Seven Jeans

Leeacto

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the quality of selvage is so important to people - would we buy it when it's invisible? I.e., If APC NS did not have the selvage edge, would these jeans be the jeans of every Superfuture conformist? Of course not. The primary pleasure of selvage is that it looks fucking cool. No one talks about Cures being selvage denim, although they are (invisibly so). And looking fucking cool is not objectively better. It is a subjective value, just as some idiots think True Religions look beautiful.

I would say APCs are actually lower quality than most of the mall jeans I used to wear. They're made in Macau. The seams come apart. They stretch outrageously - all problems that PDCs or Diesels avoid. Yet the cut is nice and the denim looks good, so I prefer them. I'm not going to try to justify it with this "quality" myth, however.

Yeah, selvage just looks nice. Especially cuffed. Yummmm.

I don't find cuffing with non-selvage (overlock) stitching to be attractive. I actually kinda cringe when I see it. It happens more often than I would like.

And yeah, I did the whole designer denim scene too before I hit here. But in my defense, I only really bought them when they were half off. Also, bootlegs and soft denim are actually really really hard for me to wear now. They feel so funny... I kinda feel naked wearing them.

I like Diesel's stuff though. I tried on a great pair of straights while I was in Hong Kong. I think it was Viker. But I could be wrong. It also may have been slim. Who knows.

(And to bring up an earlier point, why the hell are people still wearing Uggs...)

You are very mistaken ... that is called "overlock" stitching ... used to prevent some fraying and mask the cut denim material ....its like..the cheap mans selvage :P

half selvedge, has both elements.

rmctd610314009hv6.jpg

wrong.jpg

So you would prefer that EVERYONE only like the niche denim products that people here drool over? Wouldnt that make them less exclusive? I'm with the other guy - its fine with me if other people like other brands, including seven or whatever.

If the quality of selvage is so important to people - would we buy it when it's invisible? I.e., If APC NS did not have the selvage edge, would these jeans be the jeans of every Superfuture conformist? Of course not. The primary pleasure of selvage is that it looks fucking cool.

I don't own APCs (though they look fine). I dont think this statement makes sense. You're kind of insinuating that EVERYONE who owns selvage denim cuffs their jeans, rigth? But yeah, it does look cool. Also, it's noticeably warmer than other jeans on windy-ass winter days in Madison.

I don't own APCs (though they look fine). I dont think this statement makes sense. You're kind of insinuating that EVERYONE who owns selvage denim cuffs their jeans, rigth? But yeah, it does look cool. Also, it's noticeably warmer than other jeans on windy-ass winter days in Madison.

Selvage isnt any warmer dude....That statement doesnt make sense ... unless you were referring to raw or dry denim being warmer ...... but washed denim can be selvage too

So you would prefer that EVERYONE only like the niche denim products that people here drool over? Wouldnt that make them less exclusive? I'm with the other guy - its fine with me if other people like other brands, including seven or whatever.

personally, i'd love it. the exclusivity is not why i buy the denim i do. i enjoy quality and cuts of a certain style. if more people overall bought denim of a higher standard, it'd be better for everyone.

personally, i'd love it. the exclusivity is not why i buy the denim i do. i enjoy quality and cuts of a certain style. if more people overall bought denim of a higher standard, it'd be better for everyone.

Right but not everyone likes repro cuts. In fact some people really dislike them. It took me a REALLY long time to find the particular ones I wanted because a lot of them are just not my cup of tea. Not to mention a lot of people dont want to put the effort into ordering shit via arbitrage from japan. A lot of people who buy jeans buy them frequently and like to wash a lot and dont have the inclination to put in the time and effort to break in raw jeans. Quite frankly most denim consumers don't give a rat's ass about selvage or 14oz versus 9oz denim or left/right/broken/whatever twill. I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all. Lots of people can't afford the expensive stuff or even if they can don't want to spend more than $40 or whatever on a pair of jeans. Nothing wrong with that either. I'm always surprised at how negative people are on here about brands or styles that don't conform to the accepted norms of what people like on this forum.