TORONTO Meetup

axtsang

k, for reelsies, whos all gonna be in town aug 4th, 5th, 6th. theres like 80 niggas i need to see and catch up with. i dont have anywhere to throw a party so can we all agree to meet for drinks one night and get retarded?

i will be there on the 5th, the wednesday, cuz thats all i can hack. unless i have an exam the next day

syd's. my last pair looked almost new from the outside post-fix.

that's the place in Scarborough, right?

and Homi - that's my exact reason i'm not goin to the local spot

I'm moving to TO from Vancouver on wednesday, going to live in Parkdale, starting my MA at York in the fall. I need help, people. Never even been to the city before. Where do I go? The only shop I know is Nomad. No idea where to drink/eat/get coffee/see music. Can you guys give me a leg up?

Parkdale? nice. where exactly? mostly tibetan people now, they're alright, they leave you alone. used to be mainly filipino like 10 years ago. not as good as it used to be.

good life on queen street is the only chinese food you should be eating when you're in parkdale.

ackee tree, ritz or the real jerk for west indian food.

tokyo grill on yonge and wellesely for japanese food that isnt sushi.

some toronto sufu'ers dj at a couple bars, always a brotastic time, ALWAYS.

sydney's, tnt blu, uncle otis, delphic, jonathan + olivia, carte blanche, klaxon howl for shops.

and theres a garbage strike right now.

that's the place in Scarborough, right?

no its at queen and bathurst. sydney does a really good job and he really knows his shit, but he takes a really long time to do something. took him 3 weeks to hem and chainstitch a pair for me.

i'd go with studio kim at king and bathurst if you want something done fast, but she doesn't chainstitch.

I'm moving to TO from Vancouver on wednesday, going to live in Parkdale, starting my MA at York in the fall. I need help, people. Never even been to the city before. Where do I go? The only shop I know is Nomad. No idea where to drink/eat/get coffee/see music. Can you guys give me a leg up?

meet sean and halifamous, hocus, juby and gfunk... life will get easy after that.

what kinda job you gonna be looking for when you land? rotate this is torontos zulu but rotate clerks have even MORE haterade and disdain for their customers taste.

to replace belmont, go to blood & bandages for cuts. college/dovercourt. 7 minute bike ride form parkdale. for coffee go to the common, also on college but a little west of dovercourt. for drinks, stay on ossington for a little while cause its a smaller crowd and faces will become familiar pretty fast.

for cheap food, kensington is the best until it gets cold out. chicarones, papusas and all that goodness can be had by the bagful for less than $5.

shoot me your number again and ill call you when im home in aug and ill show you around if youd like.

i remember soem of your vancity suggestions making my trip here last summer pretty fun, and then i moved here and hang out at those spots all the time. would like to return the favour.

Sweaty Betty's definitely lives up to its name

cause it gets nasty in there cause of the number of ppl x how tiny it is

but agreed, its a good place

They opened up a Cold Stone Creamery inside the Tim Horton's in Pickering. Shit is fucking amazing. Apparently there is also one in Toronto somewhere, but I'm not sure of the exact location.

so nesk you're home this week, right? any plans for any of you guys to be out on the town thursday? my work party is that night so I'll be drunk, overdressed and right downtown that night if anyone else is around

saelan, what do you want to do for work? retail?

Probably. Either that or some kind of gallery/publishing job, tho I imagine the only part-time available in that line is unpaid internships. I might see if I can score a gig with Now or Eye. I talked to the guys at Rotate This and they were surprisingly encouraging, but if it's going to be retail I'd actually prefer a bookstore. I've found that people are less pretentious about their reading habits, oddly enough.

That said, anywhere where I could get a discount on clothes that I want to buy would be great. I'd consider serving, but I have no experience, and I don't want to have to do time as a busboy or dishpig. I found out this morning that I'm getting a part-time assistantship at York, but it'll only be a few hours a week, so I still want to supplement it.

Dolly: I'll probably be around. I have plenty of time on my hands. Whereabouts are you partying?

Anyone been to last call recently?

Last time I was there was about a month ago, want to know if new mens stock has arrived, sadly the odd time that I get an answer on the phone the SA's are no help anyway, they just say "oh we get stuff all the time"

btw- I'm looking for boots, pants and jackets.