Does anyone make a standard fit (modern 501) jean in super high quality fabric?

jake snake

Maybe Denim Junkie (http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=23810)? If you get in on the group buy, they might be had for under $200.

Also, if sidney ever reads this, cool pic, cool fit. Don't go to WAYWT much, so I missed it.

The denim I've seen that is most like 501 is SDA 14oz - the SDA's denim is even richer, higher quality. Very similar fit as well. BUT - more than $200! But so are LVC, not to mention original vintage Levis.

I don't think the color or the denim quality of the current STF are really there. I have 2 pairs of them, and people say the end up a dingy gray after washing. They are too gray from the get-go as well. I'd say, raise your $$ limit about 25% and you'll get into much better stuff!

LVC's don't really lose their shape, it's just that people who aren't experienced with shrinkage don't know what to expect. Sometimes you've gotta just put your faith in general shrinkage rules. If they fit exactly how you want before they're washed/soaked, they certainly won't look how you want them to after they shrink. You've gotta anticipate the whole silhouette of the jeans to come in a bit.

For more reference, I'll give you my trial/error session with Studio D'Artisan. Last fall, I bought a pair of size 32 SD-103's and I absolutely loved the fit before shrinkage -- the only thing that needed to shrink was the waist. Because the waist felt like it was gonna be too big, I exchanged them for a size 31 SD-103. After I shrunk the size 31's, the waist was ok, but the overall fit of the jeans was tighter than I wanted. Moral of the story? Shoulda put my faith in shrinkage and gone with the 32's. The size 31's have been worn twice and if anyone wants to buy them, please contact me (accruates in tact!).

Fast forward 2 months later and I think, what the hell I'll give SD-101's a try. Tried on a sz30 at BIG and at first I thought the legs were too wide but I decided that after shrinkage, the seat and legs would come in perfectly. The only thing I had to control was waist shrinkage, a problem I remedied by just wearing the jeans for a little bit while they dried.

So basically I learned my lesson in that you've gotta plan for the legs to come in a bit too

The money isn't really a big deal. I for sure don't want to spend over $300.

I've heard, and it looks like from the pictures I've seen, that Japanese repo cuts have a shlubby lok to them. They're meant to be sagged, and not meant to be somewhat form fitting. If this isn't true I'll take the risk and buy a pair.

I would buy the LVC 501XXs, but if they get washed, the entire fit is ruined.

Nudies don't fit me in the thigh. The best fit I've ever tried on has been a pair of 33w (my waist size is 32) Capital E 527s. I love the slight bell because it makes me looker taller, and they seem to show off mah booty. I feel like they do for me what skinny jeans do for skinny guys.

Guy you are way too vague. I am a bigger guy 6'1" and 195 lbs, 33 waist. And there are many jeans that fit very well.

1. Which nudies do you try? I don't like Nudies but I found that the reg ralf fits bigger guys pretty well with no baggy saggy or twiggy legs.

2. Tonnes of lee cuts fit kick ass on our body type. Heard of the 101? It fits like a dream, very fitted no mega booty and not super slim. And lee cuts are done by alot of people, sugarcane, edwin, etc..

3. I know it can be tough but it seems like you have not tried on many jeans and are making some pretty broad sweeping statements on "japanese reproduction" denim, if your a guy there are tonnes of cuts that fit you the way you want them too (unlike females who usually have one or two cuts that fit their bodies) Anyway i suggest try some lees and lee cuts.

Trouble is, last time I read up on the subject, there were no places to try on Japanese repo denim, so I'd just be putting my faith into what I've read (which is usually limited to whether the fit is "good" or "bad").

I was thinking about some Lee 101zs, but I really don't like the way the back pocket comes down past the butt, to a point. That sort of back pocket usually looks really bad on me.

I tried on the Japanese denim regular ralfs on, but the thigh was too narrow, and I didn't think the denim quality was all that great for the price.

As far as the greycast on the LVCs, I only saw them prewash, but I loved the grey tone to them. I tend to not like solid blue blue jeans much.

Those are just the 101z from the one company, check out the edwin, sugarcane, or lee euro of the 101z and 101b they don't have the super drop pocket with the point just the regular sheild style pocket.

Go to the "how do they fit thread" and look for them. I'll pop up with some pictures. First, I have no clue what you mean by "wearing flame shirts," that just came out of nowhere. The cut and denim are superb. Nice slubs all over the place and great care has obviously been made to dye the threads with the maximum amount of indigo possible. Very, very dark. That being said, they are BLUE. Like very, very blue with no grey tone whatsoever

Brand new:

dsc02637jl6.jpg

dsc02638zm1.jpg

5 weeks:

dsc02768yg6.jpg

Leg, buttons:

dsc02728nm4.jpg

dsc02733fr2.jpg

I have a few more shots if needed. I hope that you have put your search to rest.

• 6 months later...
I think you're very caught up in the way lots of young guys wear their jeans. Like previous posters implied, they are saggy because people want them that way. They don't have to be worn that way though. I had the same problem you are talking about. I love to wear my jeans on my hips but I hate the ass sag that lots of japanese brands gave me. So what did I do? I went to Blue in Green and tried on just about every pair in the store. Sure enough, many "regular fit" pairs were way to "saggy". However I found that there are some "regular" cuts that can be worn on the hips but have been updated to be slimmer through the seat. I'm a thin guy, but I've also got fairly healthy thighs so the whole skinny fit doesn't look quite right on me. Therefore, I needed a regular fit that wasn't too big in the ass. I'm not kidding you when I say that I tried on just about every pair of jeans at BIG. I was there for well over an hour and Gordon never got tired of my questions. Afterwards I went to 45rpm to compare their jeans.

I found a handful of cuts that had I been willing to drop thousands, I would have bought them all:

Studio D'Artisan SD-101

Oni Blue

PBJ 003

Samurai 5000vx

I ended up walking away with the SD-101's and I'm very satisfied. The ass isn't saggy at all but I've got room in all the right places.

Also, I tried on the new line of RRL jeans the other day and their regular fit had a slim seat compared to 501 repros.

Japanese denim companies have evolved past identical reproductions...get out there and try some on. If you can't try em on, communicate with Gordon at Blue in Green. He's one of the most thorough and patient people I've come across.

pretty informative. im sure some newbies would be interested in finding this thread instead of starting new posts. i learned something as im considering some pbjs

• 10 months later...