quality of vintage? specifically boots

shinobi2000

So it's all messy and snowing now in nyc and I realize that my constant procrastination of getting a nice pair of boots has come to bite me in the butt. I've had my heart set on getting a nice weathered pair of boots from somewhere for the longest time now when it suddenly occurred to me -- nicely weathered vintage boots may *look* nice but are they gonna hold up to the elements? Maybe I should just get a decent pair of new ones. For those of you who buy vintage (anything, not just boots), do you buy for quality or looks?

What type of boots are you referring to? Combat boots? Simple leather (such as Chelsea) boots? Snow boots?

You can order great looking custom rubber-soled or composite welt chelsea boots from RM Williams and get options such as waxed (weatherproof) leather, and storm welts (to keep water coming it at the welt seam) for around $200. These look classy and are practical in shitty weather. I can give you info. on getting a MTO pair made if you would like. Just ordered a new pair myself:

http://www.bootsonline.com.au/default1.htm