what are you eating today?

soepom

I made the perfect steak tonight...

oven heat a cast iron pan to 500 degrees, then sear a nice 1.5 inch thick ribeye cut(covered in kosher salt and pepper) for 30 seconds on each side, then 2 minutes on each side in the oven, and voila perfect steak. take out of the pan and let sit covered for 5-10 minutes to allow it to seal in as much of the flavor and moisture as possible, and eat.

I've never ever had a better steak.

u s e l e s s w i t h o u t p i c s

(i want to see all the blood)

there was zero blood until I ate it, the cooking method is more smoke oriented than anything.. don't make it if you live in an apartment / have a sensitive smoke alarm.

and I'll take pics next time I make it, sufu needs to see the perfection.

day 1 of chinese new year (pot luck at my granma's place)

wayet0207ada7.jpg

prepared by all the married women in my family

the pot in the middle is loosely translated as the pot-dish, which essentially layers and layers of good stuff (sea cucumber, fish maw, abalone, giant dried scallops, roast meats, mushrooms, vegetables) stewed to tender tasty perfection.

wayet0207bfw0.jpg

the customary yu sheng with abalone

wayet0207cqv9.jpg

we adjourned to my aunt's new place for desserts after.

musicians' gathering at my place. my mum whipped up a storm, for some of the most talented and deserving people i know:

wayet0209asx3.jpg

abalone yusheng again

wayet0209bnn2.jpg

scallop in thai sauce (again, but hey, it's chinese new year... repetition is not a crime i guess! especially when it's so good)

wayet0209cql5.jpg

shredded duck stir-fry and peas with scallop belacan (premium homemade chilli paste)

wayet0209dqt4.jpg

deep fried soft-shell crabs

wayet0209eht3.jpg

my favourite roast suckling pig (and to answer Chicken's query: no... no one actually eats the head... and i think the brains would have been dried up in the roasting process...)

wayet0209fby3.jpg

mum's latest creation: pan-seared lychee stuffed with otah (spicy seafood and coconutty) paste

wayet0209gzp3.jpg

baked chicken kebabs

wayet0209hdb8.jpg

slipper lobsters. simple seasoning and preparation was all that's needed for something so freshhhhh

wayet0209ike3.jpg

cereal prawns

wayet0209jff3.jpg

steamed cod fish with egg tofu in a delicate sauce

some good eats from the last week or so...

from superbowl dinner:

DSC_0511.jpg

pita chips, carrots, red/green bell peppers, humus & tahini

DSC_0514.jpg

spring mix salad w/ toasted almonds, dried cranberries, cherries, raisans w/ homemade balsamic vinegrette dressing

DSC_0515.jpg

the entre - honey mustard salmon on toasted italian bread w/ special-mayo based dressing (pictured with spring mix salad)

DSC_0516.jpg

dessert - homemade m&m blondies w/ vanilla & strawberry icecream and green grapes

this one is from sometime this week:

DSC_0517.jpg

roast beef & munster cheese with honey mustard (bottom) & ketchup (top) on an italian loaf w/ some lettuce somewhere in there

Went to the Florida State Fair last night and ate some absurd stuff. Left my camera in the car, unfortunately, but I had fried Pepsi and key lime pie coated in chocolate. Fried Pepsi is sort of weird, but the key lime pie was great. Also on offer was fried cookie dough, fried oreos, varous fried candy bears, fried fruit, fried cheesecake, etc.

I also had a really awful BBQ pork sandwich (had a bone in it) accompanied by really awful french fries and sweet tea that maybe, possibly had some sugar in it.

Yeah, it's funnel cake batter with pepsi syrup mixed into it and fried, and then it has pepsi syrup drizzled over it, and is sprinkled with powdered sugar and skewered with a toothpick. Fried coke exists too, but we couldn't find any despite our most concerted efforts.

p/s mrip neg repped me because my posts make him hungry?!?!?!?! i shall let it pass this time around. but the next time you shall feel the full length of my e-peen up your behind. hmph.

think of it as an extra special green rep.

your posts always shut down the thread