Buying a North Face Jacket

ajm27

There aren't many North Face dealers in Australia so I'm in the dark on which exact model to source. Any recommendations on a certain North Face model? Pictures on and off and links would all be great...

Go to: thenorthface.com

Why are you shopping for a North Face jacket? Are you coming to America soon? I've noticed that a black fleece North Face pullover is the one fashion accessory every other tourist wearing on Michigan Avenue. I wish I could find my picture of the three Japanese kids walking in a line together all wearing the same pullover, blue jeans and black shoes.

Two springs ago, I think it peaked.

At any rate, it's $99 to $180 and made out of recycled pop bottles, but from what I understand they're very soft.

I would go with the mountain parka... 3 layer gore-tex XCR will keep you dry in anything, this year's model has zip-in capability for fleeces, and is just an all-round bombproof jacket.

I cannot speak for Patagonia, but I recently tried on a comparable arcteryx jacket and it was too short in the body for my taste and didn't feel as solid as the north face.

Whatever you get, if you are going with hardshell I strongly recommend getting gore-tex, it is way more durable, breathable, and water resistant than many of its competitors.

I just got the Arcteryx Epsilon and its a nice softshell. I agree with everyone on this post when I say that you purchase North Face for the name recognition and nothing else. I prefer Arcteryx, Marmot, Cloudveil, and a slew of others over North Face. And ylike DJ2 said Hyvent is crap when compared to Gore Tex.

Buy from Sierratradingpost or REI where they have a satisfaction guarantee. For the life of your jacket you can return it any time.

arc'teryx is sick. but it costs a lot imo. the north face isn't much cheaper, but the jacket i have now only cost $120 (apex jacket) and it kept me really warm during the winter. layering is important if you buy a soft shell. my next jacket is gonna be arc'teryx.

Go to: thenorthface.com

Why are you shopping for a North Face jacket? Are you coming to America soon? I've noticed that a black fleece North Face pullover is the one fashion accessory every other tourist wearing on Michigan Avenue. I wish I could find my picture of the three Japanese kids walking in a line together all wearing the same pullover, blue jeans and black shoes.

Two springs ago, I think it peaked.

At any rate, it's $99 to $180 and made out of recycled pop bottles, but from what I understand they're very soft.

No I'm not coming to America. I just need a jacket for the Melbourne winters. The avarage temperture is about 50. I'm quite a cold person so I'm looking for something a little warm but still not too thick...

I really like the sound of Arcteryx, I might look into one of those.

tell me the weather conditions and i can guide you in the right direction.

the first lesson to buying north face jackets:

don't buy north face jackets.

+1 Look at Mountain Hardwear also. Bulletproof gear. If you are going for style Arcteryx is tops IMO but to use as intended I am devoted to Mtn Hrdwr.

What are you on about? I live in Melbourne... You don't need no North Face, better off buying a casual jacket IMO. It's not cold enough here! Bring on the Winter!!!

But if you really want one, there is a place on Swanston Street in the City called Extreme Mountain Sports or Something, they are an official THF dealer, and they always seem to have a sale on, check them out.

What are you on about? I live in Melbourne... You don't need no North Face, better off buying a casual jacket IMO. It's not cold enough here! Bring on the Winter!!!

But if you really want one, there is a place on Swanston Street in the City called Extreme Mountain Sports or Something, they are an official THF dealer, and they always seem to have a sale on, check them out.

I'm do allot of surfing in winter and I'm outdoors all the time, so I'm after something warm.

That place in Swanston has been closed for about 3 months, their is a new place up on Elizabeth...

I'm do allot of surfing in winter and I'm outdoors all the time, so I'm after something warm.

That place in Swanston has been closed for about 3 months, their is a new place up on Elizabeth...

Oh really? I always thought it looked like a shit store...

Where abouts do you surf? I went down to Mornington the other week was really good. Meant to be good this weekend also.

Oh really? I always thought it looked like a shit store...

Where abouts do you surf? I went down to Mornington the other week was really good. Meant to be good this weekend also.

I'm down at Jan Juc most weekends. It's been piss poor lately (the last three months), on shores are killing me...

I keep a pretty close eye on www.coastalwatch.com but it's been letting me down a little of late...

What size do you wear? I'm about to sell a particular tnf jacket i have that fits your parameters.

I'm a meduim, pm some details...

you can buy a cheap older north face on ebay sometimes.

i bought an old goretex mountain guide from like the early 90s on ebay for cheap and it still held up for me after all that time. just replenished the coating with that stuff you can buy at EMS or other outdoor stores.

it kept me warm last winter only wearing a shirt and hoodie underneath.

I've got a nuptse or whatever is called north face jacket. The thing i like about it is, it keeps you really warm and at the same time not over heat and sweat like a pig. But yeah Australian winter isn't really that cold, i've only worn mine like 2 or 3 times ever since i got it. But i do remember Melbourne being alot colder than Sydney.

Speaking of Aus winter, how about those guys who wear a pair of stubbies and a wife beater all seasons even in the snow! And to top it off they still sweat as much as they do in summer.

I own both Mountain Hardware and Northface shells and fleeces. Both are comparable but the MH has a bit nicer style IMO. I have had a few of my thing warrantied by the North Face and their customer service is very good (if that is important to you) Two of my jackets were flat out replaced due after many years of hard wear (tree-planting, hiking, camping etc...) My face northface is the Ama dablam (i think that is how it is spelled) shell it is a s stretch goretex with full range motion arms fits very nice.

I like the arctyrex stuff but it is mega expensive and also I feel they have began to drop in quality since they were bought out by Solomon. Patagonia jackets have always exuded quality but again you pay for it. Bang for your buck are the MEC jackets they are cheap and good quality but ultra sparse and very utilitarian looking (but very good quality).

Mammut stuff is really great as well but they will break your bank and also be very hard to find.

From what you have said I would do a fleece and shell combo (not the kind that zip together though just have one of each) Pick up something in a nice 3 ply goretex (preferably stretch like the xcr stuff) . You actually don't even need the fleece and could just wear a heavy sweater under your shell and it would act like a fleece. If you do decide you NEED a fleece try and find a fleece/wool blend as they look a bit more stylish than straight fleece and hold their shape over time a bit better.

I owned a different jacket with Paclite goretex and Paclite goretex sucks. It breaks down very easily and has little abrasion resistance thus it does not take long (1-2 years) before you get wet spots in your jacket where the water gets through the goretex.