The definitive - PS3 vs XBOX360 Finale

Haz

SO, many many superfuturians will already be able to get either of these but in the UK and europe we have been left out in the cold with the ps3 until march.

So, my question to those lucky to have experienced both. Which would you buy and why?

I havent included wii here because imo its a different type of console

Get a 360, honestly. The game line-up is simply way better, with 2007 bringing some really good games (Mass Effects, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Darkness, Halo 3, and much more)... if you ever need Blu-ray you can just buy a separate player, but consoles are for gaming and that's where 360 is better at the moment.

(Also this comes from someone who hates Microsoft, so I'm no fanboy... and I do own a 360 myself. I almost went to stand in a line for PS3 launch, then I decided to take a look at the game line-up for 2007.)

And also one personal recommendation in relation to Hi-Def, at the moment you will get much more value from buying an upscaling DVD player like Denon 1930 -- you can get one for around $200 or so, I believe, and what it does is it enhances the normal DVDs to a much better quality. Obviously it's not Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, but most people can hardly tell the difference -- especially on a screen below 50".

I'm with PS3, but not right now. There's no real great games at least until the 3rd-4th quarter of this year, so wait. One of the main reasons sony put the blu-ray in the PS3 is NOT to watch movies but for the capacity of a blu-ray disc . It allows the video game developers to pack more into one disk than what a dvd can handle, allowing more game, graphics, etc. Not only that, but until blu-ray burners and their discs become cheap and prolificate in the market, it'll be harder to pirate games.

And also one personal recommendation in relation to Hi-Def, at the moment you will get much more value from buying an upscaling DVD player like Denon 1930 -- you can get one for around $200 or so, I believe, and what it does is it enhances the normal DVDs to a much better quality. Obviously it's not Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, but most people can hardly tell the difference -- especially on a screen below 50".

The 360 will upconvert dvds up from 480p to 1080p over a vga connection, if your tv has vga. The cable goes for 10 bucks on ebay.

A lot of it just depends on what you want out of your console. For example, hi-def preferences:

XBox360 has HD-DVD as an addon, PS3 comes with Blu-Ray. If you have a preference obviously that would play into the decision. Then, it also depends if you have or plan on getting a 1080p tv verses 1080i. Because 360 games are not on HD-DVDs, they can only upsample to 1080p over vga/component. There are already PS3 games that can do 1080p natively with a lot more coming in the future.

Game lineup currently: the 360 wins this one easily obviously. It has had over a year to develop a solid game lineup. With next-gen consoles the good games don't start to come out for a year or so since it takes awhile for people to figure out the new hardware (see Gears of War just now taking advantage of 100% of the 360's processing power). Therefore look for 2007 to be a great year for 360 games. However, look for PS3 to do the same and to have a monster year of games in 2008.

Controller: this was actually a big factor to me. The 360 controller has a huge heavy battery pack on it. The PS3 controller is a PS2 controller that is so light it feels empty. Both can charge over USB but I like the fact that the PS3 controller is so much lighter.

Online play: you have to pay for XboxLive, while PS3 online play is free. It is too early yet to say which one will provide better service though so I don't know how much you can factor this part into your decision.

For what it is worth I just bought a PS3. I will be the first to admit the game lineup blows and it will be well into this year before there are some respectable games out. If you want a console with a ton of games for right NOW then I would get a 360. I bought a PS3 as a bet that in the long run it will be more successful. Also I am partial to the few remaining exclusives on the PS3 (metal gear solid, final fantasy, gt 5, devil may cry, god of war, etc) verses some of the Xbox exclusives (halo, etc).

As far as the price difference...

With the included Blu-Ray player, and the fact that the controllers are already rechargeable and come with cords, the price tips in the PS3's favour (IF you want the HD-DVD)

HD-DVD is $200 (if you want it), and the Xbox is $17 per controller for the Nyko power kit... and $12 for extra batteries. so if you want four controllers, like me, that's an extra $60

I still bet that both blu-ray and whatever the other one is are going to bomb, at least until more of the population develops a taste for expensive high-definition televisions.

That's the funny thing... here in Europe, Sky has the drop on the entire HD market. I can go to my parent's house, flick onto a movie channel et voila, Sin City in 36" HD goodness (and by god it looks as sexy as the cinema version).

Also, I really prefer the PS controller to anything else.

It feels so natural in my hands.

That's just because you're used to it. I used to think the same about the N64 and Dreamcast controllers, but now they feel odd. Conversely, I'm now used to the PS controller despite hating it back in the bad old days of the PS1. It still bemuses me how that system shifted so many units despite being such a godawful piece of dated technology.

• 3 months later...