Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

I had Calamus few years ago and it's a nice scent but a little boring for me now. Smells like a vegetable field and fresh grass stains on your jeans.

I used Soda last summer and might purchase another bottle if I don't like anything from the energy series. Vettiveru is really nice but I don't categorize it as a summer scent, I also feel that it's better suited for the evening. Many girls also like it.

gg, where can i find a sample of yohji homme online? i'm assuming i won't be able to find it in any store in nyc, right?

Ah, Yohji...its discontinued, so your only chances of smelling (aside from ordering a full bottle on ebay...which I would recommend at some point sooner rather than later) is to go through The Perfumed Court.

If you want to skip the hassle...go to any department store and smell Lolita Lempicka Pour Homme...its very similar, but much, much better. More "oriental" in style with vanilla, etc. etc.

hey gimmie, i went to the perfume shop in TD center in the finanicial district(forgot the name) and the staff didnt seem noticiable. Looks like they have a pretty big selection, anything unique or hard to find that's worth smelling there?

hey gimmie, i went to the perfume shop in TD center in the finanicial district(forgot the name) and the staff didnt seem noticiable. Looks like they have a pretty big selection, anything unique or hard to find that's worth smelling there?

It does have a few hard-to-find treasures, but you'd have to really know your stuff to be able to pick anything out. I wouldn't recommend buying anything from those stores unless you know exactly how much $$$ something costs elsewhere. They tend to know if something they have is rare or discontinued, and they charge you for it. They also tend to overcharge for common stuff that you could get at the Bay.

Thanks

I checked out the Perfume book you recommended and it had a great review of Yohji.

I almost right away got a bottle of ebay but figured that you would know where to get a sample. What do you think of it? Is it worth getting especially that it will disappear soon?

Ah, Yohji...its discontinued, so your only chances of smelling (aside from ordering a full bottle on ebay...which I would recommend at some point sooner rather than later) is to go through The Perfumed Court.

If you want to skip the hassle...go to any department store and smell Lolita Lempicka Pour Homme...its very similar, but much, much better. More "oriental" in style with vanilla, etc. etc.

If you like licorice/anise, then its definitely one of the best I've smelled. I actually managed to get a small 10ml bottle on ebay for about $10...otherwise you have to get a 100ml bottle, which should run about $90 (don't pay more than $100).

The bottle is really nice...it comes with a pouch because its so skinny it falls over all the time.

The only things I can think of that would be similar would be Lempicka for Men, as mentioned, and maybe Bois D'Argent by Dior Homme. I never really recommend buying things blind though, so spring for the $4 sample and make sure before dropping the $$$.

just smelle monocle for the first time...kickass masculine scent, it was released for the wrong season though, seems on the heavy side for summer...

next season pickup if it's still available, you smell like a carpenter and that's not a bad thing...

I just bought TAR synthetic by cdg. it smells like plastic. girlfriend despises it, and so far reviews have been "it smells like grocery bags" , "it smells like dandruff shampoo" and "it smells like wood glue stripper".

will report in later with further field study results.

I smelled Monocle today too...its very nice, but quite similar to Avignon once the topnotes fade. Its too expensive to not be more unique.

I tried Dryclean too...which I had never sprayed on my skin before. It stinks like dryer sheet, which I guess is what they were going for, but I definitely don't need a bottle. I love the concept of the Synthetic series, but they're definitely not easy to wear. Tar is pretty ballsy, but if you can pull it off, you won't smell like anyone else!

I have to retract one of my earlier comments about hating all Hugo Boss stuff...I bought a bottle of Baldissarini, which is their higher end line, and its quite nice...but VERY light and short-lived. Don't think I'd buy it for the hundred and something dollars they want at full price, but its at Tjmax/winner for $35, so I couldn't resist.

Last year (or so) Chanel released a collection called "Les Exclusifs", which come in big ass 200ml bottles. They're only available at Chanel boutiques, but if you happen to have one near you, its worth a visit (if you can stand the stale stench of gereatric death in the store).

Anyhoo...ones to look out for - Eau de Cologne (standard citrus, but much more expensive smelling); Sycamore (vetiver); No. 18 (strange rose).

i grabbed cdg soda because it was pretty cheap ($35) and the most wearable out of the synthetics imo.

my other scents are too heavy for summer, and i got sick of my clinique happy , so im glad to have got it. It smells kinda sweet and a tad bit femine but nothing too extreme.. reminds me of sundried freshly laundered clothing with a splash of sprite spilled on it

synthetics were deffinatly reduced to £15 a bottle at dsm a while back not sure if that still applies,im really enjoying cdg pepermint sherbet series it fels so fresh on,and i have gone back to wearing avignon from insence most days now after a while of wearing cdg white daily.i think for summer i will open up my 8 88. need to pop to the store and smell the monocle fragrence also.

I like sound of this yohji one so il have to go smell that somewhere.

synthetics were deffinatly reduced to £15 a bottle at dsm a while back not sure if that still applies,im really enjoying cdg pepermint sherbet series it fels so fresh on,and i have gone back to wearing avignon from insence most days now after a while of wearing cdg white daily.i think for summer i will open up my 8 88. need to pop to the store and smell the monocle fragrence also.

I like sound of this yohji one so il have to go smell that somewhere.

I picked up a bottle of Skai...its interesting. Starts off typical sparkly citrus, but then it gets this strange meaty smell...similar to Champaca's cheesy/meaty smell, then back to fresh and synthetic. Interesting....I like.

Tar was interesting as well, very similar to Garage, but less complex and more wearable.

Dryclean was TOO much...too synthetic, too strong, too "clean" and soapy. Too much for me.

By Kilian is an over-hyped perfume company owned by one of the "Hennesey's". They have 6 scents, 5 of which are catpiss. They were all composed by a brilliant perfumer, who seemed to have a lapse in judgement. They retail for $225 for 50ml/1.7oz. They also came up with the brilliant idea of putting the recipe for all their fragrances on their website...genius.

They do, however, come in shiny boxes with stupid keys with tassels on them. I guess that's what you're paying for.

Beyond Love is the nice one btw...buy if for your girlfriend if you're a suckabitch.

Got my samples of Russian Tea Caravan and Mr. Hulot's Holiday the other day.

I can see why some would like RTC, but I don't think it's for me. Seems too sweet. I'll try it for a couple more days to see if I come around.

I really like Mr. Hulot's Holiday, but it doesn't last very long at all. I'm wondering if the absolute version would have more staying power.

Dryclean was TOO much...too synthetic, too strong, too "clean" and soapy. Too much for me.

Although I really like it, I find Dry Clean not "dry clean" enough, too sweet and cute; it should be more industrial. And true, it's too strong and synthetic, but it's also too much like perfume. Soda, and Skai are feminine but even more perfume-like. I guess I don't like perfume -___-

Although I really like it, I find Dry Clean not "dry clean" enough, too sweet and cute; it should be more industrial. And true, it's too strong and synthetic, but it's also too much like perfume. Soda, and Skai are feminine but even more perfume-like. I guess I don't like perfume -___-

You're probably smelling one of two things...hydroxycitronellol, a synthetic used in essentially every cologne/perfume today, along with most household products that aids in achieving a rosy, floral scent...or...aldehydes, which are extremely potent little buggers that are used to give a "sparkly" soapy effect, and had mostly been used in women's perfumery (Chanel No. 5) but are often thrown in in smaller doses in men's and unisex scents these days to give them life.

Maybe if that realm of smells are too much for you, try Tar or Garage for the opposite end of the spectrum.

Vanilla is one of those ingredients that I could take or leave...lately I've been noticing that I'm liking it more, but its usually in combination with someone strange.

Some weird shit worth trying:

1. Dzing (L'Artisan Parfumeur) - supposed to smell like a circus. Has a sweet, "cotton candy rolled in horseshit" smell that's strangely appealing.

2. Black (Bvlgari) - smells like flowers, vanilla, and burnt rubber. Good times.

3. Jicky (Guerlain) - lemon, vanilla, and a cat's anal-gland secretions.

4. Shalimar (Guerlain) - alright, its for chicks, but whatever. Vanilla and smoke.

5. Coze (Parfumerie Generale) - vanilla & hemp.