Being fashionable without wearing high fashion?

jake snake

i don't need high fashion to look good...shit i look good in an old beat up ralph lauren polo and american eagle cargo shorts. i just prefer high end garments for the quality, that's all.

what? i can never picture u shoppin at those places since u always post high end stuff..lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reasonable Prizes, decent quality and last but not least: A safe sleep.

When I first heard of American Apparel I was quite sure that this is some kind of marketing gag and that the clothes there were nothing but expensive and reserved for tree-huggers only. But when I left for college and moved in a house with several “greenies” as you may call them,I was quite surprised. Not only did they not wear sack-like clothing but they were all quite preppy and well dressed.

They had lunch at fancy organic restaurants and were all about fair trade and trying to make the world a better place.

After a short time their lifestyle began to rub off on me in some ways.

I’m still not vegan and I don’t always eat organic food, but as far as clothing is concerned I became so much more aware of the importance of fair trade.

For instance, I avoid wearing clothes which are obviously not produced under fair circumstances for their pricing is far too suspicious. This does not mean that I’m buying expensive clothes only but I would say that I stick with American Apparel and sometimes Fruit of the Loom in almost all respecters of fashion.

If I do not buy fair trade products, I try at least to buy high quality clothes of which I am sure to have them for a long time.

This way I can ensure to be part of a target group that is interested in high quality and not in low pricing only.

I also understand people who are saying that they don’t want to wear unmodern , expensive clothes, but in the recent months there were so many American Apparel stores that evolved who offer really cool new designs, so that this should not be an issue anymore.

On the American Apparel site for instance there are a lot of basic tees , everything rather plain and with plausible simplicity – but for those who like it less plain there are nowadays on-line stores like www.Fugoshop.com where you find new innovative street style and classy designs. I personally favour a rather glamorous style so this is where I get my fancy casual wear.

I think that people need to find a balance between price-dumping and their want for quality, not forgetting to mention the good they do by buying fair trade products.

Most of what the Menswear community at Styleforum and for that matter, Ask Andy, wears is not anything I would wear, short of living in a Communist Bloc nation.

The general dullness of the suits and shoes and accessories, however expensive, is offputting. Nor do I subscribe to the forum "groupthink" that is prevalent that pocket handkerchiefs shouldn't be worn in business circumstances or interviews. I also don't like Allen-Edmonds or Edward Green that much either. The French cordwainers are so much better.

That has to be the most elaborate and on-topic spam I've seen in a long while. Props.

^^ Tiranis states the truth. Get Luke Loser some REP ASAP! BTW I think I read an article somewhere that AA is being sold by it's perv owner and there is a chance that production may be taken overseas. Don't quote me on this shit but it may be true. Anyways if this happens then perhaps you can get back to reality and stop idolizing your tree-hugging roommates. and for the record, yes I own some AA and I think some of the styles are great and it holds up to my expectations which are nil.

As for the OP's topic, there are lots, in fact TONS of great replies already. If prices are too high, try to find a bargain. If you feel like a fraud in a piece of clothing, you probably shouldn't get it. If you need tough gear that will keep you warm while piloting a F-14, go to the same source as the USAF. This is America and there are more options for clothing ourselves than we even know of, as long as you are not a mindless consumer and can take care of your money well enough to support yourself during good times and bad then you should be fine.

On a side note, you know how "Style > fashion" or whatever. The same can be said that "overall health > big muscles." Think about that one.

That has to be the most elaborate and on-topic spam I've seen in a long while. Props.

I was thinking of interesting replies I could come up with for the forum after reading through the first three pages of replies. Right off the bat, the concept of 'authenticity' was challenged. By page two, style was set apart from fashion, and the division was praised. Page three was all about actual garments, and was brought back to the world of physical objects making it really very helpful. I thought I could contribute by mentioning quotes from art historians who pointed out the best way to spot a fake is by how fashionable/desirable it is, Philip K. Dick's lecture on authenticity/historicity as it occured in The Man in the High Castle, and general impressions about what it means to be authentic. I could've said all this, but I registered two days ago and would feel like an utter jackass following three paragraphs of AA spam on post #3.

I could just say what's already been said: wear things that fit you.

There is a serious importance to the fantasy life you attach to the clothes you wear. When you said dark futurist I think I remembered that you were in Japan.(sorry, got the wrong Jake) The styles you are referring to are the subject of popular (science) fiction, in your context. If wearing classic cuts makes you feel like you are something besides a man in jeans, then good. That's what these things are meant to do, and that has a lot to do with the substance of the modern fashion designer's takes on those classic styles.

At this point it might be funny to ask, but have you thought about vintage Levis? I think the price gap between them and Big E repros isn't enough to go with Big E unless you just want a pair of brand new jeans.

All else said, congrats on your growth and keep us posted on your developments.

• 1 year later...
I see what you're saying, but I think that high fashion can really be worth is when it comes to formal wear. A really nice suit will almost always cost a huge amount - however, it'll be coming from Saville Row, not an Armani warehouse ;)

As far as denim goes, that's probably the place where I'll spend the most money. I've been looking for a pair of nice jeans, but all the really nice high fashion jeans don't fit me. Slim fit :mad: I think what I really need is a pair of Levis made how they were made 60 years ago. I can see the quality in APC, Nudies, etc., but I can also see the price is really high for what they are.

True!! you must pay a lot for a good suit because of the fabric and some of the essentials such as a tie, cuff links, shirt, and $440leather shoes. Plus tailoring it to fit your figure cost a chunk.