G-Star questions...

snapcult

Quote:

In this thread you will tell me everything you know about G-Star jeans and the company in general.

Thanks,

Snapcult

--- Original message by snapcult on May 29, 2005 08:17 PM

Big, Dutch jeans company, started in '89. Most of the jeans I've seen have been made in India or in China.

The denim and washes are OK, if not particularly remarkable. G-Star's selling point is more focused on the cut of their jeans rather than the denim or wash per se.

Unlike many jeans brands who seem to content themselves with rehashing 50s-70s americana, G-Star's look is more futuristic - embodied by the new collaboration with Marc Newson.

There's some company blurb on their website http://www.g-star.com

"Lol. Lemme guess, ur a white frat kid from the midwest/texas who think Diesel is the best thing since "distressed jeans"...."

-Not at all, I was a punk skater who could never even wear a fucking white baseball hat let alone pay to have friends... I was asking the question because I'm more into Levis but I have an interview to work for G-Star, I used to sell them at a shop in SF but that was two years ago and I'm sure they have done some new stuff since then...

-Lol. Lemme guess, you're a internet nerd who gets off on seeing his reply in every thread even though he really has nothing to say, interwimp get a life.

g-starr is not garbage, well a few washes are but some are pretty ok, but the problem is that now in holland where i live, like everyone walks in g-starr jeans and that's the worst thing that can happen, only people who don't have style buy them now, cause everyone owns a pair, that's the bad thing, the jeans aren't that bad

icon_smile_cool.gif RJ-cocaina de pablo Escobar

g-star started out with raw denim. the ' GSRD 3301' that they use on their pieces refers to the number of the denim that was used for their first raw denim that broke into the mainstream. their best selling pant in north america is the 'ruger straight' (slim with slouchy back pockets), while the best selling gstar pant in europe is still the 'radar low loose'

G-star's stuff is on a very industrial looking tip. If you ever peep one of their catalogs/lookbooks you'll see that even their ad campaigns cultivate the whole industrial/dock worker look. Jeans are okay but they do better jackets and cargos IMO. Only problem is they're a little TOO logo happy (and that's a bit of an understatement) but other than that decent.

They got a nice shop next to Supreme. How it stays in business though is beyond me since it's always dead. For the hell of it, i called the number on the lease sign of the (now empty) DJ Honda shop and they were asking for $22k a month rent. If it's priced by the square foot, G Star has to be triple that.

the next time i have to talk to you, you wont be alive enough to hear it

• 2 weeks later...

G-star is known for making characteristic clothing. either you love it or hate it.

I have a pair of jeans, manufactered by G-star clothing which is very special compared with e.g. Levi's or Diesel.

Zipper's place unpredictable places and patches etc. But as I just said, love it or hate it =)

blame my age - everyone else does!

i am an adamant fan of g-star... and honestly, grow up: if something is becoming more mainstream that doesn.t make it any "less cool" -- if you like the denim you like the denim. Their washes are characteristically more "industrial"; more slatey and stoney... their cuts also tend to be straight legged, a little sag but not particularly low on the hips, and they make a great cuff. if you want something besides the millions of 501xx repros out there (which i.m sure you do) g-star wouldn.t be a bad place to look.

Some call it being conceited, I call it seeing the truth.

I also like G-Star Jeans. They always have nice washes and nice cuts too. They also make great jackets. And I could not agree more with OhSoStylish. Mainstream does not make something worse. It`s still the same designers behind it and same material, so don`t make such a big deal, just because you are now wearing something that a lot of people know.

www.highsnobiety.blogspot.com

I don't know, maybe I'm being too hard on G-star, but the line is just plain redundant to me. Always the same color pallette-- Gray, light gray and more gray. Quality is not a word I associate with this brand either. It's just more disposable fashion that you wear for a season and toss in the goodwill bag. I will say this, though, they have remained consistant. While trends have come and gone they have stayed their course and remained true to their vision, which is a true rarity in this day and age. With the mainstream focus being on more military inspired stuff this next season, I suspect the company will be doing a little better this fall.

Quality over quantity

• 4 months later...

i didn't mean to say that there quality is worse now that there mainstream, i said i kinda like some of their stuff, i don't even own anything anymore, i never liked it a lot so i never wore it much, and with it becoming mainstream i meant to say that it is associated with sheep nowadays in utrecht where i live, only people who don't know what to buy buy g-starr because 'everyone is wearing it' and that's not a good thing.....

''I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm/i'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb/I am the world's forgotten boy/The one who searches and destroys''...James Jewel Osterberg