Evisu NYC sneak preview

holotekor

Japanese Evisu, bespoke denim, and Blank-pockets oh my!

courtesy of coolhunting--

Long overdue, Osaka-based Evisu will be opening their very first North American shop this summer in New York City. Located in the Soho, the shop will also serve as a global brand showcase premiering lines from the international collections previously not released stateside. Evisu's large base of discerning denim junkies will be able to purchase vintage loom made couture, ready to wear and bespoke lines of the denim and other apparel.

The space, designed by UK-based interior design company 19 Limited in collaboration with the New York-based architect Tuller McNealus Feld, will provide in-store demonstrations of hand painting their signature stylized gull on jeans giving customers the opportunity to buy personalized pairs. Evisu will also use the store to exhibit the brand's Japanese heritage by supporting artists from across Asia through in-store exhibitions. Leading off will be Hong Kong-based artist Simon Birch with his large scale oil paintings. There are also plans to include a cinema area to screen Japanese films.

Evisu

92 Greene St.

New York, NY 10012 map

evisu-nyc1.jpg

source: http://www.coolhunting.com/archives/2007/04/evisu_first_sto.php

I think it'll be sweet that you can finally get a personalized pair with your own colored gulls on the back pockets, hopefully you can pick the cut of your denim too so they wont be such a horrible fit.If not you can just walk down to BiG like 40ozprophet said.

Evisu will also use the store to exhibit the brand's Japanese heritage by supporting artists from across Asia through in-store exhibitions. Leading off will be Hong Kong-based artist Simon Birch with his large scale oil paintings. There are also plans to include a cinema area to screen Japanese films.

this is pretty cool. what sort of films are going to be screened?

some of my favourite stores here in singapore have exhibition areas in addition to retail space, and often the art is an enjoyable add to the store experience.

hey tweeds,

evisu will work with the japan foundation to be screening new films, but what i am most excited about is working with different people to curate the space creating an amazing events calendar. this will be films/music/art/installations/performances and so much more.

hopefully the store is much alike the quality and focus as those in japan, as opposed to a vessel for what evisu is somewhat represented as now in american mainstream(hiphop blatant gaudiness, etc)

getting a pair of high quality well cut japanese style evis with some subtle painting on them of my own custom choice done right before my eyes would be amazing

• 4 months later...

i've never seen an evisu store in japan but its style seems very similar to evisu saburo in London!

• 3 months later...

From Shophound...

"Any denim queens waiting breathlessly for Japanese cult label Evisu to finally open their Greene Street flagship store will have to wait a bit longer...like, until never.

While the brand's imagery remains in the window, a "for rent" sign has also been added to 93 Greene Street, and neighboring retailers have confirmed that the label has scrapped its elaborate plans or the site. Since it was intended to open last April, it's not a huge surprise, but stores have been known to delay openings by a season or more to get things just right, especially in New York. This location was meant to be the first of many, but for now, we cross Evisu off our list of upcoming openings."

http://www.theshophound.typepad.com//the_shophound/2007/11/evisu-soho-a-no.html

Good for BIG, sucks for everyone else. It's prospective opening was part of the reason I held off from buying a pair of 2000's while at Evisu, Daikanyama.

got some news...

it is true about the store. they want to focus on the wholesale buisness and building a srong foundation in the us...

but, the good news:

is that a big shipment of made in japan jeans - blank pocket no1 and no2's should be at blue in green in a couple of weeks!

last I spoke with Gordon, he had said that no.1s were probably going to be right about $300 if not more and the no 2s were going to be around the $250 range (which is about right given the other price markups that they have for their other jeans)

I wonder if they will still offer the painting service...

last I spoke with Gordon, he had said that no.1s were probably going to be right about $300 if not more and the no 2s were going to be around the $250 range (which is about right given the other price markups that they have for their other jeans)

I wonder if they will still offer the painting service...

I'm assuming they're the customary 14.5 oz weight to, right? I've also heard that the new Heritage line for 2007 has changed slightly, they say the quality has improved dramatically, but I can't find any pairs from the fall season. But I'd rather have a Japanese pair, if that makes any difference, since (from what I know) all the denim is made in Japan, just shipped to China (or wherever) to be turned into jeans or something.....

It'd be nice if you could get em painted.