Scorsese's oscar.

NESK

i didnt watch the awards cause they are bullshit. but i hope scorsese knows how useless that trophy is. he definately has made oscar worthy movies. hes defiantely an amazing director who deserves the greatest accolades in the industry, but not now and not for this film.

the departed is alright. its a solid film. but to win an oscar for a remake of anohter film that came out only a few years ago, and to stack the deck with nicholson, dicaprio, wahlberg, etc. fuck all that. if you cant win with taxi driver, raging bull or goodfellas, you just shouldnt win, period. this is an insult to his career.

and i wanted gosling to take the actor, but i do hear last king of scotland is great, so maybe im not disspaointed yet.

i dont think dicaprio is overrated. he's got definite potential. it shows in scorsese movies too. ever since the gilbert grape flick, i had nothin' but respect. it's just that he had some lame roles in flashy movies.

as for the oscar to scorsese, it's all political. that one oscar represents his past nominations. but i certainly dont think he deserved it just for the departed.

utter bullshit, and it seems to be happening more and more. like when pacino won for scent of a woman, depriving downey junior for chaplin, which was an awesome performance. meryl streep's nomination this year was a joke, too. and remember when judi dench got best supporting for her 16 minutes in shakespeare in love.

I can't believe people still get upset about who gets an Oscar. Entertainment is all it is. The more publicity the better, so handing out a few awards to unexpected nominees is always good to spice up the monday morning watercooler talks. If all awards would be handed out according to expectations, nobody would watch the show.

Isn't the event really about the dresses worn on the red carpet?

I can't believe people still get upset about who gets an Oscar. Entertainment is all it is. The more publicity the better, so handing out a few awards to unexpected nominees is always good to spice up the monday morning watercooler talks. If all awards would be handed out according to expectations, nobody would watch the show.

Isn't the event really about the dresses worn on the red carpet?

seriously. everyone stop getting all bent out of shape about it. the oscars (like the grammys) are only about celebrating the mainstream with a few exceptions (like Little Miss Sunshine this year, although even that BECAME mainstream). was the departed the best film of the year? of course not. is martin scorcese still at the top of the profession? again, no. but more than likely, even HE knows that. these are awards for entertainment from an academy who is already notably conservative (because of the high consentration of older academy members). if you are watching the awards to see the absolute highest quality films validated, you are watching for the wrong reasons. the reason to watch is for the dresses, the impromptu bullshit (like that Jack Black/Will Ferrell/John C. Reilly song and dance, which was very funny), and to see some people do stupid shit (like the American Idol girl cry for no real reason when EVERYONE knew she would win; also she is not a good singer, just don't get it).

plus if you already know it's going to someone mainstream anyway, why not give it to Scorcese since he certainly has made great films in the past. gotta pick your battles.

Swisloc, why are you quoting me? Your post seems to point out that we agree on the subject.

that's why i'm quoting you. because i agree with you. sorry if it implies the opposite, but it seems pretty clear from my first line that i'm agreeing. i guess i could've wrote "quoted for truth" but i hate that.

or are we now only allowed to quote when we disagree?