Uniqlo UT Project

onemancult

From Hypebeast:

"The origins of the t-shirt are sketchy at best, but regardless there aren’t many pieces of clothing that have the ability to transcend economic barriers and make themselves available to all social classes, be at the focal point of slogans and messages, and perhaps most important keep you comfortably and cool whenever you throw one on. Japanese brand for the masses, Uniqlo recognize the importance of t-shirts and have based their latest “UT Project” behind this notion. The UT Project (UT refers to Uniqlo T-shirt) will fashion itself as a new concept store that will revolutionize itself as a way to buy t-shirts for the future, and at the bottom of all this is creator Kashiwa Sato. Each t-shirt will be housed in a transparent cannister (think tennis ball cannisters) each displayed along numerous shelves. 5000 square feet over 4 floors (1 being a gallery floor) will be dedicated solely to one of the most basic of basics in everybody’s wardrobe. When you step foot into the UT Project, you are effectively stepping foot in what can only be described as a temple of t-shirts.

But what is a grand opening without special goodies? Uniqlo has assembled an all-star cast of designers that include Terry Richardson, Nobuyoshi Araki, Kai Khüne, Bjorn Copeland of Black Dice, Kim Jones, Peter Saville, Gareth Pugh, Solve Sundsbo and many more to create some special grand opening tee’s. As many as 1000 different designs are expected to roll in and out of the UT Project. The t-shirt does not discriminate and in doing so, Uniqlo has made note of it to ask the services of designers from all facets and walks of life to create t-shirts that will cater to the self-expression and individuality of all it’s customers. Many of the tee’s featured through UT Project have all become available at Uniqlo stores worldwide.

If all this information is overwhelming, it doesn’t stop there. Famed photographer Terry Richardson has been called upon to document a series of photo’s of personalities wearing their favorite Uniqlo shirts. These personalities include model Missy Rayder, actor Michael Pitt, musician Alison Mosshart, and Japanese photographer Keiichi Nitta as well as some up and coming artists from the New York area. Ironically these artists were scouted through what some call one of the truest forms of expression, MySpace. These assortment of photo’s will be forever captured in print through the release of a limited edition hard cover book to be sold throughout Uniqlo’s starting in mid-May.

With the Japanese so keen on selling many different products through vending machines, perhaps in the near future Uniqlo tee’s will be available for purchase through vending machines in the near future."

A. if they don't bring some of the tees, at the very least, to the US, i will actually go on a killing spree inside of Uniqlo.

B. this is really, really fucking cool.

C. ut.uniqlo.com

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a bunch of new t-shirts on the uniqlo us website but none of the look like these. I already got a bunch of the graphic t-shirts when uniqlo first opened and I have so many I've been wearing them as undershirts. I still wouldn't mind getting few of the new designs. I'll go to the nyc store on Friday and report back.

The Japonaise listened to my wishes:

"Don’t be disappointed if you’re not in Harajuku, Tokyo, the t-shirts will be available at the UT store and UNIQLO stores worldwide with nearly 100 new styles being introduced to the New York global flagship store each month."

Yes. Now, sell the book here too, and I will be happy.

uhh i'm not sure if it really was the uniqlo UT stuff, but from what i saw today (the supposed release date) there was almost nothing new (lots and lots of rehashed designs from when uniqlo soho first opened). what was new sucked, so i shouldn't even mention it.

it didn't even come in those weird containers.

again, i could be wrong, but according to the uniqlo catalog that they were giving out, that was the UT stuff.

maybe it'll improve? :confused:

you guys overglorify uniqlo

i personally think this is impossible.

their denim really is amazing for the price, and their basics are excellent.

similar to any other large retailer, not every item is a hit with every demographic- they need to cover a wide range of bases. from what i've heard from athletes, their sportswear items perform just as good as higher end items without costing as much.

their dressier items seem nice, and are of good quality.

i really can't find anything negative about the store, except that their stock doesnt seem to rotate as quickly as one would expect.