Classical Music

tweeds

that's a pretty list, and some pieces I don't know, like the Respighi piece, and the Chairman Dances.

I'm just a little concerned that a work like Götterdämmerungcould be a little too much for someone who is developing his taste in music. Actually, I think Wagners operas in full only work on stage. Sitting on the couch and listening to the Ring des Nibelungen is not something I would recommend.

And I love Ravels Shéhérazade too :)

that's a pretty list, and some pieces I don't know, like the Respighi piece, and the Chairman Dances.

I'm just a little concerned that a work like Götterdämmerungcould be a little too much for someone who is developing his taste in music. Actually, I think Wagners operas in full only work on stage. Sitting on the couch and listening to the Ring des Nibelungen is not something I would recommend.

And I love Ravels Shéhérazade too :)

I agree with you. Wagner's operas on a whole need the stage presentation for the full effect. This is gesamkunstwerk, after all! However, I think individual selections from many of the operas work well for couch-listening.

The overtures work particularly well, especially:

Overture to Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg

Overture to Rienzi

Overture to Tannhäuser

I'm a sucker for the Prelude and Liebestod (overture and final scene) from Tristan and Isolde...

Also, the the last two operas in the Ring Cycle are filled with many stunning scenes:

From Die Walkure:

Ride Of The Valkyries

Wotan's Farewell and Fire Charm

Götterdämmerung:

Siegfried's Rheinjourney

Siegfried's Funeral March

On that note, Richard Strauss is great for anyone into that sound. I adore the Four Last Songs and have always had a thing for the closing scene of Salome.

• 1 month later...

Download Link: REMOVED

List:

Bach - Mass in B minor

Bach - Goldberg - Varationen

Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra

Beethoven - Symphony No.9

Beethoven/Mozart - Piano Concertos (Part 1/2)

Brahms, Tchaikovsky/Bach-Concertos

Bruckner - Symphony No.9

Chopin - Etudes, Op.25

Debussy - Piano Music (Part 1/2)

Josquin - Missa Pange Lingua

Dvorak - Symphony No.9

Handel - Dixit Dominus

Haydn - String Quartets Opus 76 77 103 (Part 1/2)

Janacek - PianoWorks

Mahler - Symphony No.2

Mozart - Le Nozze di Figaro (Part 1/2)

Mozart - Symphonies 40/41

Mussorgsky - Picturesatan Exhibition

Prokofiev/Ravel - Violin Sonatas

Rachmaninoff/Tchaikovsky - Piano Concertos

Schoenberg/Berg/Webern - Piano Pieces

Schubert - Winterreise

Schubert/Schumann - Fantasies

Schutz - Symphoniae Sacrae III (Part 1/2)

Stravinsky - Le Sacredu Printemps

Stravinsky/Prokofiev/Webern/Boulez - Piano Pieces

Tchaikovsky - Symphonies 4/5/6 (Part 1/2)

Verdi - Otello

Vivaldi - Il cimento dell'armonia e dell'inventione

Liszt - Transcendental Etudes

• 4 months later...

-Bach's Brandenburger Concertos

I know what I like, but my exposure is self-explored and minimal.

Have you heard Trevor Pinnock's earlier recordings of these with the English Concert? Not the most perfectly played, but by far the most energetic I've ever heard. The fifth has the full "cadenza" in a frenzy that will make you wish a Nintendo staffer would program a "Baroque Man" video game.

This is the exact recording I'm talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Brandenburg-Orchestral/dp/B0000057D8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293939114&sr=8-1

as much as i love theirs... i prefer piatigorski + heifetz for the tempo

thanks. are there any books or documentaries on violinists or cellists? i feel like i only know of heifetz...

i was going to post michelangeli or gilels playing it live but this vid has a trippy screenshot of an ozu film and it's gould.

rflHddNo1Nc

recently the only music i've wanted to listen to has been black metal & classical...rachmaninoff's sonata no.2/concerto no.3 are my current favorites

Got any favorite recordings for those two? For the sonata, I recommend Zoltan Kocsis. For the concerto, both recordings by Byron Janis are pretty incredible, but I favor the one with Charles Munch and the BSO. Since you're a metal fan, I'm guessing you'd also like Martha Argerich/Ricardo Chailly and Vladimir Horowitz/John Barbirolli -- both pretty wild renditions.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice to see classical fans here!

Any nice recordings for Brahms' violin concerto to recommend?

Also looking for an interpretation of Mendelssohn's violin concerto like Oistrakh's but of better sound quality. Heifetz's is nice and mighty but I prefer a slower tempo sometimes.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this back up.

Not sure if its classical in the strictest of senses but I have been listening to lots of Arvo Part, Messiaen and Stockhausen of late. Can anyone recommend anything else of a similar style to look into?

also just listened to this, and loved it!

WER60045-50.jpg

Edited by jackg

Bumping this back up.

Not sure if its classical in the strictest of senses but I have been listening to lots of Arvo Part, Messiaen and Stockhausen of late. Can anyone recommend anything else of a similar style to look into?

I suspect you know Gorecki, but if not, try him out since you like Part. His Symphony No. 3 is legendary and fuckin' beautiful. I also dig his 3rd String Quartet.

new yorker article by jeremy denk recording ives

fantastic companion to the album (require subscription though, i will try to scan)

this is a live recording but whatever

also npr's short review

Edited by hyun

• 1 month later...

any other suggestions guys? also been listening to a fair bit of Philip Glass, Aphex Twin and Jean Michel Jarre (eclectic mix i know!)

this was awhile back but you would probably really like steve reich if you haven't stumbled upon his work by now

try music for 18 musicians

• 11 months later...