Uber-High Fashion - Please Debate

englandmj7

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jmatsu
Wow, I learnt a lot from this thread. Just felt that I should thank everyone who took the time to put post up.

I'm just getting into fashion (I was like 99% of guys out there who hated shopping and didn't give a shit about how I looked) and this thread has offered me new perspectives and insight into some posters' mind sets - posters whose opinions I value.

There's so much for me to learn and I know it's going to be a wonderful experience. For someone in the early stages of style development like me, threads like this are good guides, if nothing else but to make me think through all the motivations behind why I'm spending $XX on something.

Cheers.

lowrider while i appreciated you humility in the beginning, is it always the same song and dance with you?

lowrider while i appreciated you humility in the beginning, is it always the same song and dance with you?

I just call it like I see it man. I try to be positive, 'tis all. You seem to drop a lot of hate but you say you're just voicing your opinion. What's so different between you and me?

I see no reason to rag on people online. I've got better things to focus my energies on (like learning) and I save my aggression for shit I can hit.

What was that saying? Something about arguing over the Net is like the Special Olympics - you may win but you're still retarded.

BTW, if you knew me, you wouldn't say I was humble. Like I told robideaux, I'm just barely smart enough to know when I don't know shit so I shut up and listen.

same reason people buy mercedes and bmws: looks, performance, status symbol, or a combination of all three...

they could just buy a honda civic and it would still serve the same basic purposes, while saving money on gas, maintenance costs, etc. but if they can afford to go the extra mile to satisfy other needs (or wants), then so be it.

i dunno.... whatever

nice read

Guest jmatsu
I just call it like I see it man. I try to be positive, 'tis all. You seem to drop a lot of hate but you say you're just voicing your opinion. What's so different between you and me?

I see no reason to rag on people online. I've got better things to focus my energies on (like learning) and I save my aggression for shit I can hit.

What was that saying? Something about arguing over the Net is like the Special Olympics - you may win but you're still retarded.

BTW, if you knew me, you wouldn't say I was humble. Like I told robideaux, I'm just barely smart enough to know when I don't know shit so I shut up and listen.

you can say what whatever the fuck you want, i'm just addressing the fact that you alway scomment about having a lot to learn, being a noobie, and yadaX3. so basically you're calling yourself an ignorant noob (of 1000 posts or so). it's getting redundant. you don't have to make excuses in every other post. if you don't have the confidence to post a waywt w/o first prefacing "i'm a noob"...waaaa" then don't bother posting.

quit "ragging" on me for "ragging" on people. "...i save my agression for shit i can hit."

is this an inept attempt at a physical threat?

you can say what whatever the fuck you want, i'm just addressing the fact that you alway scomment about having a lot to learn, being a noobie, and yadaX3. so basically you're calling yourself an ignorant noob (of 1000 posts or so). it's getting redundant. you don't have to make excuses in every other post. if you don't have the confidence to post a waywt w/o first prefacing "i'm a noob"...waaaa" then don't bother posting.

quit "ragging" on me for "ragging" on people. "...i save my agression for shit i can hit."

is this an inept attempt at a physical threat?

Relax bro. Why can't you just accept the fact that we handle things differently?

I'm not confident about my style (as I mentioned previously most of posts were in superdenim only and it was me learning about denim, not fashion in general) and I preface my WAYWT pics so that maybe I can get some constructive criticism instead of people just telling me it sucks but not telling me what I should do to make it better. We all gotta start somewhere right? I'm hoping that people like you (who have a developed sense of style) will help out guys like me. If you're going to take the time to tell me my fit sucks or is boring, how much harder is it to type a little more and tell me to wear this shirt or those shoes to make it better? Share the knowledge and experience man.

Why are you so defensive? I wasn't ragging on you for hating. Re-read my post. I'm merely illustrating the fact that you and I have different approaches but we're both just saying what's on our minds. Bottom line - it's that basic. I don't care if you want to hate, it doesn't bother me. Spew all the shit you want, it's a forum.

And no, I never threaten, it's just not my style. Like I told you in the previous post, I don't get upset at what people say to or about me online cuz there's nothing I can do about it. Say that shit to me in that same tone in the street and it's a different story. So don't worry, I'm not threatening you. I just want to learn from you and others on this forum with experience and style.

If you won't help me, fine, I can't make you and we'll just keep doing what we do. But take it as a compliment that I want to learn from you.

Okay? No hate, just love man.

Guest jmatsu

you're overanalyzing this entire conversation from the very begining. people probably know your e-persona by now, that you're trying to learn, etc. my comment about the "same song and dance" was to imply that it is uneccessary to come off so apologetic all the time. it just seems alittle pathetic. most noobs go thru this insecurity phase for like 20 post max (give or take). you're around 1000. nothing personal, but i'm sure that other members share similar sentiments as me. in the begining i genuinely fancied your humility, but seriously, it's just getting old.

lastly i'm was never getting defensive, on contrary, you second post following my first seemd defensive and unecessary. and if we ever met up face to face , i'd probably say it "why the repetitive song and dance?" i just found it uncessary that you shared the fact that you get physical in person when (we're on the internet on a fashion forum. seemed alittle out of context). what's the point of writing this? think about it...did superfuture need that bit of useless info???

no hate here either.

you're overanalyzing this entire conversation from the very begining. people probably know your e-persona by now, that you're trying to learn, etc. my comment about the "same song and dance" was to imply that it is uneccessary to come off so apologetic all the time. it just seems alittle pathetic. most noobs go thru this insecurity phase for like 20 post max (give or take). you're around 1000. nothing personal, but i'm sure that other members share similar sentiments as me. in the begining i genuinely fancied your humility, but seriously, it's just getting old.

lastly i'm was never getting defensive, on contrary, you second post following my first seemd defensive and unecessary. and if we ever met up face to face , i'd probably say it "why the repetitive song and dance?" i just found it uncessary that you shared the fact that you get physical in person when (we're on the internet on a fashion forum. seemed alittle out of context). what's the point of writing this? think about it...did superfuture need that bit of useless info???

no hate here either.

Points noted. Mahalo and peace man.

It's like denim i suppose. I buy em even though no one fucking knows what they are (edit : applies to me personally). To other people they are just trousers. We know and we like it. So I think it's really just a personal preference and boils down to the fact whether or not you have the money.

Right now, I agree and do not get why people would pay 200 for a plain white shirt. But If I one day become really rich, worked hard for my money, and reached the point that money isn't an issue at all + clothing being one of my priorities, then I wouldn't really care paying 200 bucks for a shirt. It's only 200 anyway - given of course I like the shirt. So yeah.

many people would disagree here

why?

for me personally, I wear a lot of stuff my friends know nothing about, a large part of the brands I like are not at all well known here and very people know about them. same for denim, I'd guess that not a single person in my city has recognized any of the jeans I wear whether its dior or skulls for example. so in that sense I very much agree with the statement.

increases. I myself dont own any tshirts that cost more than $60, however, I probably will own some as the ratcheting increases, because I sure as fuck couldn't have seen myself owning a $60 one 6 years back when $28 was considered a princely sum. ..

Ha hah. Very relevant.

RAISED BY WOLVES -

I didn't listen to your disclaimer: I don't like you, but I still read your rant. :P

But anyway, I think that damn near every person on this board is in a similar boat as you are. The difference is, that out of the thousands of members on here, I am betting a handful will eventually escalate to a level where they can afford a $300 t-shirt, while simulatenously being interested in buying a $300 t-shirt.

I now own what essentially amounts to a $300 T shirt.

why?

for me personally, I wear a lot of stuff my friends know nothing about, a large part of the brands I like are not at all well known here and very people know about them. same for denim, I'd guess that not a single person in my city has recognized any of the jeans I wear whether its dior or skulls for example. so in that sense I very much agree with the statement.

i think i missread something along the lines, or not

i was reffering to his statement about denim and how 'we' (sufu) know nothing about them and still buy them, when its pretty clear that some (if not many) are denim nerds and would know terms like 'felled seam' to 'right hand twill' .... but he took back his generalisation and said it was his own opinion, which is all good now.

the comments like 'I wear a lot of stuff my friends know nothing about...' i totally agree with since it pretty much applies to me. except for lucases first generalisation most of comments made referring to uber-high fasihon is pretty true.

England, I think your debate is very intersting. Correct me if i'm misunderstanding but i think your question is: why people do spend so much money in basic articles from designers like annD or Yohji.

First, I'll talk about myself. I don't have a lot of money because I am a student so most of the time I use my parents money (birthday,pocket money and co..) to buy my clothes. My parents (especially my father :D) don't agree with my spending attitude because I buy things they consider too expensive in my budget. But they know one thing, it's that I don't use this money to just copy other teenagers. I don't buy energy denims or a D&G belt made only to show around. When I buy a Yohji's knit or cdg pants, nobody knows appart my closed friends that I'm wearing so expensive clothes and I usually won't mention the price of these articles.

Now let's talk about the core of the subject. I never tried out a margiela or a slimane tanktop because of course it was out of my budget and with 400$ i prefer to invest in a nice coat. I think that for basic articles there are diferent types of customers. First, the fanatics of the brand who believe that even the basic articles such as Tee or tanktops are fantastic. The second category,I think concerns a lot of people. The tee or the tanktop, in most cases look better or diferent from another AA Tee for instance, so when somebody ask them "nice tee dude! where did you get it?" "oh well, i bought it at *** " "you damn crazy!" well, these people want to show their ability to spend a lot in only a tee to show they are crazy or that money burn there fingers. I think mastermind japan is a good exemple. And the third category concerns also some people who finded the perfect tee or tanktop which fit them perfectly. So they prefer investing in one tee which fit them perfectly. I ve got a friend who buy tees only at jil sander for this reason and it s not only his impression. It fits really great on him.

In my opinion, it's clear that spending 300 bucks in a tee or 1000 for mastermind is not justified. But I think even if the difference between the high designer one and the average brand is not very important, a little differnce in the cutting which can't be found in another brand explains the difference in pricing. Especially for tank tops and V necks tee I think just a little difference in the cutting may create a definite change in the aspect. But does it worth spending so much money? I don't have the answer to this question but I think t-shirts have become a very important part of our clothing with denims since american movie stars use this casual style. I think it is george clooney who buys his tees at armani and it fits him very well.

I buy my t shirts at AA and muji but i am not definitel satisfied about these.

ps:sorry for my weird english cuse I'm french

Well since this is a very sensitive Subject and it's purely based on opinions.

I'll share some of mine.

First off, I've learnt that an essential rule as a designer is to price your garment as a reflection of your time and effort spent in designing. Even for simple tops, it is how you match your outfits, play with people's perception. Everything has a purpose and reason. It is how one values himself. If I'm fuckin awesome then i'll price my garments are ludacris prices because i spent time and effort creating something out my vision. There are lots of good designs going at really low prices. Sometimes you look at a piece and say " Wow it's a steal". It is how much a designer values his work. Then again for fashion houses, it's alot up to the merchandiser to choose the pricing but the essence of it is there.

Try starting up a label, you'll see how important pricing is. Too low and you barely earn anything to survive. Too high and you'll alienate people but there's always a target market. To me high fashion is alot like art. You buy the pieces as things of beauty. We don't really need them but it evokes feelings in us. Often, desire. Buying high fashion goods is much like buying art. You don't say " Oh my, $12,000 for this?! The canvas only costs $5."

Cheerio. :)

To me high fashion is alot like art. You buy the pieces as things of beauty. We don't really need them but it evokes feelings in us. Often, desire. Buying high fashion goods is much like buying art. You don't say " Oh my, $12,000 for this?! The canvas only costs $5."

But I am guilty of buying an $80 sheer long sleeve from Ann as well as a $200 pair of trousers from her as well. Why? Because, as I've said before, I love the quality, fabric, design, and attention to detail in her clothing. I have yet to find another designer that evokes as much emotion in clothing as Ann, 'cept for CCP (Which I have no clothing from).

On point. I agree. Art is powerful (if one considers fashion and clothing as art, I definitely do) because it evokes emotion - hence making us shell dollars. But, even if you're not an artsy person and don't really view it that way, these pieces of clothing, how common they may be and generic they look, are a thing of beauty/ can be a thing of beauty to some eyes - that varies from person to person.