21 Days (more than 12 hours/day) of Wear - No Fading

lowrider

I've been wearing my Sugar Cane x Begin jeans for 21 whole days (more than 12 hours of wear each day) and I'm not getting any fades. I've had a 2hr. hot soak, a 30min. Dr. Bronner's soak/wash followed by a 3hr. hot soak and a super hot tumble dry to date.

What am I doing wrong? It just the dye? Or is it due to the "anti-fit" cut (big seat, etc.)? I'm not getting the crazy honeycombs I see in most jeans on the evolution thread.

My Gough is already getting the back pockets "item" fade from my wallet and smart phone in just 8 days of wear.

Thoughts? Thanks!

lowrider - on the contrary, i'd say your canes are behaving like any pair of good jeans should. are they creasing? if they are i wouldn't worry about it, because your Goughs are likely to fade quickly but after awhile plateau out as far as colour goes, whereas the sugar canes should last you a much longer time. there's a reason why the most beautiful fades take years to achieve. if there are creases, the contrast will come sooner or later, don't sweat it. there's nothing you're doing wrong, just keep wearing the jeans.

^ahlvahroe thats deep

the special sugarcane jeans (sc40400, sc40300, begin, etc) the ones made with natural indigo take a long time to fade

you cant really expect distinct sharp fading with natural indigo, usually a more overall fade is achieved, at least thats what I've seen.

the fact that they havent faded a lot means their dyed well and high quality dont worry about it and keep enjoying them, the fading will come.

your just overthinking it dude. its not a race its the journey that matters.

I'm enjoying the journey - love wearing these jeans and I think it's so cool that I get to wear what I love every day w/ no down time!

I'm just curious to see how these jeans will fade.

Thanks guys.

tweedle - I'm getting some creasing in the crotch but not too much. I'm getting more honeycombs (again, nothing compared to what I see on most jeans in the evo thread).

BTT - I did the first 2hr. hot soak when I got them since they were a bit bigger than I expected (even though they were a 1 wash). I'm in Hawaii where it's hot and humid hence the 30min. Dr. Bronner's wash/soak. I followed the wash/soak with a 3hr. hot soak and hot tumble dry for maximum shrinkage. I didn't know that these were a '47 cut until Gordon from BiG told me and explained that it's supposed fit a little awkwardly.

I'm happy to hear that the reason it's taking a while to see fades is because of the quality of the construction and dyeing process.

I love the super bumpy feeling of the inside of these jeans in the morning. Like a weird skin massage.

Is it dyed with "natural indigo"? It just validates that you won't get contrasts/fading with jeans made with natural indigo dyes like 45 rpm's Jomons and PBJ's A1.

I don't know if it's AI indigo. Here's what it says on the SC Japan site:

In common with denim fabric, the warp yarn is indigo dyed while the weft yarn would be natural white color. With the fabric for the collaboration project, the warp yarn is an even dyed with Okinawa indigo and the weft is Ikat dyed. Dyestuffs for the fabric are all from the plants of BEGIN’s hometown, Ishigaki-Jima. Raw material, Sugar Cane fiber for the yarn is from sugar cane plantation of Ishigaki-Jima as well and dyed by distinctive and traditional dyeing method of the island. Weft yarns are dyed with a blend of dyestuffs from distinctive vegetation in the island, the yellow dyestuff from Fukugi-grass, the red from Coolu-potato, Indigo color from the Ryukyu Indigo and the green from a combination of Fukugi-grass and Ryukyu Indigo, the 4 colors make the distinct Ikat look on the welt yarn. Weaving process is the “Minsa-Weave†technique adopted from the early days of Okinawa islands, that give a unique appearance on the denim.

I don't know if it's AI indigo. Here's what it says on the SC Japan site:

In common with denim fabric, the warp yarn is indigo dyed while the weft yarn would be natural white color. With the fabric for the collaboration project, the warp yarn is an even dyed with Okinawa indigo and the weft is Ikat dyed. Dyestuffs for the fabric are all from the plants of BEGIN’s hometown, Ishigaki-Jima. Raw material, Sugar Cane fiber for the yarn is from sugar cane plantation of Ishigaki-Jima as well and dyed by distinctive and traditional dyeing method of the island. Weft yarns are dyed with a blend of dyestuffs from distinctive vegetation in the island, the yellow dyestuff from Fukugi-grass, the red from Coolu-potato, Indigo color from the Ryukyu Indigo and the green from a combination of Fukugi-grass and Ryukyu Indigo, the 4 colors make the distinct Ikat look on the welt yarn. Weaving process is the “Minsa-Weave†technique adopted from the early days of Okinawa islands, that give a unique appearance on the denim.

There you go... it's natural dye indigo. You won't get much fading/contrast. That's the nature of the beast. It's still a great add to your collection!!+++

yup. i want to see how they're breaking in so far

No really difference between the original pics I posted. There's some very faint honeycombs and maybe (could be my imagination) some back pocket phone fade but nothing worth posting up.

I'm gonna just keep on keepin' on in these kick ass jeans...