Nudie Re-tread

pinotenvy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DenimBar1

To set the record straight. I am the ONLY store in the United States to carry traight sven dry selvage. I had 8 pair and only 1,300 where made in the world. They are made in Sweden on old swedish shuttle looms. The fabrication is much different than that of the RR.

Nudies prices went up because of a distributer. The Want gency in Canada reps and sells Nudie to all of North America.

Guest DenimBar1

Now you guys are mixing things up the cotton comes from Italy or Japan but the fabric is made in Sweden on old shuttles looms. Now I am getting my my info directly from Nudie. I will call again and set the record straight.

The reason this being made in Sweden thing is so HUGE is because Sweden hasn't produced a pair of jeans in like 50+ years. The Sweds love their jeans !!!!

Thanks for the clarification. I had always thought the Svens were sewn in Sweden, but the denim was outsourced.

It's a little strange though, as even Italian and Japanese denim mills import their cotton for weaving. (Italy and Japan are not well known as cotton growing countries).

Presumably, if they were doing the weaving in Sweden, they would also do the spinning, dyeing and finishing there also? Which would mean, as well as having shuttle looms, they would need ring spinning machines and indigo dyeing capabilities. That's a big set up for such a low quantity of garments.

Or are they buying in dyed indigo yarn from Italy and Japan?

*edited for typo

Edited by ringring on Jun 23, 2005 at 06:07 AM

Guest DenimBar1

From what I am told most the dry denim is from japan. The veggie is just from japan. There's a whole big to do over natural indigo. They do use italian denim for sure. The Japanenes and the italians for the most part have the technology to crush other fabric makers. Though CA is doing a great job with the wash houses they have.

If you have a specific question I will be more than happy to call Nudie or whom ever and get you the facts.

I think it's just unclear if 'cotton from Japan' means raw bales of Japanese grown cotton or just cotton yarn that is spun in Japan (using cotton from other countries such as US, Zimbabwe, China, Pakistan, Egypt etc).

So is the spinning done in Sweden or Japan?

Is the indigo dyeing done in Sweden or Japan?

Either way, if the denim is actually woven in Sweden that makes them very interesting. icon_smile_big.gif

Guest DenimBar1

you both are correct Africa , Australia , central America, and the middle East have the best cotton. The cotton bush's yeild larger cotton balls and the longer the strand of cotton the stronger and better the cotton is.

I am kinda puzzeled myself about the whole situation.

For example Prps uses africa cotton but made in Japan.

Nudie is very straight forward with their product hell they send you a book on denim when you buy their jean.

Guest DenimBar1

ring ring the dye is not real indigo . It's unclear to me if the cotton was grown in Japan.

Now this is what the box says and I quote

"We want to pay tribute to swedish jeans manufacturing, by producing this first time limited edition of straight sven in sweden. The factory in the small village of Hokerum carries on a tradition that goes back to the late 50's. We are proud to present the result. Straight Sven is a straight fit in Italian dry selvage denim. The limited edition is recognized by the swedish flag stitched to the waist band. Each pair come siwth a bool about swedish jeans history.

Now is everyone confused or just me?

traight Sven is a straight fit in Italian dry selvage denim.

Now that, to me at least, sounds like they are sewn in Hokerum using Italian denim.

BTW - I presume they are real indigo dyed (rather than sulphur dyed), but probably not natural plant indigo.

Thanks for posting the box info.

that exact same on the box; is also stated on their website about the svens...

they are not real (veggie) indigo dyed. only the veggies are dyed in natural indigo. (the website even states the used plant- i forgot)

so the only special thing about these jeans in contrary to other nudies is the fact that they are sewn in sweden? right?

cause they are of italian denim, too. and nudie also has other selvedge models.

• 1 month later...
Quote:

To set the record straight. I am the ONLY store in the United States to carry traight sven dry selvage. I had 8 pair and only 1,300 where made in the world. They are made in Sweden on old swedish shuttle looms. The fabrication is much different than that of the RR.

Nudies prices went up because of a distributer. The Want gency in Canada reps and sells Nudie to all of North America.

--- Original message by DenimBar1 on Jun 22, 2005 03:53 PM

no, they're sewn in sweden but the denim is from italy(remember Italy from the same page where I read this, not sure what italy had to do with it tho) or japan.

Nudie pretty much bores me, because I'm from Sweden, but I liked them when they were new, I was the first one in my town with a pair for about a year(!).

tally-hoo

I think most Nudies are made in Italy of Italian denim. There may be some exceptions, like the limitied edition Sven which DenimBar mentions, or one line (Baggy Bjorn?) using Japanese denim (but still manufactured in Italy). Every pair of Nudies I've actually handled says 'Made in Italy' somewhere on it.

Nothing wrong with that, of course. But the marketing machine tends to make a lot of the Swedish origins, where they are probably designed. Just like Evisu are 'Japanese' but most of the ones you see on the shelves (outside Japan) are actually made in Italy also.

In the production of jeans there are four different aspects which have to some extent been confused in the preceding discussion:

1) where the cotton is grown

2) where it is spun, dyed, and woven into denim

3) where the jeans are sewn/manufactured

4) where the jeans are designed

Where the cotton is actually grown is a bit of canard. Most cotton used in denim manufacture comes from the US, Africa, or India. Cotton from Zimbabwe, being very long-staple, is particulary known for its quality. I can tell you that no cotton is actually grown on any scale in Japan or Italy.

The spinning, dying and weaving of cotton into denim is done on a large scale in China, India, Italy, the US, and Japan. Italy is the biggest textile producer in Europe.

Experts like ringring can tell you where the main manufacture centres are...

People get carried away with exotic claims of small-scale production by masters bent over shuttle looms, their hands stained purple from indigo, stitching it all together with Union Special machines. But a lot of this is marketing hype and almost impossible to verify.

Denimbar,

That's funny dude, only guy that has limited SSven in USA huh? There are like 3 stores in Toronto alone that carry them, guess we're spoiled bastards icon_smile_cool.gif

To further add to the confusion, there are also 2 types of Nudies straight svens kicking around. One is supposedly the original run which have the swedish flag sewn into the inside waist band -I would assume this is the one which is presumably manufactured in the small swedish town famous for denim- and the other is the regular (later) run which is missing the flag. Not sure if that helps any.

Edited by Circa on Aug 3, 2005 at 10:27 PM

I was trying to source selvage denim, got hold of a guy at "italdenim" in italy and he said nudie uses some of their selvage?

Edited by andewhall on Aug 3, 2005 at 11:16 PM