191 members have voted

1. 1. which coast is better

• west
    • east

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still, Calfornia has some horribly dangerous places........Compton, Inglewood, Oakland, Stockton.......

Those places are horribly dangerous, sure, but they're also horribly isolated from

their surroundings for socio-economic reasons, typically across racial divides.

Which means that, if you really wanted to, you could pretend those places

weren't even there.

On the east coast, we like to keep our criminals next to us on the subway,

serving us our dinner at our $500 per person prixe fixe dinners, managing

our hedge funds, and most importantly of all, in our hearts.

a japanese friend of mine had to go to harlem for some reason. he asked me if he should dress more "hip hop" to avoid getting fucked with. i said, "are you crazy? you don't know enough about hip hop to freak it right. you dressing up like wu-tang would be like putting on a sign that says 'rape me, i'm tender.'"

i told him to put on his gucci suit with his gucci sunglasses and walk around like you don't give a fuck.

he did that and he said everyone treated him nice. a few times, he was asked nervously if he was "yakuza".

i def consider baltimore east coast.

well it has a harbor on the atlantic ocean, sooooo....

EDIT: east coasters are forgetting about crazed PETA militants ransacking labs at UCSF and burning foie gras sellers in Napa Valley...who's got the Wiki stats on those hard asses...

Those places are horribly dangerous, sure, but they're also horribly isolated from

their surroundings for socio-economic reasons, typically across racial divides.

Which means that, if you really wanted to, you could pretend those places

weren't even there.

On the east coast, we like to keep our criminals next to us on the subway,

serving us our dinner at our $500 per person prixe fixe dinners, managing

our hedge funds, and most importantly of all, in our hearts.

Actually, this isn't really true. These are very important places in the scheme of things. Inglewood/South Central/parts of Downtown are places that, if you live in LA you will always have to go into or through. Every inch of Oakland has the potential for crime, and it carries over all of the bay (including San Francisco, etc.). In fact, LA has some of the craziest integration I have ever seen. For instance, in Marina Del Rey (where I used to live) there were only million dollar homes, expensive sports cars, etc. and smack-dab in the middle of it was Westchester high school: known for alot of violence/conflict. There were two cop cars parked there all day, every day. This is the case all over the city. It can go from bad to good in a one block radius.

Sure, if youre in LA, you can lock yourself up in Beverly Hills and never leave, and it is an advantage to some extent, that the city is so spread out, but at the same time, the 'closeness/small size/busy-ness' of NYC makes it a much safer place in that there are usually other people around if you are roaming Manhattan at 2am, giving it alot of safety.......I read that NYC is actually one of the safest big cities in the U.S. Dunno, if that is what you're arguing against, but anyhow.

Why didn't you guys just wikipedia it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Cities_by_Crime_Rate

East coast seems to have a highest crime rates but in general for overall, West Coast has more? Californian cities are listed bundle of times, check the "100,000-250,000", "60,000-100,000" etc/

Interesting. I actually didn't do much research, but rather, looked for information to piss DDML off since he didn't come over last night.......as promised.

I think it's all just state of mind and preference. People that dig the east coast are going to love it there, and get along with others of the same mentality. And Vice Versa. I lived in Boston for 8 years, and I got into it after a while, but I never felt like the city was mine. Same with NYC. I visited very regularly (my band was based there) and I just never 'gelled' with the scenes there. The parties on the east coast were all very boring, with nobody dancing. A lot of my friends loved the scene there, and they stayed there because that's their thing. Good riddance!

I do think it's awesome how evenly the poll is split though. I just hope most people voted for the coast they actually live on, because that's where they should be! Whoever said it's all about intention and your appreciation of the city is right. If you're a contributing member of the city and take advantage of the opportunities it has to offer, then you belong there, for sure.

haha...just found this thread. i'm voting for east coast. some of you are pretty funny with your crime stories though. on both coasts. allthough, I guess...I grew up midwestern, on the north side of Pittsburgh, PA.

but that thing about 2 cop cars parked at a school doesn't seem that crazy to me. don't know anything about the school itself, but my highschool had a stream of cop cars taking dudes and girls out of school to jail, as well as a few cops throughout the school. we also didn't have bussing so you walked to school. Wasn't the greatest area to walk through, so you learned pretty early on how to not get beat.

There were much worse places just a few blocks in any direction from my house. and much better. I'm sure its like that most places.

recently though, i've been to a couple spots in atl where I'd watch what goes on though. the south is different.

word. guess I didn't really contribute much.

but I now live ON the fucking atlantic. so its east coast.

west coast is for pussies. Everytime I think of west coast, I think of that bullshit sideways movie..."Pinot Noir is soo fucking good." - gay

allthough Opus One is the fucking business.

I didn't say it was crazy that cop cars were parked outside of a school, I was saying that in LA, you often have odd situations in terms of the mixture of bad & good. The point was that in LA, even in an extremely wealthy/upscale neighborhood, you can have a dangerous "block" or "school" or "place" or whatever..........

About your other west coast comment........what? When I think of the east coast, I think of lame old dudes in Sperrys chillin' in Nantucket with seersucker shorts on.

All I have to say is don't make assumptions of Killa cali based on the moronic shows known as the hills and laguna beach.

That said, California is known for violence. Just come out and you'll see the difference between your beloved east coast and the west. The cities england mentioned have fewer population compared to St. Louis, Baltimore, and other such cities. Compton is relatively small to those and still one of United States most dangerous cities. Also to add to England, check San Bernardino. Oh yea, California has the best looking girls :)

*It sucks to have all these gangs running around committing crime. I would rather take a safer city over this shit. smh at LA...

p.s. I'm new here, but I've lurked around for some time though. Time for the noob beat in I guess...

california has better looking girls if you're into blondes.

i am most definitely not into blondes. i like brunettes.

a lot of blonde surfer girls look like boys to me, and i do not get the urge to beat.

onemancult, there are a lot more brunettes than blondes in california. That's why I said to disregard "The Hills" and "Laguna Beach." They only show the rich areas which exclude the diverse cultures California has.

I don't like blondes either and prefer brunettes.

wish california was like mexico? go fuk yourself, thats the last shit we need

no, i said i wish california still belonged to mexico, like it did a long, long time ago.

how can you say that's the last shit you need, and in the post before rep Cerritos?

Do you say it "Sereetos" or "Sehrrrrritos" ?

If the former, cojas SIDA, cabron.