Levi's Jeans: Boring Or Hot?

allcapitan

you do realize 'jap' is a racial slur right?

It didn't use to be. Pre-WWII, the word 'jap' was just a lazy contraction of the word Japanese, just like 'brit' for British or 'yank' for Yankee/American. Streets in America such as 'Jap Road' or 'Jap Lane' were named so, not to insult a race, but to recognise social work done by certain Japanese American citizens. The word 'Jap' only became a racist slur when used to describe the enemy in war propoganda publications during WWII. Later, it was used as a derogatory term when describing items of low quality such as japanese made cars and cameras in the 60's and 70's (much like how people dismiss Chinese made products today). I say, take it what you will. I didn't find it particularly offensive, esp. in the context that it was used. I'm sure superstar didn't mean to use it as a racist term.

I'm asian, btw. but not japanese.

Oh, and you do go back after buying japanese made denim. I'm wearing a pair of $30 STFs right now, while my $300 Sugarcanes get a once-a-week airing.

Anyone who is a true denim fanatic will have a soft spot for Levis IMO.

I'm wearing a pair of 55s right now, out of all the numerous Japan and other selvedge jeans I own, these are my favourite.

Regarding Diesel, I'd love a pair of their early 90s jeans with the orange selvedge and mohican head on the leather patch, unfortunately I cant find a pair. I dont like fashion fits, so that means Diesel doesnt make anything suitable for me at the moment. Everything is low rise, skinny etc.

Saying Levis are boring is like saying a white tshirt is boring.

I was actually quite surprised with the fit of my STFs. I bought a pair for fun, wondering why it was so cheap. Gave it a hot soak, line dry and put it on... and it fit really well, esp in the seat. I'm loving the modern 501 cut enough to consider getting some more premium denim in the levis range.

Picked off that crappy cardboard label though. Leather or nothing IMO.

I tried on some 501's as well, for the first time in a long time. I'm not really that enthralled with the idea of soaking myself wet wearing pants and then allowing them to dry to get a "custom fit." I like my jeans to fit me well, but this idea is really not that appealing to me.

I also tried on a pair of preshrunk 501's and found the style and cut to be a bit blah and generic. I generally prefer a slim cut, low rise.

I think my first pair of raw jeans will be 514's. I've already tried a pair on, and again, I'm not that crazy about the fit. I guess I do have to spend more to get the type of fit I want.

Allcap

Anyone who is a true denim fanatic will have a soft spot for Levis IMO.

I'm wearing a pair of 55s right now, out of all the numerous Japan and other selvedge jeans I own, these are my favourite.

Regarding Diesel, I'd love a pair of their early 90s jeans with the orange selvedge and mohican head on the leather patch, unfortunately I cant find a pair. I dont like fashion fits, so that means Diesel doesnt make anything suitable for me at the moment. Everything is low rise, skinny etc.

Saying Levis are boring is like saying a white tshirt is boring.

amazingly well put.

as for the diesel thing, i've grown a strong distate for because of how men wear it...ie super low, ass cracked, and bell bottom'd in silhouette. that's just nasty. that, and the fact that diesel's can always be had via nordstrom rack.

It's ironic that people here hate mainstream brands because most people only buy them to follow the crowd, but then what is everybody here doing?

the whole bandwagon argument about knee jerk reactions to diesel and r&r might be true for some people here, but not everyone. don't generalize; you don't necessarily know shit.

I had a bunch of weirdos, tarmac, isoform, and some psycho who calls himself dick danger neg rep me simply for mentioning Diesel and Rock and Republics. Get a life, people. These are just jeans! I can't believe these three people would get their panties in a bunch over cotton pants with blue dye.

Allcap

It's ironic that people here hate mainstream brands because most people only buy them to follow the crowd, but then what is everybody here doing?

you sort of have a point, but you also have to remember that the average superfuture user represents a very, very small consumer demographic... so in the grand scheme of things, we're still going agains the grain (together)

you sort of have a point, but you also have to remember that the average superfuture user represents a very, very small consumer demographic... so in the grand scheme of things, we're still going agains the grain (together)

I agree with the both of you. superfuture is a very small consumer demographic so u can say that we're still going against the grains, however alot of people here "joined" superfuture and follow the superfuture crowd of going against the mainstream rather than being against the mainstream even before joining this forum. so in actual fact, many superfuturians probably aren't really being true to themselves.

the rule is: buy what you like. no one on this forum nor anywhere else can/should compromise your ideals.