Effects of snow on denim?

unklesteve

So, after shoveling off the 13 inches of snow that accumulated in my driveway today, I got to wondering...

Has anyone documented, or is anyone aware of the effects of snow on raw denim?

Just curious.

S

SNOW IS FROZEN WATER. WHAT DOES WATER DO TO DENIM? HOW IS THIS A THREAD? WHY AM I TYPING IN CAPS?

Sorry. But seriously...it's just water.

Well, considering the difference between soaking your jeans in hot water or in cold water, I thought there might be an issue when dealing with flat out frozen water.

Yeah, it's a noob question. I'm new here. But plenty of materials react strongly to extreme heat or cold.

For example, have you ever soaked someone's underwear, tied them in a knot, and thrown them in the freezer overnight?

They'll never be the same. Trust me.

i snowboarded in my jeans but...since I tucked my jeans in the snowboardingboots, you could tell the difference between the bottom and top....and since I fell on my ass and sat there, and chilled on my knees once in awhile, their was alot more fading on the knees and ass. It actually didn't get as wet as I expected it would. The jeans absorb a lot intially so it ain't bad.

I dont like salt on anything. Does anyone else remember when people put SAND down to melt the snow? Wont fuck up my leather shoes, better for the environment AND cheaper.

not to nitpick but the reason ice "melts" snow is because when bonded it holds a lower melting/freezing point.. lower than 0 degrees centigrade. so it must be colder than the current temp (usually) to remain frozen. dirt however, wouldn't do the same.. i imagine thats just for traction for your feet/tires .. i found it interesting.. sophomore chemistry haha

but yea i snowskate in my nudies every once and a while and tend to beat myself up pretty bad when i hit the ice. it sort of just accelerates/ further accentuates the fading

not to nitpick but the reason ice "melts" snow is because when bonded it holds a lower melting/freezing point.. lower than 0 degrees centigrade. so it must be colder than the current temp (usually) to remain frozen. dirt however, wouldn't do the same.. i imagine thats just for traction for your feet/tires .. i found it interesting.. sophomore chemistry haha

but yea i snowskate in my nudies every once and a while and tend to beat myself up pretty bad when i hit the ice. it sort of just accelerates/ further accentuates the fading

My dad has a master in chem, I actually knew that. :) But my thing is "shovel, then put sand." as a preferred method. I just cannot stand what the salt does. I also seem to recall something about sand causing snow to melt faster if it's sunny but that could just be wishful thinking.