Taking Summer Courses @ Hong Kong University

home

Going to bump this thead.

Have been offered a position of exchange at The University of Hong Kong in the Autumn semester of this year, studying architecture.

Just looking for anybody's experience with UHK (is this abbreviation correct?), in particular experiences with exchange there, how well international students (outside of Asia and non Chinese speaking) are looked after, the architecture school in particular, colleges/on campus accommodation or anything else of interest.

Being Australian (beer here, sausage there) I'm guessing I'll need to work my arse off in order to keep up with the domestic students - am I right?

Also, kinda weird question, but being caucasian, blonde and tall, am I going to look/feel super out of place, or do they get many internationals from the US/Europe/etc?

^ HK would be easy goings for you, I think.

Haha Herp-

True, I have a girlfriend but Korean girls drive you crazy. FUCKING crazy.

It'd be a good excuse to break up...TEHE

It's been a year since you posted this so it may be old news for you, but if Korean girls drive you crazy, HK girls are gonna drive you crazier.

• 3 months later...

many (hot) caucasion chicks kicking about HK?

couldnt believe how many were to be found in tokyo when i was there a few years ago. most model quality too. fuck, they probably were models.

if you're considering summer university in hong kong for no particular reason, id say just go all the way and do it in mainland china.

Tuition will be cheaper, living and food will be much cheaper, and if you can get into a university with some prestige (which isnt all that difficult for foreign students) that a lot of major multinationals work with, like tsinghua, that's always good

• 2 weeks later...
study abroad programs are magnets for fat ugly bitches.

dang. thought as much.

anyway, back onto HKU. i have to now apply for accommodation for the semester.

ideally, i'd like to be on campus or very near to it, have at least a meal a day catered for, and the opportunity to liaise with other international/exchange students (i imagine interaction with local students is a given).

are the halls of residence my best option? there are a fair few of them, can anyone recommend one or two in particular for an australian exchange student like me? also notice most/all say the rooms are twin-share, is there any scope to get a single room?

any help is appreciated, bit out of my depth here..

Why would you want to eat cafeteria/resi hall food in Hong Kong, of all places? If you're on superfuture, I would guess that you can afford the extra $1US or so it costs to upgrade to hawker food...

Why would you want to eat cafeteria/resi hall food in Hong Kong, of all places? If you're on superfuture, I would guess that you can afford the extra $1US or so it costs to upgrade to hawker food...

yeah, look i dont really care. more about convenience than anything. if foood is too hard for me to get (ie. me cook), i just dont eat.

what are my options outside of resi halls? all their websites keep talking about hall spirit and pride and team work, etc... fuck that.

i did notice that the other 'cedars' flats (self contained) are already booked out..

what should i do. i dont really care for spirit and team work. i care about me. plus guys/girls on res looked like fair gimps in the photos.

The 'i care about me' bit makes you sound like the ideal candidate for study abroad/expat life. School websites will show all that group activity nonsense, but when you get to wherever you're going, you will realize everybody is there to get easy credits and get their pecker wet, away from home.

HK is like the wonderland of fast and cheap food, you won't go hungry, trust. School cafeterias in Asia exist to feed those ultra-studious students who have like $1 per meal budgets and can't afford cut into their study time to step away from campus and get real lunches.

theres shitloads of soup noodle, chinese chop shop over rice, rice casserole, congee joints everywhere for under 5 bucks american and thats including a can of coke

• 2 weeks later...

forget the university girls they're all prudes who want to be "friends" before they go any further with you...i have quite a few friends who came outta there and this is my impression of the college scene here. Unless you are referring to "Woon gau" where students hook up in exchange for gifts and money to buy LV, a trend that's pretty big on HK forums where you will see ads posted up for this kinda service.

my motto is go to macau and get a model for the job, as rick ross would say

Since when did university is for picking up ladies...more like u go to uni to study while ur stay u go out and pimp. Dont eat and shit in the same placeee matey..!! just kidding.

Korean girl aint that bad, they're heaps nice but if u go out cheat I am sure they go crazy like everyother girl.

mmmmh....Its going to be soo hot in HK, I am visiting there from mid of june to August i think I am going to melt. :S

if you're considering summer university in hong kong for no particular reason, id say just go all the way and do it in mainland china.

Tuition will be cheaper, living and food will be much cheaper, and if you can get into a university with some prestige (which isnt all that difficult for foreign students) that a lot of major multinationals work with, like tsinghua, that's always good

Indeed everything is cheap and easy but u get food poison/death much quicker.

forget the university girls they're all prudes who want to be "friends" before they go any further with you...i have quite a few friends who came outta there and this is my impression of the college scene here. Unless you are referring to "Woon gau" where students hook up in exchange for gifts and money to buy LV, a trend that's pretty big on HK forums where you will see ads posted up for this kinda service.

my motto is go to macau and get a model for the job, as rick ross would say

ever tried it? link to forums? lol