ mAh. should i get one of those?

If the macbook battery is 1600 mAh, I don't really think they could create 5600mAh batteries of the same size.

my battery died because i didn't plug it in like 3 month, totally forgot about it. Is there a way to reverse this ?

also, it inflates when attached to the macbook (though not working), will apple replace it for that if i cry on the phone with them saying that could burn my house ? (no more warrantied).

hey guys i have a question about the macbook battery. I've had my macbook for exactly 2 years now and the battery only lasts for about 20 min. it used to last for hours when i first got it.

are there any replacement batteries that are reliable and have higher capacity than the original macbook battery? the system profiler says that my battery has a capacity of 1555mAh, but i see macbook batteries on ebay that have 5000+ mAh. should i get one of those?

Are new batteries not covered under Applecare?

Guest shuka
Are new batteries not covered under Applecare?

For the first year or so, I believe. After that you're fucked. Conveniently, that's when your battery goes to shit too

If the macbook battery is 1600 mAh, I don't really think they could create 5600mAh batteries of the same size.

my battery died because i didn't plug it in like 3 month, totally forgot about it. Is there a way to reverse this ?

also, it inflates when attached to the macbook (though not working), will apple replace it for that if i cry on the phone with them saying that could burn my house ? (no more warrantied).

1600mAh is after usage. Around 5000mAh is on a new battery.